Oasis

mufcok

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Wow, that stage is TINY. And where are those tents you can see in the crowd shots? Are they camping in what is now the arena, I.e. before the slope up to the railway line?

Yeah, there used to be public camping along the south side of the Other Stage field. I guess it gradually shrank over the years but there was definitely some remnants there as recently as 2005.

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Wow, that stage is TINY. And where are those tents you can see in the crowd shots? Are they camping in what is now the arena, I.e. before the slope up to the railway line?

Music is pretty dreary though. Leaden.

2 hours ago, incident said:

Yeah, there used to be public camping along the south side of the Other Stage field. I guess it gradually shrank over the years but there was definitely some remnants there as recently as 2005.

They played in the Pyramid area except the Pyramid Stage burnt down just over a week before the festival in 1994 so it was replaced by a a temporary main stage - I cant recall now exactly where it was placed - if it was in front of the old stage but it looks that the temporary main stage may not have been facing the same way as the old stage - certainly when they replaced it ' it was pointing in a different direction ' { I was told that it was for health and safety reasons by making the area larger but many claim otherwise }

I used to stand in the back area of the Mandela Tent and it was possible to see a band on the stage - when they built the current stage it was twisted away so standing in the exact same spot you cant see a bloody thing.

burntstage.1994..jpg

Edited by glasto-worker
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

They played in the Pyramid area except the Pyramid Stage burnt down just over a week before the festival in 1994 so it was replaced by a a temporary main stage - I cant recall now exactly where it was placed - if it was in front of the old stage but it looks that the temporary main stage may not have been facing the same way as the old stage - certainly when they replaced it ' it was pointing in a different direction ' { I was told that it was for health and safety reasons by making the area larger but many claim otherwise }

I used to stand in the back area of the Mandela Tent and it was possible to see a band on the stage - when they built the current stage it was twisted away so standing in the exact same spot you cant see a bloody thing.

burntstage.1994..jpg

That video is of the NME Stage, the old name of the Other, not the Pyramid. It has NME written all over it.

EDIT: or were you just saying they also played the Pyramid that year?

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That video is of the NME Stage, the old name of the Other, not the Pyramid. It has NME written all over it.

EDIT: or were you just saying they also played the Pyramid that year?

well it was 22 years ago - Your Right - I was thinking about Glastonbury 1995 when they did play the temporary main stage so that must have been the NME stage in 1994. 

46 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

well it was 22 years ago - Your Right - I was thinking about Glastonbury 1995 when they did play the temporary main stage so that must have been the NME stage in 1994. 

Yeah I think the NME stage hosted Oasis, Blur, Pulp and Radiohead in 1994, imagine that in 2016.

Edit: Just looked at the lineup poster and the NME stage also had Bjork, Manics, Beastie Boys, Spiritualised & Boo Radleys that year amongst others.

20 minutes ago, ericlered said:

Yeah I think the NME stage hosted Oasis, Blur, Pulp and Radiohead in 1994, imagine that in 2016.

Edit: Just looked at the lineup poster and the NME stage also had Bjork, Manics, Beastie Boys, Spiritualised & Boo Radleys that year amongst others.

An incredible set of names, no doubt, but I'm not sure that many people would argue that any of those bands were at the height of their powers in 1994.  Maybe the Beasties or Boo Radleys, I'm not really qualified to judge.

49 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Boo Radleys were fabulous on record, but never quite managed to cut it live.

Until the one that wasn't bald turned into Elton John. And I also confused the bald one with the 'percussionist' from M-People and the turncoat in the Matrix. I'm good with names, me.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:
1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

An incredible set of names, no doubt, but I'm not sure that many people would argue that any of those bands were at the height of their powers in 1994.  Maybe the Beasties or Boo Radleys, I'm not really qualified to judge.

I'd definitely say Beastie Boys were at the peak of their powers in 94' still in a huff that I missed their Manchester Academy gig that year...

Think I'll download this from youtube incase it disappears at some point. Would love it in better quality but I doubt thats likely. Would be nice if more rare early Oasis stuff like this was released. 

Who actually holds the rights to thos type of stuff? It was channel 4 who broadcast it back then. I've always thought BBC were missing a trick not broadcasting classic full sets their BBC4 late night music schedule for example. They only seen to show the same few every so often, but they must have an absolute shitload stuff. 

33 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Think I'll download this from youtube incase it disappears at some point. Would love it in better quality but I doubt thats likely. Would be nice if more rare early Oasis stuff like this was released. 

Who actually holds the rights to thos type of stuff? It was channel 4 who broadcast it back then. I've always thought BBC were missing a trick not broadcasting classic full sets their BBC4 late night music schedule for example. They only seen to show the same few every so often, but they must have an absolute shitload stuff. 

I agree. Imagine how many classic sets they have between them (CH4+BBC). The amount of unbelievable stuff just sat there rotting away is terrible to think about.

It's ridiculous we had to wait 16 years to hear the full bowie gig for example.