Sigur Ros

admscott

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Sounds pretty similar to arcade fire to me, apart from the fact arcade fire hasnt got an outro as widely used on adverts and cooking programmes and as hoppipolla.

Fixed for you.

Seriously though, Sigur Ros are a fine band, and Arcade Fire are bafflingly unknown by some people, but they are clearly on a different scale.  Even if you put to one side the fact that  Sigur Ros don't sing in English, which automatically puts them on the niche list, you can at least look at their sales rankings of the last three albums:

• Kveikur (2013) - No. 9
  • Valtari (2012) - No. 8 
  • Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (2008) - No. 5, Gold (career high position)

To be fair, Takk (2005) went Platinum in January 2015 after nearly 10 years on sale, so they're certainly not an unpopular band.

And Arcade Fire?

• Reflektor (2013) - No. 1, Gold
  • The Suburbs (2010) - No. 1 Platinum
  • Neon Bible (2007) - No. 2, Platinum

Obviously Funeral went platinum ages ago - in April 2008, about 4 years after it came out.  So it's pretty clear who's the biggest band.  I wish we could put to bed this stupid myth that since that really unknown, band Arcade Fire with their No.1 platinum selling albums can play the Pyramid, any old act that has played an arena is big enough. I accept that Arcade Fire don't have the biggest profile, but they are a big band.

Plus, I'd rather see Sigur Ros at Other.  Far easier to get mesmerised there than at the chair, chat and blanket stage.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Fixed for you.

Seriously though, Sigur Ros are a fine band, and Arcade Fire are bafflingly unknown by some people, but they are clearly on a different scale.  Even if you put to one side the fact that  Sigur Ros don't sing in English, which automatically puts them on the niche list, you can at least look at their sales rankings of the last three albums:

• Kveikur (2013) - No. 9
  • Valtari (2012) - No. 8 
  • Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (2008) - No. 5, Gold (career high position)

To be fair, Takk (2005) went Platinum in January 2015 after nearly 10 years on sale, so they're certainly not an unpopular band.

And Arcade Fire?

Obviously Funeral went platinum ages ago - in April 2008, about 4 years after it came out.  So it's pretty clear who's the biggest band.  I wish we could put to bed this stupid myth that since that really unknown, band Arcade Fire with their No.1 platinum selling albums can play the Pyramid, any old act that has played an arena is big enough. I accept that Arcade Fire don't have the biggest profile, but they are a big band.

Plus, I'd rather see Sigur Ros at Other.  Far easier to get mesmerised there than at the chair, chat and blanket stage.

Yeah,what he said. I don't even think they're big enough to headline the Other to be honest. In fact, when they played before in the early 2000s, I'm pretty sure they subbed Doves.

(I actually like Sigur Ros by the way - I just don't they're big enough to headline the Pyramid.)

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Fixed for you.

• Kveikur (2013) - No. 9
  • Valtari (2012) - No. 8 

And Arcade Fire?

No matter what the record sales are, arcade fire are relatively unknown to the general population, as the reaction to their glastonbury gig showed. Sigur ros are the same. Both are bands liked by people who show an interest in music that goes beyond whats on the radio. But glastonbury isnt a reflection of the general population.

I have just about enough faith in the glastonbury crowd to believe there are 50,000 people there with enough of an interest in music to have heard of and like sigur ros and who would watch them headline. 

Of course we'll never know who's right as the bookers have proven themselves to be complete cowards in recent times.

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Yeah,what he said. I don't even think they're big enough to headline the Other to be honest. In fact, when they played before in the early 2000s, I'm pretty sure they subbed Doves.

(I actually like Sigur Ros by the way - I just don't they're big enough to headline the Pyramid.)

I think what you've typed is exactly what the bookers think, and that's why they wont headline.

But if they did, I believe they'd get a crowd equal in size to arcade fire or metallica.

Sadly, we'll never know!

Just now, russycarps said:

No matter what the record sales are, arcade fire are relatively unknown to the general population, as the reaction to their glastonbury gig showed. Sigur ros are the same. Both are bands liked by people who show an interest in music that goes beyond whats on the radio. But glastonbury isnt a reflection of the general population.

I have just about enough faith in the glastonbury crowd to believe there are 50,000 people there with enough of an interest in music to have heard of and like sigur ros and who would watch them headline. 

Of course we'll never know who's right as the bookers have proven themselves to be complete cowards in recent times.

Yeah, we'll never know.  I think your respect for the crowd is admirable, but misplaced.  Let's face it, Sigur Ros sing in foreign.  It's essentially an instrumental band to a UK audience.  They never will headline the Pyramid.  Other though, let's have it.  I can see that happening.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

I went to the Arcade Fire. Where's this idea that they got a small crowd come from?!

Agreed. It didn't seem like a small crowd from where I was!

As for Sigur Ros, yeah I'd be up for that. Have always been fond of them, even if a little unfamiliar. A headliner for the Other would be pretty special methinks. It definitely needs to be dark, so a mid-afternoon slot wouldn't work in my opinion.

Well, having seen them twice I would like to offer the advice that a Sigur Ros gig is the only occasion when I would actually recommend deliberately taking ketamine (doing it accidentally halfway during the Rolling Stones' only ever appearance on the Pyramid is, however, not recommended).

Edited by Homer

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Sounds pretty similar to arcade fire to me, apart from the fact arcade fire hasnt got a song as widely recognised as hoppipolla.

Wake Up comes pretty close - and a crucial difference is that of the people who do recognise it, far more will actually be able to associate the song to the specific band, rather than go "Oh, that's the song from that advert".

30 minutes ago, Homer said:

I went to the Arcade Fire. Where's this idea that they got a small crowd come from?!

I was right at the back/top of the field on one of the benches, which is my favoured viewing point for "bands that I'd like to see but probably wouldn't buy a ticket for". From that vantage point, it didn't seem too empty - maybe a shade busier than Metallica the following night.

I guess that people are measuring it against some of the massive crowds that the stage has seen - Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder, the last couple legends slots, etc and by those standards it was definitely quiet but then so are most things.