David Bowie RIP

Woffy

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a  perfect, warm, Somerset evening in the last weekend of the first June of a new millennium, this happened. One of the happiest nights of my life. Bowie will live forever in memories, because he was universally acknowledged as uniquely special...

27 minutes ago, bamber said:

On a  perfect, warm, Somerset evening in the last weekend of the first June of a new millennium, this happened. One of the happiest nights of my life. Bowie will live forever in memories, because he was universally acknowledged as uniquely special...

I wish I could go back in time and tell my foolish 22 year old self to lay off the acid and cider for one afternoon and appreciate the genius that was performing later that day. As it it my recollection of the gig in 2000 is hazy at best. Still proudly tell anyone who'll listen "I was there".

Thank god for YouTube. 

RIP sir.  X

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

what are the chances of the 2000 glastonbury gig being in an archive somewhere and put on telly as a tribute? Would be absolutely sensational, there's only a handful of songs on youtube,

BBC will surely have the whole gig won't they? They have managed to show Pulp and Radiohead from the mid 90's in recent years, so you would think they have it. They will definitely have a tribute night to him, probably on BBC4 on a Friday or Saturday.

Horrible news anyway, I can't believe it. I hadn't even got around to listening to the new album yet, but the references to death I have been reading about are quite haunting. What a talented guy.

Still feel like someone is just messing around with me and any second now someone is just going to come into my room and say "HA! GOT YOU!"

Was one of the greatest artists that ever lived. Haven't listened to Blackstar yet but I plan on doing so today. Probably going to listen to a lot more Bowie albums first (listening to The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust now) and letting Blackstar the way to end it.

Glastonbury and Bowie come from the same place don't they?

They both strike me as being very English (not to get all UKIP about things) and I think our culture is so much richer for being able to produce people like him and events like Glastonbury.

Just seeing the range of tributes for Bowie is amazing, from the Rolling Stones, to the Archbishop of Canterbury and pretty much everyone in the middle...

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This performance was the first to make me realise he still had songs left in him.  Shame about the remix from the Pet Shop Boys:

Outside is his most underrated album ever.  

Cracking choice.  I got in from work this morning, saw the news and just uttered "oh no" to myself.

My last day off I had a bowie day, which ended up inspiring an evening of tunes I'd noticed his influence on earlier.  I don't think an artist passing has had such a dramatic effect on the people of this country since Freddie Mercury, the outpouring on social media and how it is being covered by the news media just speaks volumes about the respect we all have for him.

I've read today that he has had 6 heart attacks in recent years. It's amazing that he has managed to leave the world on such a high note, and has bowed out the way he wanted to. It just goes to show how way off the mark we all were though in hoping he might play again. There was never any chance, his body must have been massively frail.

28 minutes ago, russycarps said:

what are the chances of the 2000 glastonbury gig being in an archive somewhere and put on telly as a tribute? Would be absolutely sensational, there's only a handful of songs on youtube,

Get it on the Pyramid Screens on the wednesday night.

If they can put the football on, they can do that

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Get it on the Pyramid Screens on the wednesday night.

If they can put the football on, they can do that

Thats a great idea. Lets bombard the Glasto/Eavis social media accounts with the idea.

May have to get permission from Bowie HQ aswell. The artists have control over whats shown don't they?