new forums

Hi, I've used the mobile app, but even though I ticked the 'remember me' I've had to log in twice when coming back to opening the app again. I've also reinstalled the app and it happens again, (confusingly, when clicking on the Android app link, it shows the install option, when the app's already installed). Is this me, or another post-upgrade change that's being shorted out shortly? Cheers

Also, the page on my mobile, when opening Glastonbury chat for example, can't be made smaller by swiping the screen, yet can be made larger. I'm on Android.

On the plus side, I had a notification that you'd quoted me, which I'd never seen before, nice to have that bit.

I'm not sure what the app issue is; in theory it should still all work properly, tho there might be some caching issues I guess.

I have an updated app that will be uploaded as soon as I have a minute, so when that's available and installed I hope it'll stop any problems for you.

The page view won't go smaller than your screen - which is how it's meant to work.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what the app issue is; in theory it should still all work properly, tho there might be some caching issues I guess.

I have an updated app that will be uploaded as soon as I have a minute, so when that's available and installed I hope it'll stop any problems for you.

The page view won't go smaller than your screen - which is how it's meant to work.

Cheers.

Hello there.

liking the new look - even a techno moron like me has managed to work most of it out. Could you tell me if there is a "mark all as read" button like there used to be at all please?

there is, tho it depends what layout you're getting for where you'll find it.

If you have the mobile/tablet layout they'll be a forums menu button at the top-right of the page, and you'll find it in the 'more' section of that menu.

For the wider desktop layout, it's between the header and the forums, to the right - "mark all as read'.

Hello there.

liking the new look - even a techno moron like me has managed to work most of it out. Could you tell me if there is a "mark all as read" button like there used to be at all please?

per forum 'mark as read' button is next to teal "start new thread" above main thread listings on wide browsers, or at the bottom of the main thread listings under the teal "start new thread" if that's the one you mean

Edited by frostypaw

having to use my screen name to login not my username threw me, but back on again. Took a couple of refreshes to get the main efestivals page looking right but think it works properly now too.

the dual login name/display name format has been abandoned with this upgrade (not my choice, it's the forums software), and now all users login with their displayname.

Looks good, even if the circular avatar pics do remind me of tripadvisor :)

Posting is pretty horrible though, no way to preview a post, can't switch to BBcode, and that odd arrow/line thing when quoting someone.

Edited by mrtourette

Looks good, even if the circular avatar pics do remind me of tripadvisor :)

Posting is pretty horrible though, no way to preview a post, can't switch to BBcode, and that odd arrow/line thing when quoting someone.

I can't do anything about the quoting, I don't think, but you should be able to use BBcode in your post even when using the rich editor ... this should be bold.

True, but you used to be able to switch between BBcode and HTML, which was handy if you wanted to remove the formatting of something you'd quoted or copypasted in.

Also noticed that if you quote someone and then decide not to proceed (no cancel button so just click on another forum ink), the next time you go to post in the same thread it keeps the quote in the post box, like it remembers what you've entered until you hit the post button. It can be deleted but it's not smooth (you have to use that 'insert paragraph' line/arrow thingy to start a new paragraph above the original quote box and then delete).

Still these are just minor things that will probably take some time getting used to :)

Edited by mrtourette

Return gives you a space for a new paragraph and shift+return just give you the line underneath. A bit like on MS Office.

The thing about the format of what you're pasting can usually be got around by clicking 'Paste as plain text' or Ctrl+Shift+V rather than just Ctrl+V. So both of your problems just need the use of the shift key. The quoting thing is a bit of a mess but I just persevere with that. :P

Edited by dentalplan

I've never used shift+return so that doesn't explain why the space to one paragraph would have a double-space and the next only single (unless I was accidentally pressing shift the first time) that couldn't be corrected. Anyway I seem to have been able to correct it upon editing so not sure what the problem was (probably a defective brain issue).

True, but you used to be able to switch between BBcode and HTML, which was handy if you wanted to remove the formatting of something you'd quoted or copypasted in.

Also noticed that if you quote someone and then decide not to proceed (no cancel button so just click on another forum ink), the next time you go to post in the same thread it keeps the quote in the post box, like it remembers what you've entered until you hit the post button. It can be deleted but it's not smooth (you have to use that 'insert paragraph' line/arrow thingy to start a new paragraph above the original quote box and then delete).

Still these are just minor things that will probably take some time getting used to :)

what device are you using, and I'll see if I can add the source button for you.

This bums me out a little too, i'm a regular [ quote ] hacker.

But the editor is fairly amenable to you pissing around and fixes many things on posting. I've been able to cut bits from a quote and requote below using bbcode, and their formatting you can manipulate fine with the tools in the edit box.

The choice of different line-returns is fantastic - now if I could only do different quotation marks and em-dashes I'd be very happy.

Oh and where's the m'fuking degree key on any keyboard eh?

Just to let you know I still have adverts on pages outside of the forum - it seems there are less but they are still there for a gold member.

are you sure you're logged in on that part of the site? Look just below the header to the right of the page, and it will say.

Things work a little differently now, and unfortunately I think it doesn't log you back in when you visit the main part of the site unless you visit the forums first.

are you sure you're logged in on that part of the site? Look just below the header to the right of the page, and it will say.

Things work a little differently now, and unfortunately I think it doesn't log you back in when you visit the main part of the site unless you visit the forums first.

Good call - now I have been in forums and back out again no adverts :-)

Cheers Neil