LCD Soundsystem....

mini-macc

8 hours ago, TomViolence said:

They would be so lost on so many people though :(. Tame have more hits, right? 

not really, no, Tame Impala don't have anything that could be considered a hit in the UK. the only single to even tickle the charts is Elephant. nothing else charted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tame_Impala_discography#Singles

if anything LCD do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCD_Soundsystem_discography

it's about the good-time vibes anyway. get people up and dancing.Extended version of Beat Connection please. DO NOT play NY I Love You... for 9 minutes, thanks.

Edited by ghostdancer1

45 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

not really, no, Tame Impala don't have anything that could be considered a hit in the UK. the only single to even tickle the charts is Elephant. nothing else charted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tame_Impala_discography#Singles

if anything LCD do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCD_Soundsystem_discography

it's about the good-time vibes anyway. get people up and dancing.Extended version of Beat Connection please. DO NOT play NY I Love You... for 9 minutes, thanks.

The Less I Know The Better is comfortably bigger in the UK than anything LCD have done I'd say. Certainly in my experience anyway.

Edited by ConorC

10 hours ago, Simpo said:

Al Doyle will surely return to do his Thursday all-night DJ set at the Crows Nest, with special guests. If so: be there!

I sorely hope to get lucky in April and be there with you.

I didn’t know this was a thing. Will keep an eye out for him returning in 2019, cheers.

i saw New Build at Williams Green in 2013 with a tiny crowd. They never did much after that I don’t think.

4 hours ago, ConorC said:

The Less I Know The Better is comfortably bigger in the UK than anything LCD have done I'd say. Certainly in my experience anyway. 

the chart positions don't really reflect that though, LCD have had multiple singles that have at least charted.

both acts had only 1 single each to "chart" in the last 10 years...

The Less I Know The Better doesn't seem to have even got into the top 200, at least Elephant hit the lofty heights of 131.

either way it's not really about hits, as singles chart positions don't really mean anything to "alternative" acts anymore, I'm sure LCD would pull several thousand to see them, just as they did on the Other, and Tame Impala did for their sub.

95% of people waiting around in the Pyramid filed won't have a clue who either of them are really, and are just waiting for Adele/whoever, so an upbeat, fun, party set will make for a good atmosphere. people like to dance. give me some of this on the Pyramid please:

Edited by ghostdancer1

12 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

the chart positions don't really reflect that though, LCD have had multiple singles that have at least charted.

both acts had only 1 single each to "chart" in the last 10 years...

The Less I Know The Better doesn't seem to have even got into the top 200, at least Elephant hit the lofty heights of 131.

either way it's not really about hits, as singles chart positions don't really mean anything to "alternative" acts anymore, I'm sure LCD would pull several thousand to see them, just as they did on the Other, and Tame Impala did for their sub.

95% of people waiting around in the Pyramid filed won't have a clue who either of them are really, and are just waiting for Adele/whoever, so an upbeat, fun, party set will make for a good atmosphere. people like to dance. give me some of this on the Pyramid please:

I'm not at all against them subbing, it would be great. I just think Tame Impala have the more well-known material of the 2.

Most of the indie crowd seem to be familiar with a lot of their stuff.  A lot of their songs (especially The Less I Know The Better) have been meme'd all over social media for a while now too.

I think the majority of people would struggle to name an LCD tune if pressed.

Edited by ConorC

14 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

i'm not sure what the "indie crowd" is, but I'd imagine if they can name a Tame Impala song off the top of their head, they at least know Daft Punk Is Playing At My House, if not a few other LCD songs.

99% of people on the street wouldn't be able to name a song by either of them.

Maybe my sample size is too personal. The group I went to Leeds fest (I know) with this year were mostly indie lovers and they wouldn't be able to name you much of anything by LCD. Tame Impala they could reel off 3-4 song titles without much fuss.

They're just referenced more in popular culture, whether it be other songs or on social media everywhere. Mainstream acts like Travis Scott have recently collaborated with them, Alex Turner and Dua Lipa have both spoke about wanting to do material with them (Turner I think said he wanted AM to do a full album with them).

I just feel like LCD are a bit more niche in their market. Maybe in the 30-40 age bracket they might be closer in popularity.

Edited by ConorC

Only got to know LCD a bit better last year (I'm in the slightly younger demographic) and I first thought: of course I know them! Then to discover I could only name two songs (can't compare them to Tame Impala because I know them pretty well). But indeed, you don't have to know their music beforehand to enjoy them live and appreciate LCD as a live act. My only fear is that they'll be deaf by 2020.

31 minutes ago, Bradders said:

The problem with LCD on the Pyramid is that they’d only get an hour. Very possible set list:

Us V Them

I Can Change

Someone Great

Yeah

Dance Yrself Clean

All my Friends

I''d swap I Can Change or Someone Great for Call the Cops or something else off American Dream, couldn't see them not bringing any "new" tunes to the farm having just played in 2016.

Yeah I'm possibly focusing too much on my inner circle too. 

At Mad Cool, a couple of my mates who weren't too familiar with Tame Impala recognised Elephant, New Person (1 of them thought it was a Rihanna cover though :lol:), Let It Happen and Feels Like... 

The same friends at APE only recognised 1 or 2 songs from LCD's set. 

Anyways, I'm not against them subbing but would much rather another headline slot. 

Imagine them making us watch the best live act in the world surrounded by fans of Fleetwood Mac or Florence and the Machine or some other shit, when they could let them throw the party of the year headlining a stage. I'd obviously go, and I'd have a great time, but it'd be a waste.

All My Friends is indisputably one of the classic songs of this century, or last 20 years, or whatever classification you want to use.  Dunno if anyone can say the same about The Elephant Song.

But then they just tend not to drum up the big crowds at the festivals.  Their legacy will more likely be closer to that of a Lou Reed than of a Bowie.

obviously a headline set somewhere (WH for me preferably) would be the dream, but if it's to be a Pyramid sub, based on current setlists and at 75mins-ish/11 songs:

Get Innocuous

Tribulations

Call The Police

Yeah

Daft Punk....

Oh Baby

Someone Great

Tonite

I Used To

Home/I Want Your Love

All My Friends

4 new tracks not played last time.

James can do a DJ set somewhere too. and bring Despacio back.

Yep. They need a break despite cancelling their Australian dates. I was at the last show of their tour and James was very emotional. Apparently between the band and the crew 3 babies were born during the tour; there were divorces and marriages. Whilst I suspect this normal with a large band after a huge tour, they seemed utterly exhausted.  

I wouldn't expect to see them until at least 2020. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back after a long day/night at the footy, bit spangled, put their 2016 set on the telly. Fuck, I don't know if I'll ever be at a set that electric again, watching back you can see it was a small crowd but holy fuck was everyone going for it. 2016 was a slog from start to finish but if anything made me fall in love with Glastonbury it was that set

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Just got back after a long day/night at the footy, bit spangled, put their 2016 set on the telly. Fuck, I don't know if I'll ever be at a set that electric again, watching back you can see it was a small crowd but holy fuck was everyone going for it. 2016 was a slog from start to finish but if anything made me fall in love with Glastonbury it was that set

where did you get footage of this??? would love to watch it again.  I agree it was amazing, didn't realise it was only a small crowd at the time were i stood was rammed and i wasn't even near the front but definitely one of the most up for it crowds and best festival set I've seen ...seeing them in WHP last year was up there also btw and think i must of seen them at least 8 times now.