Neil Young

glasshousebill

5 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Top three are on the beach Tonight's the night and everybody knows for me. Change my mind in which order regularly but I think beach tops it. I'd forgotten about arc but ill persevere. 

Scruffy you are the light as I navigate through the dark of Neil Young's back catalogue. I thank you.

23 minutes ago, Homer said:

To put this in context, the next three gigs in a row at the O2 are Simply Red, The Corrs and Jason Derulo - so the chances of something decent coming up aren't exactly great!

29 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Oh no. You poor bastard! :-)

On 20 December 2015 at 9:09 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Not sure I'd start with tonight's the night or on the beach though. 

Start with everybody knows or after the goldrush then harvest. 

For the heavier ( for want of a better word) stuff try ragged glory or Zuma or even the more recent psychedelic pill or for a mix rust never sleeps (ignoring welfare mothers).

Cheers again. I have on the beach and really like it, and Harvest. Appreciate the advice. It's all largely good with a lot of sublime stuff I find *:-)

* With occasional weird tracks that I don't understand why they ever mad the cut...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

that's quite a bill for the final 3 days of New Orleans Jazz Fest

Paul Simon/My Morning Jacket (fri) Stevie Wonder/Snoop/Beck/Buddy Guy (sat) and Neil on Sun w/ a few tribute jams to BB King and also Allen Toussaint

Its an absolute piss take of a lineup. And an incredible city.

How was McCaslin et al last night?

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

How was McCaslin et al last night?

pretty amazing....i know you knocked the the Boss doing 'Rebel Rebel' the other night but Mccaslin and trio did an amazing version of 'Warszawa' in tribute. just incredible. other than that, he was respectful and quietly emotional, saying w/ difficulty that they were given an amazing opportunity, etc..

nice fellow too, got to chatting with him after show as he was signing cds and he took me and my mate back to the small dressing room for a bit, met the full band...I asked offhand if any of the UK festivals had contacted him in past week for appearances ("like Glastonbury") and he said "one in Scotland, near Glasgow" but more or less said "we'll see" but nothing else that indicated that he had committed anything to them.

i told him Stu would be in touch with his bowie tent idea....here's a pic w/ Mccaslin last night if i can attach it properly

IMG_7682.JPG

13 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

pretty amazing....i know you knocked the the Boss doing 'Rebel Rebel' the other night but Mccaslin and trio did an amazing version of 'Warszawa' in tribute. just incredible. other than that, he was respectful and quietly emotional, saying w/ difficulty that they were given an amazing opportunity, etc..

nice fellow too, got to chatting with him after show as he was signing cds and he took me and my mate back to the small dressing room for a bit, met the full band...I asked offhand if any of the UK festivals had contacted him in past week for appearances ("like Glastonbury") and he said "one in Scotland, near Glasgow" but more or less said "we'll see" but nothing else that indicated that he had committed anything to them.

i told him Stu would be in touch with his bowie tent idea....here's a pic w/ Mccaslin last night if i can attach it properly

IMG_7682.JPG

On first glance I thought that was a red arrow pointing at his head.

16 hours ago, tevaburger said:

Thats cool. Great song choice too. 

Springsteens tribute was shown up by Madonna of all people!

Still a Glasto shaped hole in Neils tour.....Graham Nash also on tour with a new album.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

And then, the promise of a return to form - "Freedom". The first album in a decade that showed (for me) that he could recapture his 70's heyday. I'd filed this under "Rocking in the Free Worls + 1 or 2 ok tracks but not really worth a listen" in my head, but it's better than that. Crime in the City, Don't Cry, Wrecking Ball, Too Far Gone all cracking tunes. One I'll be listening to more frequently in future. 

Freedom is a great album, right up there with anything since Rust Never Sleeps imho. Very strange that he should release his first outstanding piece of work in years just a couple of weeks after Dylan did the same (with Oh Mercy).

On 16/12/2015 at 10:08 PM, chuckles07 said:

The videos in this article are brilliant!

Neil Young was my first ever pyramid headliner.

And it is has been down hill ever since.......

at first I was thinking about 1997 - the year he pulled out though a cut finger.

but you mean 2009 - this was the setlist.

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
Mansion On The Hill
Are You Ready For The Country?
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Spirit Road
Words
Cinnamon Girl
Mother Earth
The Needle And The Damage Done
Comes A Time
Unknown Legend
Heart Of Gold
Down By The River
Get Behind The Wheel
Rockin' In The Free World
A Day In The Life

I have been lucky as I have worked at many concerts where he was playing including Hop farm in 2008 and I made certain there would be no clash with shifts .

this was the setlist at Hop farm 2008

Love And Only Love
Hey Hey, My My
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere 
I've Been Waiting For You
Spirit Road
Fuckin' Up
Oh, Lonesome Me
Mother Earth
The Needle And The Damage Done
Unknown Legend
Heart Of Gold
Old Man
Get Back To The Country
Words
No Hidden Path
A Day In The Life

and the Phoenix Festival in 1996

this was the setlist.

Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
Down by the River
Powderfinger
Big Time
Slip Away
The Needle and the Damage Done
Sugar Mountain
Heart of Gold
Cinnamon Girl
Fuckin' Up
Cortez the Killer
Music Arcade
Like a Hurricane
Sedan Delivery
Danger Bird
Rockin' in the Free World

a video clip from that year https://youtu.be/aOVbt_zNQvg

I know that many were not keen on the Phoenix Festival but working at it was just pure magic but of course we used to arrive a day before the public so we missed all the bad traffic jams.

on checking the dates came across this cracking shot { which I have not seen before } of the Pyramid area in 1997 { as many will know the stage burnt down in 1994 } - the actual guest bar is the large white tent with blue strips and I used to work in there - from memory the larger tent was some type of press office.

it would be great if I could see him again but not sure where that will be.

9795-view-0.jpg