Sigur Ros

admscott

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

what's that festival like? I've never heard of it. Full of hipsters from dalston?

Aye, but they spent their time at the roller disco/fashion boutiques…

Positives: 

·         Good food options

·         Wide variety of alcohol (pricey though)

·         Good sound at the main stage

·         DESPACIO (all day)

·         Only about 15/20 minutes of waiting between each band

·         Small walking distance between stages

Negatives:

·         It's on a Sunday (finished by 10:30pm though)

·         Lots of people lying down near the front of the main stage waiting for the bigger acts (show some respect for Jimi Goodwin folks)

Edited by TomViolence

6 hours ago, russycarps said:

lets hope so! Imagine if the festival had the spuds to book them as pyramid headliners! would be sensational.

Shame they are a 3man act these days though

With you on that, russy. Have seen them quite a few times, and it's not quite the same without Kjartan. His piano and keys are such an important part of what makes SR unique, especially on (  ), one of my favourite records ever.

Saying that, I'd be beyond pleased were they too get the nod for GF2016. But they defo need the dark. Too off piste for WH headliner?

Ben

They're doing one other gig aside from that Citadel thing and I'd guess it'd be their own show or another small festival.

If they did play I'd be there. They were amazing at Werchter 2013; I got to watch part of the set from sidestage on account of almost fainting in the crowd due to hardly having any money and trying to get by on as little food/drink as possible. Then went back into the crowd for Hoppipolla and it was sensational.

Seen them a bunch of times and they never disappoint. Love the difference between their recorded stuff and live performances - probably more difference there than with any other band I've seen. 

Went to both Brixton nights last tour - sober one night to remember it, hammered the next night to really get into it. Wonder which route I should follow at Glastonbury next year ;)

there are few acts I'd like to see more than SR. I think it's the thing of their music being more about a sonic direction than normal 'songs' - I reckon the closest I've seen is Godspeed and that was an experience I won't forget. I assume SR would be even better.

1 hour ago, Vanderlyle said:

Seen them a bunch of times and they never disappoint. Love the difference between their recorded stuff and live performances - probably more difference there than with any other band I've seen. 

Went to both Brixton nights last tour - sober one night to remember it, hammered the next night to really get into it. Wonder which route I should follow at Glastonbury next year ;)

I was there the night they played I gaer. Absolutely love that song. People always shit their pants when it kicks in :lol: 

trying to think why i missed Sigur Ros in 2003...were they up against Manic Street Preachers on the sunday?

russy - there's no way they even compare to Arcade Fire's popularity. both have cult followers, but AC's audience has branched beyond that in a way SR haven't. If Sigur Ros headline other it's more because of it being a rare Glasto appearance...West Holts would perhaps be better.

by the way, if Sigur Ros are getting an 'R' on here purely for those dates, surely Wilco should be on 'R' status too w/ their dates, especially as they've front sold their 2 UK dates for Nov 2016....but maybe you've just heard something else in addition to give them an 'R'?

21 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

russy - there's no way they even compare to Arcade Fire's popularity. both have cult followers, but AC's audience has branched beyond that in a way SR haven't. If Sigur Ros headline other it's more because of it being a rare Glasto appearance...West Holts would perhaps be better.

Sigur Ros are 100% big enough to headline Other and would not just be in that position because of the rareness of their appearance

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Sigur Ros are 100% big enough to headline Other and would not just be in that position because of the rareness of their appearance

Finally some sense in this thread!

Last time they toured they did 3 nights in a row at Brixton, Wembley arena, headlined a big outdoor gig up north and God knows where else in this country. Not to mention headlining festivals abroad, selling out Madison square garden...how many bands that have headlined the other could do all that?

Edited by russycarps

2 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

I've seen them at two festivals now, subbing Stevie Wonder at Bestival around sunset and headlining Best Kept Secret. The whole experience is so much better when it's dark so they would have to headline somewhere if they play. 

the fact that i was ketted up to the eyeballs during their Bestival set may have had something to do with it, but i thought they nailed it. was pretty disheartened to see the statement they released after it saying they weren't at all happy with their performance (due to not having the darkness they were promised). can definitely see how darknes would benefit them though, and Other headliner is unarguably the only position they could play at Glastonbury

seem to be a lot of Other headliner options this year. got my fingers tightly crossed that we don't get another trio of dance acts

30 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Finally some sense in this thread!

Last time they toured they did 3 nights in a row at Brixton, Wembley arena, headlined a big outdoor gig up north and God knows where else in this country. Not to mention headlining festivals abroad, selling out Madison square garden...how many bands that have headlined the other could do all that?

I think they could and should be booked to headline Other, but headlining abroad doesn't really count for anything here.

I'm more of a múm man myself. Anyone else like them?

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Just now, FloorFiller said:

the fact that i was ketted up to the eyeballs during their Bestival set may have had something to do with it, but i thought they nailed it. was pretty disheartened to see the statement they released after it saying they weren't at all happy with their performance (due to not having the darkness they were promised). can definitely see how darknes would benefit them though, and Other headliner is unarguably the only position they could play at Glastonbury

seem to be a lot of Other headliner options this year. got my fingers tightly crossed that we don't get another trio of dance acts

My head was far too clear that day so I remember it being good but not as good as I'd seen them previously. Opening with I Gaer was incredible though. 

I honestly believe they could headline the Other. I'd say Park but it's probably too small. If they could get speakers up on the hill and have them play Park with people chilling up there that would be amazing. West Holts is probably more likely but then I reckon they have a bigger following than people would think.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

They were in the area in 2013 and didn't show up, weren't they? I remember everyone thinking they'd play.

aye they ended up just doing End Of The Road. i remember they did an AMA and somebody asked about Glastonbury and we got the 'no' then. i personally don't think they'll be there next year so i'm not getting my hopes up (think they'll do that Wilderness festival as mentioned in the Acts touring thread)... but it would be the best

Edited by FloorFiller

2 hours ago, kaytee... said:

I've seen them at two festivals now, subbing Stevie Wonder at Bestival around sunset and headlining Best Kept Secret. The whole experience is so much better when it's dark so they would have to headline somewhere if they play. 

That Best Kept Secret show is amazing... I've seen it twice in full! Amazing! :)

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think they could and should be booked to headline Other, but headlining abroad doesn't really count for anything here.

I'm more of a múm man myself. Anyone else like them?

Predictably, S2H, yes, I am very fond of múm!

But they're unlikely ever to reach the heady heights of the SR at their very best. Sigur Ros at Hammersmith Apollo in 2006 remains in one of my top 5 gigs of all time. Breathtaking.

Ben