Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom Wells

Young People and Glastonbury

Right, so I've just been told that someone has had the absolute piss ripped out of them by their mates because they have a Glastonbury ticket and they're not really interested in going to Reading with their mates.

To clarify, the person in question is 16, and their mates are the same age.
Does anyone have any insight as to why kids think  Reading is a better festival than Glasto?

1 minute ago, Tom Wells said:

Right, so I've just been told that someone has had the absolute piss ripped out of them by their mates because they have a Glastonbury ticket and they're not really interested in going to Reading with their mates.

Does anyone have any insight as to why kids think  Reading is a better festival than Glasto?

Because throwing Piss and wood shavings is absolute Banter and anyone who says otherwise is an old Glastonbury goer.

Because Glastonbury is full of people old enough to be their parents.

The daft little pricks should be going to boomtown not reading though by all accounts so no-one comes out of this well

2 minutes ago, Tom Wells said:

Those kids are taking the piss because they're going to Reading and not Glastonbury and that's what kids do.

If you're asking why they're choosing to go to Reading instead of Glastonbury in the first place, it's because unlike Glastonbury that festival is catered towards them and in the average sixth form or whatever (outside of Somerset) you're going to have dozens more people that go to Reading and Leeds instead so they're going to hear about it, see it on Facebook or whatever and think they want a bit of that.

I'm old these days, but my first festival was Glastonbury in 1994. I was 16.

I've never felt the need to go to Reading.

3 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I'm very old these days and my first festival was Bath in 1968.  But I've also never felt the need to go to Reading.

21 minutes ago, Tom Wells said:

I had an Irish friend who hated Mustard.

Does anyone have any insight as to why the Irish hate Mustard?

16 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

My first festival was Glastonbury.

And I like mustard.

Bit I'm not Irish.

How old am I?

10 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

I had an Irish friend who hated Mustard.

Does anyone have any insight as to why the Irish hate Mustard?

Are you demented? I'm Irish and I fucking love Mustard. Nowt better than a roast beef sammich of an evening with lashings of colmans and cheese on squidgy fresh white bread. Nom!

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

And I like mustard.

Bit I'm not Irish.

How old am I?

Not a day over 21, I'd say. 

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

Not a day over 21, I'd say. 

I really should grow the fuck up, shouldn't I?

3 minutes ago, Woffy said:

And I like mustard.

Bit I'm not Irish.

How old am I?

Proud that you mustard the courage to admit that.

3 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Are you demented? I'm Irish and I fucking love Mustard. Nowt better than a roast beef sammich of an evening with lashings of colmans and cheese on squidgy fresh white bread. Nom!

This must mean your first Glastonbury was 2014.

2 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

I had a friend once who liked well done steak

Does anyone have any idea why anyone would ruin a perfectly good piece of meat like that?

I hate these people.

5 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

I had a friend once who liked well done steak

Does anyone have any idea why anyone would ruin a perfectly good piece of meat like that?

Is your friend 16? Do they go to Reading/Leeds?

I think it's beginning to come full circle. The original 'Glastonbury kids' have kept coming back and now bring their own kids - so it's no bad thing to have us oldies there!

My daughter turns 14 next week and has been going to Glastonbury, albeit only for the Sunday when she was really young, since she was 1

She loves going and other kids at her school are hoping to go with their older siblings in 2017 (assuming I haven't mixed up the fallow years).

For us, not being too local now, it's not the place many of the parents go to, so it's just not as 'well known' - or easy to get to as say Reading for the kids.

We now go in a group which includes other kids and they will have increasing amounts of freedom to explore and enjoy Glastonbury on their own terms.

They are the next generation who will either keep Glastonbury special and influence it's evolution, or get bored of it and it will wither up and disappear with the oldies.

As I said, the 'kids' in our group love it.

36 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Bloody heathen, should be horseradish. 

.and back to the original post, anyone that rates Reading over Glastonbury(sorry, but I can't bring myself to type Glasto)  obviously has either been to Reading and not Glastonbury or has been to neither. 

Feel qualified to comment on this, been to Reading a few times and Glastonbury more than Reading.

31 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Bloody heathen, should be horseradish. 

Horseradish with mackerel heathen 

I'm rather fond of venison although it can be pricey.

They were doing a deal in our local farmer's market recently. Eight legs of venison for seventy five quid.

Is that too deer?

as a  youngish person (19 at the time) at glastonbury i met people of all ages at glasto, and they talk to me (us) as equals, openly and often had really great insight to what made glasto so special, these moments were what made glastonbury, i went to boomtown as well which was great but nothing like that