Sigur Ros

admscott

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Mash011 said:

I like it when bands I'd been meaning to check out get thrown into the Glasto rumour pot... happened a couple months ago with Wilco and now I've been listening to a lot of these guys. Really nice. Hope they play.

makes it all the more heartbreaking when they don't end up playing though :P happened to me far too many times

Start with Takk..., I'd say. Then go to Agaetis Byrjun. Once you're hooked, take on the indescribable beauty that is ( ).

After that, there's still much to enjoy, but let's not rush you. Come back when you're happy that you'll never again stop looking for new music that you never knew existed and you can have more SR recs!

:)

Ben

6 hours ago, gingerevans84 said:

Never gave them a proper listen, but that youtube clip on the previous page is excellent. What album do I start with?!

check this out and imagine it closing their set on the other/pyramid stage!

https://youtu.be/gZVw6rHw5jQ 

god fuck what how do you post youtube clips now??

Edited by russycarps

1 hour ago, mungo57 said:

my personal favourite one is probably Kveikur, but I agree, start off with Takk and then the one I can't spell..... aegetis bryun or whatever.

I promise I'm not being an arse, mungo, and of course it's different strokes etc., but I can't imagine anyone having Kveikur as their favourite Sigur Ros record. To me it is so far and away the least SR of all the albums! 

Here's an analogy that might amuse/infuriate - I used to love Genesis, in my youth. Their demise, IMO, coincided with Phil (GREAT drummer, btw...!!!) having an ever increasing influence on the songwriting. With Kjarri gone, I am anxious that Jonsi (whose first solo record is very good...) is now playing the Phil Collins role, in terms of his influence on the sound of the band...

However, they're still incredible and relevant, so bring them to GF2016.

Ben

18 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I promise I'm not being an arse, mungo, and of course it's different strokes etc., but I can't imagine anyone having Kveikur as their favourite Sigur Ros record. To me it is so far and away the least SR of all the albums! 

Here's an analogy that might amuse/infuriate - I used to love Genesis, in my youth. Their demise, IMO, coincided with Phil (GREAT drummer, btw...!!!) having an ever increasing influence on the songwriting. With Kjarri gone, I am anxious that Jonsi (whose first solo record is very good...) is now playing the Phil Collins role, in terms of his influence on the sound of the band...

Ben

I got into Sigur Ros rather after everyone else seems to have and the first time I heard them was when I heard Brennistein. I listened to Kveikur and loved it - baring in mind that by this point they had become a 3 piece and I wasn't even aware they HAD other albums - I then found out they did and sadly didnt connect to them as much. I do like all the albums, don't get me wrong (and of course I recognised Hoppipolla I just had only ever heard the instrumental bit and didn't even know it was them/had words) but I am weird that way, I like the darker side if you like of Kveikur more than anything.

But yeah, its all good, I just prefer Kveikur for some reason.

2 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I got into Sigur Ros rather after everyone else seems to have and the first time I heard them was when I heard Brennistein. I listened to Kveikur and loved it - baring in mind that by this point they had become a 3 piece and I wasn't even aware they HAD other albums - I then found out they did and sadly didnt connect to them as much. I do like all the albums, don't get me wrong (and of course I recognised Hoppipolla I just had only ever heard the instrumental bit and didn't even know it was them/had words) but I am weird that way, I like the darker side if you like of Kveikur more than anything.

But yeah, its all good, I just prefer Kveikur for some reason.

Brennistein is brill live I must say.

Has anyone got the live at the icelandic opera house album? the version of vidrar vel til loftarasa on it is wondrous

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

check this out and imagine it closing their set on the other/pyramid stage!

https://youtu.be/gZVw6rHw5jQ 

god fuck what how do you post youtube clips now??

Popplagio is awesome. The gradual crescendo from middle to end is longer than most One Direction albums.

I do find with Sigur Ros, that despite them being one of my favourite bands out there, I can still go through  a few months on the bounce where I really really don't want to listen to them.

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Be fair, Brennisteinn is an absolute beast of a track.

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

Brennistein is brill live I must say.

First time I heard it I immediately thought it would be amazing live.

my mate who went to one of the Brixton shows assures me that it is :unsure: not that I would know after having wussed out of Wembley...

Edited by mungo57
Fat fingers