Neil Young

glasshousebill

On 06/06/2016 at 0:21 AM, blue6field said:

Just back from the Glasgow show tonight, absolutely incredible performance and set list, over 2 and half hours! What an incredible band Promise of the real are!

Anyone going to any of the other dates on the tour are in for a real treat!!

I'll be in Leeds on Friday! Looking forward to it

We got an epic version of Love to Burn last night. And yeah, Ohio. Great great gig that got better as it went on.

The new band really work. Not often you see someone of Neils age on stage and know you're watching a working artist relevant to today and not just some greatest hits shtick. Liked the newer stuff and even the "hits" were almost re interpreted and incorporated into his current mindset. The back of the arena was decked out with info stands, organic stalls etc.,

And it was a Ragged Glory heavy setlist too which I loved. Also a shout out for Someday which was glorious.

Edited by The Nal

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Good to hear. On paper the setlist looks good without being mindblowing so nice to hear it was better in the flesh.

How long was he on for?

2 hours 30 ish. Setlist is mindblowing on paper (for me anyway) and in the flesh. 

Never thought I'd see a Neil show with such a good setlist. 

26 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The new band really work. Not often you see someone of Neils age on stage and know you're watching a working artist relevant to today and not just some greatest hits shtick. Liked the newer stuff and even the "hits" were almost re interpreted and incorporated into his current mindset. The back of the arena was decked out with info stands, organic stalls etc.,

I dunno, man.  It seemed like a fairly straightforward interpretation of the hits to these ears - and the low points of the gig were the few bits of material from the last 20 (!) years, with that Monsanto song being a definite dud.

The band were surprisingly on point, though.  Despite looking like the Kings of Leon.

42 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Fair enough. Same as gonzo i thought Belfast's looked better. Can't wait for tomorrow now. 

Googled Neil Young Dublin review when I first got up and say a load of horrible headlines. Wasn't till it clicked that they all said crazy horse that I realised they were from the psychedelic pill tour. :)

Which I missed and looked superb. @Wooderson was at it and loved it.

35 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dunno, man.  It seemed like a fairly straightforward interpretation of the hits to these ears - and the low points of the gig were the few bits of material from the last 20 (!) years, with that Monsanto song being a definite dud.

I liked it! Maybe it was me overly keen to make things fit, or maybe it was because I was drinking pints of red wine, but it all seemed to fit perfectly for me as a setlist. 

At the end of the gig I felt like I was watching a totally new band. Neil seemed 30 or 40 years younger. Incredible energy. 

And as we were leaving 6 or 7 fire engines descended on the place. Found it this morning it was because two twats jumped into the river and had to be rescued. 

Edited by The Nal

Really looking forward to tomorrow night in Leeds.

All the setlists have been mixed so ive just been listening to all the albums between his debut and Harvest Moon really. Also some of the Monsato Years stuff aswell.

The venue is great also at Leeds Arena for anyone who hasn't been before. (My dad was one of the acoustic engineers that worked on it)

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

I went to Newcastle and loved it but majority of crowd were non-plussed. Friend of a friend swore never to see or listen to him again (he was brought along only knowing heart of gold and rocking in the free world).

Maybe they were protesting at the lack of down by the river. 

Your friend's friend sounds like a stain of a bloke.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Can see how that'd jar a bit. I was gutted to get rocking in the free world as when others had got hurricane last time out but only cos had seen it - and so much better - at glastonbury. 

20+ years gig going and i've never been as soaked in beer as I was after some prick knocked a full pint over my head last night during Free World. I've had swims where I've come out of the water dryer. Only positive take home is that my coeliac Mrs wasnt there and thus didnt get poisoned.

11 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Can see how that'd jar a bit. I was gutted to get rocking in the free world as when others had got hurricane last time out but only cos had seen it - and so much better - at glastonbury. 

He finished with Hurricane in Liverpool a couple of years back and it was so f*cking amazing to see that song live; I'm hoping he plays it in London on Saturday! 

He opened a recent gig with a 43 minute version of Down by the River - I love his audacity; no-one else could get away it!

Properly buzzing about tomorrow night.  Never been to the O2. Is it a decent venue? As wooderson says, it doesn't matter what he plays,  cos you know he's gonna do it well. I saw him at Hyde Park few years back and there was a couple songs he played for 20 min each,  but he kicked arse 

Leeds spoiled rotten for gigs since the new venue opened lads? :P:thumbsu: Has Shakey ever played there before?

As for the commentary on song length. Anyone get sufficiently turned on by Neil's jammarooney vibes come talk to me on here about the 'Dead after.

Awesome hardly does it justice but I'll leave Scruff to give all the details - I'm still buzzing too much to put a proper sentence together.  Thank you whoever it was on here who encouraged me to buy a ticket - I owe you beers!  

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Well I think leeds have won the setlist war. At least in the heavier second half section. Awesome. Will elaborate more tomorrow but need to get home and sleep as at work in seven hours. 

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-young-promise-of-the-real/2016/first-direct-arena-leeds-england-bfe1d4a.html

1. After the Gold Rush

2. Heart of Gold

3. Comes a Time

4. The Needle and the Damage Done

5. Mother Earth (Natural Anthem)

6. From Hank to Hendrix

7. Out on the Weekend

8. Unknown Legend

9. Wolf Moon

10. Words (Between the Lines of Age)

11. Winterlong

12. Walk On

13. If I Could Have Her Tonight

14. Down by the River

15. Powderfinger

16. Cowgirl in the Sand

17. Mansion on the Hill

18. Love to Burn

19. Rockin' in the Free World

Encore:

20. When You Dance, I Can Really Love

21. Fuckin' Up

Wow, that is just...an epic set list...

Crossing my fingers for something similar in the big smoke tomorrow!

5 hours ago, Dominic1983 said:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-young-promise-of-the-real/2016/first-direct-arena-leeds-england-bfe1d4a.html

1. After the Gold Rush

2. Heart of Gold

3. Comes a Time

4. The Needle and the Damage Done

5. Mother Earth (Natural Anthem)

6. From Hank to Hendrix

7. Out on the Weekend

8. Unknown Legend

9. Wolf Moon

10. Words (Between the Lines of Age)

11. Winterlong

12. Walk On

13. If I Could Have Her Tonight

14. Down by the River

15. Powderfinger

16. Cowgirl in the Sand

17. Mansion on the Hill

18. Love to Burn

19. Rockin' in the Free World

Encore:

20. When You Dance, I Can Really Love

21. Fuckin' Up

Wow, that is just...an epic set list...

Crossing my fingers for something similar in the big smoke tomorrow!

That looks pretty much perfect.  Maybe slip in cortez the killer somewhere. Seen him 4 times now and never seen him play it live. Tonight is gonna be ace