David Bowie RIP

Woffy

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard the outtakes from Outside? They're around on the Internet (mainly YouTube is varying quality) and they're worth a listen.

I was also listening to the Bowie episode of The Freakier Zone  on iPlayer today that played some rarities.

I'm thinking of writing a list of underappreciated tracks from each album, as soon as I find some more time to waste...

I saw the Blackstar video followed by Valentine's Day on YouTube today and have the following observations:

* Blackstar is an utterly terrific track. It's been overshadowed a bit by his death, with songs like Lazarus and I Can't Give It All Away that resonate more with his passing. I think it will soon be recognised as one of the best things he's ever recorded.

* He looks so, so healthy in Valentine's Day in comparison to Blackstar. In hindsight, the difference was bloody obviously down to something other than 3 years of aging. We should have all been up in arms about how Ill he looked, but the video was so striking in other ways it certainly made me not notice.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

On 25 January 2016 at 1:21 PM, tonyblair said:

it was one of them. I loved Starman too.... At the Rainbow, he sang "there's a starman" - then the band stopped - "over the rainbow", a la Judy Garland, which was lovely

being a fan of Ms Garland myself....

I found this on YouTube :) 

On 1/26/2016 at 9:22 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Blackstar is an utterly terrific track. It's been overshadowed a bit by his death, with songs like Lazarus and I Can't Give It All Away that resonate more with his passing. I think it will soon be recognised as one of the best things he's ever recorded.

I fully agree with you there. I can easily see Blackstar entering my Bowie top 5.

25 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've been watching the Glass Spider Tour on nowtv tonight.

Thank god my laptop is nearly out of battery.

I was there! And I left Glastonbury to get there. I was on the back of my friends motorbike, we left Sunday lunchtime 1987, missing Van Morrison, to see DB in Cardiff. Glad I saw him, but it was not his best tour.

I've been watching it on my Sky box, actually recorded it last year and started working my way through it before Christmas. I can do about 2 or 3 tracks in a sitting...

On 19/01/2016 at 6:36 PM, GlastoSimon said:

Didn't Johnny Cash also turn down Coldplay shortly before his death? I'm not saying they're connected but its a pretty unlucky coincidence.

Finally downloaded the entire Glastonbury set, courtesy of The Nal. Thank you so much! It really is something pretty magical listening to these live versions - some for the first time since actually being there. No shame in saying it brought tears to my eyes (again)...

That live version of Station to Station is incredible, and brought back some very happy memories, jumping up and down in that field nearly 16 years ago. Ahhhhh. We were very lucky to have been there!