Sigur Ros

admscott

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, russycarps said:

lets hope so! Imagine if the festival had the spuds to book them as pyramid headliners! would be sensational.

Shame they are a 3man act these days though

I'd be there. As would a lot of the group I go with. I reckon they'd hold on to a decent sized crowd too.

30 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep, as big a crowd as metallica and arcade fire I would expect.

If you thought the lack of awareness of Arcade Fire was bad, the blank looks you'd get from the average person if you mentioned Sigur Ros would take it to a whole new level.

Saw them at Werchter in '08. Friends of mine loathed them - I was mesmerised.  Not sure of their broader appeal these days as they are definitely niche, and will fly under the radar of most casuals, yet to discerning music fans, they are almost universally loved. A headline on the other might seem a stretch on paper, yet I think they would draw a decent crowd and certainly put on a  great performance.

47 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Particularly not after releasing two records in succession that pretty much stiffed.

Valtari wasn't the best but their last one was fantastic - a real return to form I thought. Got their best reviews in a while as well. Hopefully these tour dates mean a new album is on the way.

I'm not gonna get my hopes up for Glastonbury cause there are so many other more likely options for them (headlining smaller festivals) but god it'd be great wouldn't it?

EDIT: just read the statement go to along with the tour. No new album in time for the live shows then, but exciting none the less

Edited by FloorFiller

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

No, it would be smaller as they're not as popular so not as many people would want to see them.

I disagree. They are popular across the world. They sold out madison square gardens in NYC, have played arenas in the UK, headlined festivals here and abroad. Sold out large outdoor gigs. Sounds pretty similar to arcade fire to me, apart from the fact arcade fire hasnt got a song as widely recognised as hoppipolla.

And while metallica are more popular in outside of glastonbury, within glastonbury I'd say sigur ros are more popular. Metallica comfortably had the smallest headliner crowd there's ever been so it's not like the bar has been set high.

Plus they wouldnt get anything like the crowd bleed metallica suffered from, considering they arent a loud of shouty old shit.

Edited by russycarps

Cant see them playing the Pyramid at all. Other Stage, or maybe even West Holts headliner maybe

They peaked in terms of public profile when Takk was out and Hoppipolla was being played everywhere.

I saw them when they headlined Latitude in 2008 and they were immense. Then saw them when they subbed Bestival in 2012 ans they wernet that great, not helped by Jonsi having a paddy about the whole thing, not least because it wasn't dark so the visuals didn't really work, and the sound was pants

Very chalk and cheese I think, even amongst a Glasto crowd. My mate walked away during Bestival because he was so bored, and he loves music. Just doesn't get the fascination about them, I love them

Just now, russycarps said:

I cannot imagine a worse time and place for them!

I sort of agree, just thinking in terms of the crowd they would attract. Certainly not big enough to headline either of the big stages. IMO. That said, I reckon on a sunny day they could do just fine, I watched War On Drugs on Pyramid and they're of a similar vibe perhaps.