Sigur Ros

admscott

One reason I think they're maybe more likely for West Holts or The Park is that their headliners tend to have longer sets than John Peel headliners. John Peel headliners seem to get 60-70 minutes which for Sigur Ros must be what, 8 or 9 songs? On one of West Holts or The Park they'd get 90 minutes which seems more suitable.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

“every time you go on tour you want it to be different…and every time it is, usually because you have a new album you want to play people.  and that can be fun, because you have to work out how to recreate all the complicated stuff you did in the studio for the stage.  but there was a time when things were the other way round, when we worked stuff out on the road, and trying to capture lightning in a bottle was a problem for the studio later on.  this time, in addition to playing songs you know, we wanted to remember the seat-of-your-pants feeling experienced in the wake of, ágætis byrjun, when for two years we formed and re-formed the songs that would go on to be the ( ) album, live in front of people, night after night.  with this in mind, we are pleased to announce that we are playing festivals next summer in the spirit of adventure. all we can say right now is it’s going to be different, with new unreleased songs, a new show and maybe some other *new* things. beyond that, we can only ask you to trust us on this one.” – sigur rós

A set full of new songs. Every festival goers dream

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dunno if the Saturday is *that* far out of the question.....it's only Dublin that they're travelling on to.

aye it's not impossible at all, but that Bristol date being on Thursday just seems all too convenient, as if they booked it with the knowledge that they'd only have to travel that tiny bit to their gig the following day

7 minutes ago, theDandy said:

Do we think they're going to play with a full orchestra at Glastonbury? Assuming they're going to headline a stage, what do we think is going to be a realistic setlist for them? 

aye as Gonzo posted, they seem to be previewing a bit of new material alongside playing some older stuff so i couldn't even hazard a guess at what they'll play. just as long as there's still a few oldies (and i get to see them) i'll be happy. hell, they can play all new stuff as long as i get to see them! not like i'll be singing along or anything (at least not with the intended lyrics - i'll no doubt make up a fair few of my own)

The first time I saw them they did 3 songs off Kveikur that weren't released and it didn't bother me so I wouldn't be fussed if they did something similar this time round. I suppose we'll be able to see the setlists before the festival anyway given they have tour dates before Glastonbury.

9 minutes ago, russycarps said:

A set full of new songs. Every festival goers dream

It may not be accurate, but I just want to get in the obvious "anybody who claims to be able to tell SR songs apart is a fookin liar" joke in before some Catfish fan comes over and swipes that bit of low-hanging fruit.

No LCD vs Sigur Ros clash! No no no NO!

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Sigur Ros have been an obvious Park Headliner for me for years.... unless they are too big. It's the "something to gawp at" West Holts post which suggests it's them to me.

i can't see past M83, Explosions In The Sky and Bat For Lashes being the three Park headliners at the moment, unless one of them takes another spot. guess M83 could sub Holts, and BFL could headline JP

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i can't see past M83, Explosions In The Sky and Bat For Lashes being the three Park headliners at the moment, unless one of them takes another spot. guess M83 could sub Holts, and BFL could headline JP

Im gutted that Sigur Ros will clash with either Carl Cox on Friday or New Order on saturday.....

Where else on earth can you say that?!?!

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Im gutted that Sigur Ros will clash with either Carl Cox on Friday or New Order on saturday.....

Where else on earth can you say that?!?!

Was looking at last years Clashfinder before and couldn't help but think Coxy fit the 11pm slot. Might help a few friday night issues.

Although that might be carnage.

10 minutes ago, dooke10 said:

Was looking at last years Clashfinder before and couldn't help but think Coxy fit the 11pm slot. Might help a few friday night issues.

Although that might be carnage.

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

sometimes Glastonbury's diverse fantastic lineups can be a real pain in the arse ey!

Yep. First world problems at their worst.

There is only me of our group who wants to see Sigur Ros. I think I'll be there if its Friday even though I have been banging on about carl cox in the electronica thread for 6 months! I can see him again and already have. I have never seen Sigur Ros and this is the chance.

12 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Lawn has answered. I reckon you'll like em russy. I listened to the wilderness and half of the earth is not a cold dead place.  If you like mogwai and Sigur Ros can't go wrong with these. 

They are the instrumentalists right? Someone recommended them on here a while ago but I wasn't in the right frame of mind at the time and gave up. I'll try the ones you suggested, ta!

Looking at the possible clashes on Friday night I think I'm going to give these a go.dont know much of their stuff,only a few bits ive checked out.would people advise getting the albums before Glastonbury or just go along and see what happens.is it even possible to learn the songs and sing along to them anyway.hopefully this will make sense to someone :D 

This will be the fifth time seeing The Ros - twice supporting Radiohead (the big tent tour in Newport) and South Park, once in London during Takk which is arguably one of my top 3 gigs of all time - they are really that special - and also down in Bristol

I'm hoping they have Aminia perform with them again.

40 minutes ago, Adystar said:

Looking at the possible clashes on Friday night I think I'm going to give these a go.dont know much of their stuff,only a few bits ive checked out.would people advise getting the albums before Glastonbury or just go along and see what happens.is it even possible to learn the songs and sing along to them anyway.hopefully this will make sense to someone :D 

Good luck with learning the songs, can you let us know how you get on:). I can't name one track and I own most of their albums. Indeed I can only name Takk as an album. Oh...and ():)

51 minutes ago, Adystar said:

I would definitely invest some time in becoming familiar with their stuff before seeing them, if you can. That's a biased opinion as I have always enjoyed gigs 100% more by knowing the bands' material, but with Sigur Rós the true majesty comes out after many, many listens, so it's worth the effort. They are very much not a band that most people 'get' straight off the bat.

You could do worse than check out their setlist on something like Setlist.fm since, much as I adore them, they do tend to stick to a smaller number of tracks from the albums before the one they're touring.

In terms of an entry drug, I usually recommend listening to Takk... first, as it's a good mix of older and newer SR, and bloody phenomenal to boot. For me, (   ) is their very finest single work, but it is maybe something to save until you're 'in'!

:)

Ben