Glastonbury with a toddler

MrsRookin

19 hours ago, tomfestival_11 said:

I have been twice before 2008 and 2010. I am taking my two boys this year aged 3 and 6. I have so many worries, 

how to secure the tent so they cant get out at night (might be a bit of an irrational worry).

Where is best to camp? they like to wake up at 5 everyday.  

Clean Toilets?

Will they enjoy it?

I think i am over worrying and it will be a great time for all.

Sleep between them and the tent door so they would have to climb over you.  If push comes to shove, a safety pin in the zip - though that may stop you getting out if you need to.

Family camping areas are good.  Have a wristband on the kids with your mobile telephone numbers.

Make a note of what time the toilet cleaning crews do their rounds and go shortly after while they're sparkling.

They will love it if you put them first and fit your needs around theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

Signed up to Efestivals this morning just to say thank you to everyone who has given such sound advice on this subject.

Having done many festivals before in my younger years I have only ever been to Glastonbury once in 2011. 10 years later my wife & I are hoping to be lucky enough to go next year with our 2.5 year old son.

Just regarding the family camping areas, what size tents do most people tend to have? Ideally we would like to take a "larger" tent but don't want to take the mick if there's limited room.

Thank you in advance for your help. Any other suggestions/considerations are much appreciated.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:53 AM, D4ve said:

Signed up to Efestivals this morning just to say thank you to everyone who has given such sound advice on this subject.

Having done many festivals before in my younger years I have only ever been to Glastonbury once in 2011. 10 years later my wife & I are hoping to be lucky enough to go next year with our 2.5 year old son.

Just regarding the family camping areas, what size tents do most people tend to have? Ideally we would like to take a "larger" tent but don't want to take the mick if there's limited room.

Thank you in advance for your help. Any other suggestions/considerations are much appreciated.

Can only speak directly for Wicket Ground where there were quite a lot of large tents e.g. six man with separate living area.

By the time we got there on Thursday lunchtime there were a few big gaps left for such large tents and plenty of gaps for smaller ones.

I know space in Cockmill is at much more of a premium due to proximity to the Kidzfield and it gets full a lot quicker, on Wednesday. 

It's first come first served so if you go for Cockmill it depends how early you plan to get there and how guilty you would feel about taking extra space when you know that some families will miss out on camping there.

Another vote for what 3 words. Really handy. 

Also leave an emergency set of dry clothes blankets etc in the car. Worst case scenario at least they will still be dry! 

It's a long slog between car and campsite so take the minimum you can get away with. Mostly stuff to keep children happy. One issue is that if there is only the two of you (plus children) then for the next trip you're probably on your own as one person will stay behind with the children. Food planning seemed important when we took the children - you'll be able to manage for a couple of hours waiting for breakfast and a cuppa but they won't so make sure you get suitable immediately accessible snacks. Other times you'll be able to get great food for all but the smallest/fussiest all over the site. Not sure you need many toys as theres lots of distraction on site. Just a few things for bedtime etc. 

Good luck, it's different with kids but still great!