LCD Soundsystem....

mini-macc

12 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

It's clearly not the leagues above their previous stuff like they made it out to be, I think that's where my slight disappointment lies. Still a fantastic record though. 

Same here. It's a bit of a slow burner, but once How Do You Sleep? kicks in then that's when the LCD magic starts for me.

On 30/08/2017 at 4:51 PM, dentalplan said:

Idk it probably depends what the ticket is and how they got it or something. I know LCD are partnered with Twickets to combat touting but I dunno if that means people get their passes checked and any names that don't match have to be accompanied by verification from Twickets, or it just means they're encouraging use of Twickets/

Are names on twickets gonna be transferable then presumably? Otherwise I'm not seeing the point of buying/selling on twickets if the lead booker still needs to be there.

I think it's tremendous. Better than This is Happening on first listen, not quite Sound of Silver good though.

It's a really well constructed record. Flows very nicely and has great variety. Favourite record of the year so far, and I'm sure it'll grow on me even more. The National might top it though...

After one listen, a lot of it is very listenable but didn't properly grab me. Which is a good sign as that's how I found all their old stuff too, there's so much depth to the music, you can't fully appreciate it straight away. 

How Do You Sleep and the three singles are absolutely sensational. Emotional Haircut is new levels of Joy Division inspired, that's the only other song I can remember much about so far. I'll try to rank it alongside their other stuff after a few more listens, but that would involve having to choose which is better out of the self titled and This Is Happening, which is pretty difficult. So maybe I won't. 

In fact I'm hearing The Cure all over this record now, from the drums on "emotional haircut", to the vocals on "tonite", to the guitar on "i used to".

In fact, the influence is so pervasive that I'm going to have to listen to their entire back catalogue to see if it was always there in everything, like Bowie is.

To be fair, LCD do the extended jam thing far better than The Cure ever did, which I hated even when I was a long haired, Cure shirt wearing teenger.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
added "even"

It's a goddamn masterpiece! The whole experience of unwrapping a brand new LCD Soundsystem record, sticking it on the turn table, sitting there listening to it for the first time and reading along with the lyric sheet was pretty fucking special. My heart rate actually started going a bit mad when I turned onto the street with the record shop on yesterday, kept on going as I walked in through the door, saw a brand new LCD record sat right there on display by the door, took it up to the counter and bought it; had to get into the chippy to bung myself full of carbs to settle down. I'm so glad it measures up, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. Will post detailed thoughts after a few listens.

• Upvote 2