LCD Soundsystem....

mini-macc

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Arena in Leeds is much better than the academy. Opposite for Manchester but that's only really cause MEN is fairly shite too. Academies are arse and don't get enough stick.

Leeds' arena is the king of all arenas, still a large corporate venue, but it's the best that can be. MEN and Manchester Academies are equally as soulless, but the arena is generally more consistently OK for sound, whereas the academies are complete rolls of the dice. MEN's in the station as well.

24 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'd like to confirm that the Glasgow O2 Academy is also fucking rubbish.

I don't mind the Academy, decent sound. Prefer it to ABC (and the overrated King Tuts) in fact, Though it's no Barrowlands.

17 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Leeds' arena is the king of all arenas, still a large corporate venue, but it's the best that can be. MEN and Manchester Academies are equally as soulless, but the arena is generally more consistently OK for sound, whereas the academies are complete rolls of the dice. MEN's in the station as well.

Club academy (the one you have to go downstairs to) is good. Lancashire hotpots are always on in there.

Rock City in Nottingham is good. The cockpit in Leeds was one of the north's best, before it got shut down.

6 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I don't mind the Academy, decent sound. Prefer it to ABC (and the overrated King Tuts) in fact, Though it's no Barrowlands.

I hate the Academy, shite set up. Toilets stuck right up the back are a pain, the bars aren't in particularly helpful areas. Sound is good but the whole experience when it's a sell out isn't great. I think the ABC is fine.

1. Barrowlands

2. ABC

3. Hydro

4. Academy

5. SECC

...as far as the big venues go.

Unfair to count King Tuts in there as it's only a little 'un.

21 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Rock City in Nottingham is good. The cockpit in Leeds was one of the north's best, before it got shut down.

+1 for Rock City, probably my favourite academy sized venue other than the institute in Birmingham.

Edited by zero000

11 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I hate the Academy, shite set up. Toilets stuck right up the back are a pain, the bars aren't in particularly helpful areas. Sound is good but the whole experience when it's a sell out isn't great. I think the ABC is fine.

1. Barrowlands

2. ABC

3. Hydro

4. Academy

5. SECC

Exactly how I'd list them can't stand the academy 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Club academy (the one you have to go downstairs to) is good. Lancashire hotpots are always on in there.

Ha. I had no idea the Lancashire Hotpots were a thing people knew about. I've only seen them before about 7 years ago,I went on a night out in Blackburn with my mate who is from there, it was like a fucking zoo on an alien planet after nuclear war. Started off watching the Lancashire Hotpots in a pub, continued in other weird pubs, populated by weird old people who looked too finished to even be alive, let alone out on the piss.

1) Roundhouse
2) Brixton Acadamy
3) Shepards bush empire
4) Electric Ballroom
5) Hammersmith Apollo
6) Royal Festival Hall
7) Koko 
8) Ally Paly
9) Wembley arena
0) the 02 

The sound in koko can be crap, the place just annoys me for some reason. Never been to the Troxy so not sure.. Never seen a gig at the Royal Albert Hall either.

43 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

1. Barrowlands

2. ABC

3. Hydro

4. Academy

5. SECC

If I had one shot with a demolition ball of tear that bastard academy to fucking shreds. It's the worst venue I've ever been in in my life. Many a wasted gig because of that rancid piss hole 

Barrowlands is so far infront of everything else in Glasgow there's no point in having gigs anywhere else. Though credit where it's due, The Hydro is such an improvement from Hall 4, though hanging from the Finnieston Crane by the bollocks would be an improvement from Hall 4. 

As for my absolutely favourite venue in Glasgow, and indeed the world;

Subclub will forever wear that crown 

2 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

1. Barrowlands

2. ABC

3. Hydro

4. Academy

5. SECC

Exactly my thoughts too, Hall 3 in the SECC isn't as bad but Hall 4 is poor, glad no one plays there anymore. I've always really liked the ABC, decent sound and you get a great view from pretty much anywhere in there. 

I also agree King Tuts is overrated, don't mind it but I've never really got the hype. I much prefer Oran Mor as far as the smaller venues go. 

I guess part of King Tut's "hype" is that - Barras aside - it predates just about everywhere else, so was the venue for lots of seminal gigs, if only by default. 

6 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I hate the Academy, shite set up. Toilets stuck right up the back are a pain

True enough, but then the Barras toilets are also miles away.

7 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Ha. I had no idea the Lancashire Hotpots were a thing people knew about. I've only seen them before about 7 years ago,I went on a night out in Blackburn with my mate who is from there, it was like a fucking zoo on an alien planet after nuclear war. Started off watching the Lancashire Hotpots in a pub, continued in other weird pubs, populated by weird old people who looked too finished to even be alive, let alone out on the piss.

The hotpots do well touring. Sell out around the north west. Only small venues in odd towns - but Oldham, Bury, St Helens, Wigan, Salford all sell out. Their 3 Christmas shows Liverpool, Preston and Manchester sell out every year.

Ive seen them about 12 times. (Inc in the croissant neuf in 2011) The christmas show is a tradition of ours. The only the we see a certain couple of mates, so we go there instead of to the pub or a different night out.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

7 hours ago, krisskross said:

1) Roundhouse
2) Brixton Acadamy
3) Shepards bush empire
4) Electric Ballroom
5) Hammersmith Apollo
6) Royal Festival Hall
7) Koko 
8) Ally Paly
9) Wembley arena
0) the 02 

The sound in koko can be crap, the place just annoys me for some reason. Never been to the Troxy so not sure.. Never seen a gig at the Royal Albert Hall either.

I am not a huge fan of Brixton (it's ok) but the toilets, queue for drinks and acoustics can be a proper arse. Definitely prefer the forum in Camden to it.

As for the O2 I actually quite like the standing section, the acoustics are the best of any London venue except the roundhouse and the queues for drinks are small, plus you can get back to your spot very easily  The National, Arcade Fire and Arctics have all been really bloody good nights out there I must admit. 

Forgot about the Royal Albert Hall, cracking venue, shame they only host gigs every now and again, and that the ticket price comes at a premium. 

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Bristol Academy is awful, the layout makes it legitimately dangerous on a frequent basis.

Totally agree, Bristol Academy is easily my least favourite venue of all time (including arenas). Sight lines are truly awful, and the sound is garbage too. If you were asked to design a bad venue, that is it.

I also find the bars at Brixton Academy beyond awful as well, but at least you can buy 2 pint cups in there. Still doesn't take away from the 20/30 minute queues.

Coulston Hall down in Bristol and the Town Hall in Oxford are probably my favourites. Not sure if they do many gigs in the Ox Town Hall though, I only a Stornoway 'homecoming' show in there. Lovely old venue though, as you can probably imagine.

Edited by big__phil

Yeah Bristol Academy is quite rubbish. I doubt bad enough to ruin any great acts but it certainly won't do them any favours. Some fantastic smaller venues in Bristol though - if there's a decent band playing in Thekla or The Fleece I'm there in a heartbeat.