Neil Young

glasshousebill

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Hope you foreigners that came over from mancland and the like thought it was worth the trip.

Not really a foreigner as from Sheffield but as an indication of how worth the trip it was for us - we should have left around 10.30 to get our last train back.  At 10.27 me and Mr Mandolin looked at each other, said "fuck it" and stayed until the end.  £90 taxi.  Worth every penny.  (And, yes, I know we're very lucky do be able to do that)

9 hours ago, Dominic1983 said:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-young-promise-of-the-real/2016/first-direct-arena-leeds-england-bfe1d4a.html

1. After the Gold Rush

2. Heart of Gold

3. Comes a Time

4. The Needle and the Damage Done

5. Mother Earth (Natural Anthem)

6. From Hank to Hendrix

7. Out on the Weekend

8. Unknown Legend

9. Wolf Moon

10. Words (Between the Lines of Age)

11. Winterlong

12. Walk On

13. If I Could Have Her Tonight

14. Down by the River

15. Powderfinger

16. Cowgirl in the Sand

17. Mansion on the Hill

18. Love to Burn

19. Rockin' in the Free World

Encore:

20. When You Dance, I Can Really Love

21. Fuckin' Up

Wow, that is just...an epic set list...

Crossing my fingers for something similar in the big smoke tomorrow!

He was fantastic in Glasgow but that set tops it, would've loved to have heard Cowgirl, Powderfinger and When you Dance.

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Imagine if you'd missed the last 40mins? No "when you dance." No "Love to Burn." Would you have missed Cowgirl in the sand? I would have never let you forget :D

No, it was after Cowgirl but can't remember when exactly the "fuck it" moment happened.  But, like you, I'd never have forgiven myself (or Mr M) for missing a single note and I really, really didn't want my abiding memory of that gig to be having to leave early.

As an aside, never been to Leeds arena before.  Impressive venue and great acoustics.  Will definitely go there again.  

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Just out of interest, whereabouts were you stood last night?

Dead centre really, half way back. We pitched up at Laura Marling was coming on (who surprised me, I really enjoyed her set) and then just stuck there.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Wasn't you then. These days it's rare I feel young at gigs, but at one point thought I may be youngest person there. Then 3 or 4 whippersnappers stood in front of me and one of them was proper into it. "Wonder if that's lawn" I thought. But didn't have balls to ask in fear of looking like a weird tit of an old man. Correct decision.

Laura Marling was dead good, yes. We got there about 30 seconds into her first song. 

HA! You would have severely embarassed yourself and had to go find somewhere else to stand. I was there with my dad and no other whippersnappers. I did wonder if the loud Chewbacca style howls of approval were coming from you though.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

11 hours ago, Dominic1983 said:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-young-promise-of-the-real/2016/first-direct-arena-leeds-england-bfe1d4a.html

1. After the Gold Rush

2. Heart of Gold

3. Comes a Time

4. The Needle and the Damage Done

5. Mother Earth (Natural Anthem)

6. From Hank to Hendrix

7. Out on the Weekend

8. Unknown Legend

9. Wolf Moon

10. Words (Between the Lines of Age)

11. Winterlong

12. Walk On

13. If I Could Have Her Tonight

14. Down by the River

15. Powderfinger

16. Cowgirl in the Sand

17. Mansion on the Hill

18. Love to Burn

19. Rockin' in the Free World

Encore:

20. When You Dance, I Can Really Love

21. Fuckin' Up

Wow, that is just...an epic set list...

Crossing my fingers for something similar in the big smoke tomorrow!

Jealous, that is an unreal setlist.

4 hours ago, Wakey321 said:

Incredible night last night! Neil was on top form and even had a bit of banter with the audience. (Responding to a heckle about playing Like A Hurricane.) Setlist was superb! Great crowd and always a great venue. 

I echo this very much. It as a stupendous set and the band were superb. First time at the arena and it is brilliant, especially when compared to MENA and the O2.

i traveled back to Manc on the last train and listened to some old Shakey fans, one guy had seem him 8 times since 1975 - and he said it was the most relaxed and in the groove he can remember Neil being.

this has set me up for the farm in the most wonderful way.....

How does he sound that good still at 70? 

The new band are great too, they are really digging being up there.

Crowd was stunned into silence for the opening. Also he jogged my memory on many songs i like but don't listen to all that often. 

Love to Burn and F#cking up were highlights for me!

Edit: never mind Coldplay and Muse playing for the umpteenth time, they should have booked Neil for the headline slot again.

Edited by WS_Jack_III

39 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Edit: never mind Coldplay and Muse playing for the umpteenth time, they should have booked Neil for the headline slot again.

That setlist would have absolutely killed the Pyramid field, there's really very little else you could ask for. Some of the beginning may have been a little lost in another environment, but he's a pro, would definitely have made it work. But, I have 3 Glastonbury headliners sorted that I'm excited for, and I got to see Neil do an incredible set, so I'm more than happy. The real winner would have been if Latitude had booked him for the barren wasteland of their Sunday, instead of bloody New Order.

10 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Would love to see him do a totally solo gig - like Cellar Door or Massey hall from the 70s.

Yeah I could happily have watched a full 3 hours of the solo stuff, I could happily have watch a full 3 hours of Promise Of The Real as well. Didn't realise two of them are Willie Nelson's sons.

9 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Dunno about it being lost. Needle and the damage done worked really well on pyramid. 

More After The Gold Rush and Mother Earth might not have gone down as well, but I think the whole beginning segment was definitely boosted by the fact that there's nowhere in that arena that you feel far from the stage, and no tossers with flags.

I know that last night was populated by fans in a way that the Pyramid field may not be (I wasn't there in 2009 dammit) but there was absolute silence when he was doing the solo stuff.  It was amazing how he held the audience of (insert capacity of the venue) on his own.  We were sitting well towards the back and could hear every single nuance of every single note.  Don't think he'd get away with a whole set like that at Glastonbury but could, I think, get away with the four he did on his own at Leeds.  F*ck that was some gig last night.

3 minutes ago, When Jokers Attack said:

Was it last night he proclaimed, "Fuck you Donald Trump" during Free world? Just saw the video he posted on his FB.

Yes it was - just as they were starting the song, I seem to remember.

1 hour ago, When Jokers Attack said:

Was it last night he proclaimed, "Fuck you Donald Trump" during Free world? Just saw the video he posted on his FB.

The comments section is bloody terrifying. Pretty sure that was from last night, unless he just says it at every show.

1 hour ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I thought he was lip syncing at first. Couldn't believe how good he still sounds.

I did wonder a little bit. He did not perform those 70s songs like they were 40 years old at all, he performed them like he'd just come out of the studio, I've never seen anything like it from a "legacy" artist, a real masterclass.

1 hour ago, mandolin said:

Completely forgot Mother Earth!  I am an idiot.

That was fantastic on the organ, one of the highlights for me. Words Between The Lines Of Age, Winterlong, Down By The River, Unknown Legend have all stuck firmly in my memory as well.

12 minutes ago, Ed209 said:

2 words: Revolution Blues

Exceptional gig. To see shakey and his old black tear it up like he was at the end was an absolute joy

Assuming you were at the gig tonight then?  If so, hope you enjoyed it half as much as I did Leeds last night.  It was an absolute honour to see the man (and the band) perform.