David Bowie RIP

Woffy

20 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Just thought, do you think he could use his permanently dilated eye as some sort of night vision when he's just come it from somewhere bright?

How stoned were you when you posted this?

9 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Finally watched the last five years that I'd recorded before it. Both really good. Lots of the beeb stuff I'd seen before but really enjoyed the last five years. 

Have you seen the skyarts one with Bowie, Prince. Len Cohen + others? Again not much new, but enjoyable (and sad).

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, russycarps said:

How stoned were you when you posted this?

Not at all, just been watching too many videos of Bowie this week, with all the close ups on his eyes.

So, do you think so? He could go for a wee at night, turn the bathroom light on and still be able to see when he went back to bed.

Excuse the source (The Daily Hate), but I thought some people might want to know about the design of the last album cover;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4124280/Hidden-secrets-David-Bowie-s-final-album-revealed-artwork-designer-says-special-features-late-singer-unaware-of.html

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

• 2 months later...

Just found this. From the Beeb in 1979.

A terrific find from John Coulthart. It was “a bit grey out today” on Sunday, May 20, 1979, when the BBC turned Radio One over to David Bowie for a couple of hours. The results were simply delightful—and the session is available in full on YouTube.

Bowie in 1979 was pretty near the top of his game, but then again he seldom seems very far off his game. The tracks Bowie chose to play are as fascinating as those he left off. Several of the artists are to be expected, others entirely unexpected. Bowie, the great popularizer of our time, the man through whom so many influences of the 20th century flowed and were given vital form, you can hear that deep need to show, to bring listeners something new, in every word Bowie utters.

It’s extremely interesting to hear Bowie refer to tracks that are fairly familiar to any decently informed music fan as if nobody knows about them—a lesson in the benefits the Internet (not to mention stacks of CD reissues) has brought, if nothing else.

Track listing
The Doors, “Love Street”
Iggy Pop, “TV Eye”
John Lennon, “Remember”
? & The Mysterians, “96 Tears”
Edward Elgar, “The Nursery Suite” (extract)
Danny Kaye, “Inchworm”
Philip Glass, “Trial Prison”
The Velvet Underground, “Sweet Jane”
Mars, “Helen Fordsdale”
Little Richard, “He’s My Star”
King Crimson, “21st Century Schizoid Man”
Talking Heads, “Warning Sign”
Jeff Beck, “Beck’s Bolero”
Ronnie Spector, “Try Some, Buy Some”
Marc Bolan, “20th Century Boy”
The Mekons, “Where Were You?”
Steve Forbert, “Big City Cat”
The Rolling Stones, “We Love You”
Roxy Music, “2HB”
Bruce Springsteen, “It’s Hard To Be A Saint In The City”
Stevie Wonder, “Fingertips”
Blondie, “Rip Her To Shreds”
Bob Seger, “Beautiful Loser”
David Bowie, “Boys Keep Swinging”
David Bowie, “Yassassin”
Talking Heads, “Book I Read”
Roxy Music, “For Your Pleasure”
King Curtis, “Something On Your Mind”
The Staple Singers, “Lies”

• 6 months later...
10 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Is anyone going to this CELEBRATING DAVID BOWIE thing? there's a gig in london and manchester I think in january. Bandmates and friends doing bowie songs. 

Is this going to be a load of shit?

Dublin too. Was thinking of going before I saw the price of the tickets. Fuck that.

I'll leave my last memory of his music in Dublin on the Reality Tour. 

Edited by The Nal

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Dublin too. Was thinking of going before I saw the price of the tickets. Fuck that.

I'll leave my last memory of his music in Dublin on the Reality Tour. 

How much is it for you lot? London standing tickets are £32.50 (before rip off fees). I didnt think that was too bad really.

28 minutes ago, russycarps said:

How much is it for you lot? London standing tickets are £32.50 (before rip off fees). I didnt think that was too bad really.

Cheapest is €57 so about £50. 

20 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah I know what you mean, but mike garson, gerry leonard, carmine rojas plus others will be there, so it cant be that terrible right...?

No should be decent. Good chance of special guests too. I might toddle along if I can get cheap tickets closer to the date. 

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

Is anyone going to this CELEBRATING DAVID BOWIE thing? there's a gig in london and manchester I think in january. Bandmates and friends doing bowie songs. 

Is this going to be a load of shit?

Im going. Looking forward to it. Setlists look huge and fun.