LCD Soundsystem....

mini-macc

I loved 2016. Apart from getting a bit excited and overdoing it on Thursday night, being put to bed and waking up with the worst hangover of all time on Friday. Then the Brexit result sent me into weeping existential dread for a few hours but... Christine and the Queens brought me back to life. Heaton and Abbott. Sigur Ros. ELO. John Grant. New Order. Fisherman's Friends. And the absolute TRIUMPH that was LCD.

Yeah, it was muddy, the build up was full of doomsday talk and misguided (non attending) folks being smug about the 'inevitable' quagmire but it seemed to me that almost made everyone a bit nicer- saw loads helping each other. Dunkirk spirit and all that!

3 minutes ago, ilovelanegan said:

I loved 2016. Apart from getting a bit excited and overdoing it on Thursday night, being put to bed and waking up with the worst hangover of all time on Friday. Then the Brexit result sent me into weeping existential dread for a few hours but... Christine and the Queens brought me back to life. Heaton and Abbott. Sigur Ros. ELO. John Grant. New Order. Fisherman's Friends. And the absolute TRIUMPH that was LCD.

Yeah, it was muddy, the build up was full of doomsday talk and misguided (non attending) folks being smug about the 'inevitable' quagmire but it seemed to me that almost made everyone a bit nicer- saw loads helping each other. Dunkirk spirit and all that!

That's just reminded me of Friday night, queuing to get some food just outside the Park area. This really short bloke completely stuck in the mud, entirely unable to lift his feet up, constantly falling over into the mud every time he tried to move. People tried helping him but to no avail. At one point when he fell over his feet actually came out of his wellies but he decided to put them back in again and resume his attempts to get them free from the swamp below him.

This went on for absolutely ages and I was in tears laughing at him. We were both absolutely out of our minds, too, otherwise I probably wouldn't have found it as funny and might have tried to help him out instead, but I don't think I was capable at the time.

Doesn't sound as funny when written out, but it's probably the most entertaining thing I've seen at Glastonbury.

Late Saturday night 4 of us were looking to carry on the party after a few post-headliner beers at the Park, decided against the madness of the naughty corner (we love it, but my cousin, whilst having a LOVELY time, was only functioning at about 50% consciousness and we know how busy it gets) so decided to give Arcadia a go. Oh. My. God. The mud was beyond epic. People flailing everywhere. The queue for the bar was just 2 ropes containing a literal mudbath. Everyone went down at some point, and was immediately helped back up by friendly hands. Between the effort of walking, the punishingly loud sound system and the constant hilarity we were weak with laughter- it was so not the night we expected but all the more brilliant for that. Yeah, 2016 was good. 

5 minutes ago, ilovelanegan said:

Late Saturday night 4 of us were looking to carry on the party after a few post-headliner beers at the Park, decided against the madness of the naughty corner (we love it, but my cousin, whilst having a LOVELY time, was only functioning at about 50% consciousness and we know how busy it gets) so decided to give Arcadia a go. Oh. My. God. The mud was beyond epic. People flailing everywhere. The queue for the bar was just 2 ropes containing a literal mudbath. Everyone went down at some point, and was immediately helped back up by friendly hands. Between the effort of walking, the punishingly loud sound system and the constant hilarity we were weak with laughter- it was so not the night we expected but all the more brilliant for that. Yeah, 2016 was good. 

I was probably watching all that happen tbh. I got so fucked on the Saturday afternoon that I passed out in my chair at my tent (in the Arcadia field) instead of going to see James Blake and sat there in and out of consciousness for a few hours, before somehow mustering up the will to head to the South East corner with my mates. Of course I was an absolute mess and lost them on the way there, and have no memory of the night other than waking up in a random tent with two like 25-30 year old women looking down at me and putting on my shoes and leaving.

I still have no idea where on earth that tent was; I was still completely fucked at this point but it took me like an hour to make my way back to a part of the festival that I recognised. I felt like I was walking around in some other world until I finally caught sight of the WH stage.

• 2 weeks later...

With everything going on surrounding The Cure I've been giving them some serious listening time for the first time since American Dream came out. I picked up there was more than a little bit of Sad Bob & The Lads' influence on the album initially, but now I'm just seeing it everywhere, I reckon James sat and listened to The Cure for 5 years after breaking up the band.

On 10/28/2018 at 5:08 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I could have done another day in 2016, no problem. 

Totally agree, I can’t understand the comments about leaving early.  The problem was the rain weeks before the festival. Yes I lost a welly in the mud so ended up barefoot trying to get up the hill to strummerville. We actually found a patch of grass next to bellas bridge that we could lie down on. And you got a free Coldplay led wristband.  What more did folk want.?  Loved 2016.