Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2016

Gnomicide

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the worst thing I saw all weekend. And I saw a lot of things.

i can only imagine her success is the result of a Trading Places style wager between some bored record company execs.  i can't see how else somebody moaning in an unfortunate antipodean monotone to a middling indie backing track can become so popular.

$1

Years & Years have announced a UK tour for March/April, including a date at Wembley Arena

I'm overly familiar or a fan of their music, but they could be back for a bigger slot

And the NIA in Birmingham and BIC Bournemouth. They are going to get a decent slot. That would sit them as probable Other Stage subs. I think they would be better for that than Pyramid 3rd. Was hoping to catch them in a smaller venue before this.

Roskilde announcement: Action Bronson, Cattle Decapitation, Colin Stetson & Sarah Neufeld, Courtney Barnett, Ho99o9, Kuedo, Mac DeMarco, Qwanqwa, Sleaford Mods, Sturgill Simpson.

Had a little listen to Qwanqwa and they're definitely the sort of thing that'd be good at Glastonbury, and dare I say the best Ethiopian experimental rock band I've ever heard. Opening West Holts or just playing a small stage as they only have one YouTube video with over 100 views so they're pretty tiny. I fully expect CG to have one of their releases on vinyl nonetheless.

Edited by dentalplan

I'm all about the Ethiopian jams (ask Mrs CG, who agreed to spend her honeymoon in Ethiopia and got dragged out at all sorts of hours to jazz clubs in Addis Ababa and tej dives to listen to Azmari music), but only vaguely aware of Qwanqwa. Will check 'em out, but needless to say any sort of Ethiopian music at Glasto is a good thing.

Been jonesing for them to book Mahmoud Ahmed for years now.

Awaiting official confirmation but it looks as though the Vida Festival in Barcelona is set to announce Wilco. It's the weekend after Glastonbury and The Divine Comedy are playing it too.

Probably about time I gave this band a proper listen really. Heard a lot of good things.

EDIT: Listened to 'I Am Trying to Break Your Heart' and liked it enough to go right away and download their complete discography. Thanks for the motivation dental.

Edited by Mash011

Roskilde announcement: Action Bronson, Cattle Decapitation, Colin Stetson & Sarah Neufeld, Courtney Barnett, Ho99o9, Kuedo, Mac DeMarco, Qwanqwa, Sleaford Mods, Sturgill Simpson.

Colin Stetson & Sarah Neufeld would be very nice for me, I really like the joint album they put out earlier this year. Hopefully Sarah's taste of headlining the Pyramid last year has given her a fondness for the festival. I hold out the same hope for Owen Pallett, as he claims to have a new album ready for next year.

The Twilight Sad should have just finished their US dates with The Cure at Glastonbury time next year, perfect timing to make their Worthy Farm debut.

Dinosaur Jr are doing some 30th anniversary shows in December, I'd really love them to come back.

not a chance - i think even Other sub could be a push for them. Glastonbury isn't their target audience at all (although i've been wishing for them to play for the past few years)

Does Glastonbury have a "target audience"? If so, what do you think it might be? With the variety of musical genres available I'd find it difficult to select one group of people that it specifically caters for. Glastonbury's USP has always been it's diverse cross section of genres.

This year I had the pleasure of seeing Faith No More headline Soundwave Festival in Australia, sub for Slipknot at Download and play their own show at the Roundhouse, and they were as good as they've ever been. Patton's one of the most charismatic front men around too. If they played, surely it'd be as Other Stage headliners (I'm thinking akin to QOTSA in 2011) or as someone suggested above, subbing for the Pyramid headline act? 

not a chance - i think even Other sub could be a push for them. Glastonbury isn't their target audience at all (although i've been wishing for them to play for the past few years)

Does Glastonbury have a "target audience"? If so, what do you think it might be? With the variety of musical genres available I'd find it difficult to select one group of people that it specifically caters for. Glastonbury's USP has always been it's diverse cross section of genres.

This year I had the pleasure of seeing Faith No More headline Soundwave Festival in Australia, sub for Slipknot at Download and play their own show at the Roundhouse, and they were as good as they've ever been. Patton's one of the most charismatic front men around too. If they played, surely it'd be as Other Stage headliners (I'm thinking akin to QOTSA in 2011) or as someone suggested above, subbing for the Pyramid headline act? 

metal/hard rock are genres not widely represented at Glastonbury (there being specific festivals that only cater for those genres probably has a lot to do with that) so bands like Faith No More wouldn't have quite the same pull at Glastonbury that they would elsewhere, so headlining Other/subbing Pyramid is definitely out of the question. IF they were booked, then Other sub (akin to Pixies/Smashing Pumpkins) would probably be where they'd end up. i'd be all over it - watching live videos of them and Patton hasn't lost an ounce of what he used to have. a truly brilliant performer (along with the rest of the band)

I don't think I ever got round to listening to that Mac DeMarco EP (Another One?). Any good?

I gave it a listen and think its bloody good to be fair. Got some of his best songs on it in my opinion. 

Would love to see him play at Glastonbury, he was great at Primavera. 

Also, if Coldplay are headlining then his band do a cover of 'yellow'

I gave it a listen and think its bloody good to be fair. Got some of his best songs on it in my opinion. 

Would love to see him play at Glastonbury, he was great at Primavera. 

Also, if Coldplay are headlining then his band do a cover of 'yellow'

Good to hear, I'll definitely give it a listen!

Yeah he was brilliant! And I remember the weather was particularly perfect for that set. 

On that last point, I remember FloorFiller telling a story on here about him singing along during that cover for a full minute (arms in the air and everything) before realising it was Coldplay :lol:

I'm guessing you got a Glastonbury ticket in the sale?