Neil Young

glasshousebill

Been looking at setlists from this tour to get an idea of what we're in for. Really varied, which is nice to see. Surprisingly, Winterlong, Words Between The Lines Of Age, and Long May You Run are getting quite a few outings, which is good for me as they're some of my favourite songs of his. Sadly, not a lot of Cortez The Killer, which is a bit of a bugger, but hopefully this wont be the only time I see him.

Cruising along to Shakey LPs in chronological order may seem like a good idea, were it not for that big, fuck off, inevitable rock in the middle of the road that is "Everybody's Rockin"

Any way you look at it, its coming.

Good luck with that.

Car Crash aside, there are songs on some of those albums that will stir your primeval soul.

This why we all love Neil Yong.

Edited by bamber

I think the Crazy Horse gig went past it's scheduled finish time and there were folk streaming out to make the last departure from Exhibition Centre.

In fact, I seem to remember him referencing it from the stage.

Further complicated this time around by the fact that it's a Sunday night so there are probably fewer low level trains.

1 hour ago, Chawk said:

Does anyone know/ can guess what time the Glasgow gig will finish? The last train from Queen Street back to Stirling is 23:47 so not sure whether I'll make it..

My last train to Edinburgh is 11:30 and I've never missed it for a Glasgow gig. There's a train station across the road, over the overpass called Exhibition Centre. Get a train from there (every few mins) to Central Station then walk over to Queen St. I would guess you'd even have time for a pint before you board. 

18 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I think the debut is better than most do. The loner, what have you done to my life, I've been waiting, I've loved her so long all brilliant. The last song is weak and goes on for ever but ignoring that I really like it. 

Hawks and Doves one of the good surprises for me.

Some nice footage of The Loner here

Has everyone realised that the o2 date clashes with the 2nd England game in the Euros?

I've already got my tickets, but after this realisation my girlfriend no longer wants to go.. what am I to do! It will be my 3rd time seeing Neil Young, but the setlists on this tour aren't like what I've seen before..

4 minutes ago, Al2006 said:

Has everyone realised that the o2 date clashes with the 2nd England game in the Euros?

I've already got my tickets, but after this realisation my girlfriend no longer wants to go.. what am I to do! It will be my 3rd time seeing Neil Young, but the setlists on this tour aren't like what I've seen before..

If she wants to watch England more than seeing Neil Young then she aint for you mate!

"Grandad tell me again why you missed that concert when Neil Young started with a solo 6 song greatest hits set and then played a killer set with the band and finished with Revolution Blues?"

"Oh well, I didn't want to miss the 2nd half of England vs Russia".

P.S. Re-ac-tor is awful.

Edited by The Nal

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

60s and 70s done. Hawks and Doves currently blaring. Re-ac-tor next. So 1/3 of the way through.

American Stars and Bars probably the weakest of everything so far, debut aside. Zuma is fairly ploddy aswell.

Really? Zuma is pretty damn awesone. Obvious Cortez aside, Barstool Blues is a killer, Danger Bird is brilliant, and I always keep coming back to 'Don't Cry No Tears' and 'Lookin For a Love' - classic beautiful young tunes. The only weak part really is the Stupid Girl-Drive Back combo - pretty mediocre by Young's standard.

I'll say Zuma is definitely better than Harvest, and at least on par with Rust Never Sleeps.

Comes a Time is also really underrated - stuff like Peace of Mind, Lotta Love, Going Back, Human Highway are absolutely beautiful. And even though I know it's a cover, I can't get enough of Four Strong Winds. 

Edited by yaniv297
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Chawk said:

Does anyone know/ can guess what time the Glasgow gig will finish? The last train from Queen Street back to Stirling is 23:47 so not sure whether I'll make it..

The Hydro's license means all 'punters' need to be out by 11, so I would imagine a 10.30pm finish.

On that note..if anyone knows of anyone looking for 2 tickets to the Glasgow show I stupidly got tickets not realising I'm still at Primavera when it's on..

Thanks to everyone for the travel reassurance I'll not be walking round Glasgow till 6am!

10 minutes ago, White Bear said:

On that note..if anyone knows of anyone looking for 2 tickets to the Glasgow show I stupidly got tickets not realising I'm still at Primavera when it's on..

Are they standing? Would you be interested in selling just one? I'll ask around

16 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

the way things are going, Nal and Jokers are gonna overtake me, but here are the latest reviews.

Doubt that very much. Only in the mid/late 80s. Landing on Water on here. Actually pretty good once I got over the awful 80s Rocky movie soundtrack production. A few decent tunes on there. 

16 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Le Noise: Just this minute finished this. Wow! After the shite of Fork in the Road, this was a breath of fresh air. Loved it. Gonna buy it. the two acoustic tracks as good as any he's done, and the other 6 tracks I thought were great - if, again lyrically dubious ("Hitchhiker," I'm looking at you).

Yep. No need for me to wait for that one to comment. One of my favourites. 

This is essential viewing.