Sigur Ros

admscott

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

When I sat and listened to it (after urging from someone on here) I literally thought 'shit the bed, where have this lot been all my life?!'

Yeah. Good track. Just a shame about how Jonsi's lyrics have changed so much over time. I mean I didn't even know that Iceland had an immigration problem at all.

3 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Be fair, Brennisteinn is an absolute beast of a track.

Don't misunderstand me, Leachy old chum, I do like Brennisteinn and Kveikur as a whole record. It's just that it's the record that I like slightly less compared to the others. I'm more likely to play Valtari or Von than Kveikur.

I have loved them so much for so long, that in recent years I've become a little bit frustrated with their live sound. Not that I am so narrow-minded as to expect them to stay the same forever, just not sure that I like the more recent collective of musicians and the lack of Kjartan. I've seen them in 'classic' mode, with Amiina, in augmented mode with occasional brass (would I ever get bored of the coda to Olsen Olsen...?!) and in full-on rawk mode as a four piece with no adornment. I preferred all of those to the Kveikur tour set up. I'd still see them in a public lav if they were playing and I could get there, mind!

I would be in seventh heaven were they to be announced for Worthy Farm next year.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Foxy1984 said:

I am liking the fact citadel are advertising them as "london exclusives".... that glasto shaped hole in their schedule is surely nailed on!

i really hope so, but what with the current slew of heavy rumours for Other Stage headliners (LCD Soundsystem, Bring Me The Horizon and New Order all looking mighty likely) Sigur Ros look like the least likely outcome. i guess the fact that nothing has been announced yet is promising, and if nothing comes out soon then it definitely puts them in the frame, but i'm guessing they'll be headlining another smaller festival elsewhere

On 01/01/2016 at 7:29 PM, FloorFiller said:

i really hope so, but what with the current slew of heavy rumours for Other Stage headliners (LCD Soundsystem, Bring Me The Horizon and New Order all looking mighty likely) Sigur Ros look like the least likely outcome. i guess the fact that nothing has been announced yet is promising, and if nothing comes out soon then it definitely puts them in the frame, but i'm guessing they'll be headlining another smaller festival elsewhere

Bring me the Horizon headlining Other Stage? That can't be right surely?

Edited by Vanderlyle

12 minutes ago, Vanderlyle said:

Bring me the Horizon headlining Other Stage? That can't be right surely?

I think it's ridiculous but they had an interview a few months back and hinted that they were playing. General consensus on here is that they would only play if they get a big slot (headlining Other).

40 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

I think it's ridiculous but they had an interview a few months back and hinted that they were playing. General consensus on here is that they would only play if they get a big slot (headlining Other).

I'm not a big fan, I would watch them out of curiosity more than anything, but I definitely don't think it's too ridiculous to suggest, they've subbed R&L and they'll likely headline DL next time they are there, so if they are going to play GF, as its looking likely, they probably shouldn't be playing any lower

5 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I'm not a big fan, I would watch them out of curiosity more than anything, but I definitely don't think it's too ridiculous to suggest, they've subbed R&L and they'll likely headline DL next time they are there, so if they are going to play GF, as its looking likely, they probably shouldn't be playing any lower

Oh don't get me wrong, I completely understand the reasons why people are suggesting that's the slot they'll play but I can't help but see it as an odd booking.

I'm not convinced your average Glastonbury goer is familiar with their music and having them on up against any of the 3 hugely popular headliners (assuming we end up with Adele, Coldplay and Muse) may result in a small crowd for them

52 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I completely understand the reasons why people are suggesting that's the slot they'll play but I can't help but see it as an odd booking.

I'm not convinced your average Glastonbury goer is familiar with their music and having them on up against any of the 3 hugely popular headliners (assuming we end up with Adele, Coldplay and Muse) may result in a small crowd for them

Yep it's definitely an odd booking, especially when you see names like Sigur Ros playing near the festival, I don't see them pulling an impressive crowd anyway

Bring Me The Horizon would be significantly bigger than any sub that stage has ever seen before. the only reason they'd be given anything less than headliner (of Other) would be because they're not your usual Glastonbury act. not impossible, but considering the setup they had at Reading/Leeds - the pyro, lights, screens etc (which i assume they'd want to use at Glastonbury as well) - it'd be stupid to not have them headline. i think people would be surprised at the crowd they'd pull. they're not some niche, screamy act anymore - they're a pretty standard metal act, and arguably one of the only big ones that makes sense to be booked after Metallica

I agree they wouldn't get a particularly big crowd but as FloorFiller says it's not like they're a ridiculously heavy band, all the singles from their latest album have been playlisted on Radio 1. I'm not really a fan but I think it's a good booking for both the festival and British rock music in general. It shows Metallica wasn't a one-off and that Glastonbury are still open to booking heavier bands in big slots.

10 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I know they're no longer much of a niche band, but I just don't see many metal bands at all getting very large crowds at Glastonbury. 

I do agree it'd be a great booking and I actually hope it happens, despite the fact I wouldn't be there. 

they're probably the best act at the moment to test the waters - Metallica pulled a crowd purely because they were a headliner/people were intrigued. be interesting to see if a big metal band can pull a crowd at Glastonbury on their own merit/not out of pure curiosity, especially up against an act like Adele/Coldplay. i also wouldn't be there but yeah, it'd be a nice change from the incredibly boring trio of Other headliners we had last year

Edited by FloorFiller

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

I come in this thread to read about the delightful sigur ros, only to see a page of text about some turds called bring me the horizon, who on googling appear to be utter fucking shit of the first order.

If this is 2016, you can keep it!

Your first sentence, Russy - up to the first comma - is an extreme metaphor of why I expectantly and hopefully read this thread.