New Order

Zoo Music Girl

7 minutes ago, Tyonks said:

Hows Jerry, Elaine?

That's the avatar from one sitcom talking to an avatar from a different sitcom. I'm very confused. But proper chuckling at the thought of Elaine doing her dancing to New Order

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Mardy said:

That's the avatar from one sitcom talking to an avatar from a different sitcom. I'm very confused. But proper chuckling at the thought of Elaine doing her dancing to New Order

If it's as good as Bernard Sumner's then she will be onto a winner.

53 minutes ago, EIaine said:

It's one of my favourites! 

That setlist from Berlin is class. Lots on there for a girl who has never seen them live before to get excited about.

I don't think the set list will be quite as extensive as the Berlin one. One or two of the new ones may get dropped, lonesome tonight and Sirens call may be on dodgy ground.

Surely they have to play Regret?

39 minutes ago, Tyonks said:

Hows Jerry, Elaine?

Ehhhhhh. I think I've had it with these three losers.

Jerry had a really nice girlfriend for a while, but he dumped her because she moves her lips when she reads.

Meanwhile George tripped on the subway, accidentally groped someone and a video of it went viral.

Kramer has traded his car for a golf cart.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, EIaine said:

Ehhhhhh. I think I've had it with these three losers.

Jerry had a really nice girlfriend for a while, but he dumped her because she moves her lips when she reads.

Meanwhile George tripped on the subway, accidentally groped someone and a video of it went viral.

Kramer has traded his car for a golf cart.

Brilliant!

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Can someone who knows about these things post a representative video of how they are live with the current lineup?

Crowd are a bit lame and La Roux pops up for a few songs but I reckon they sound decent

Edited by rubenz

5 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

I like New Order recorded but I always think the vocals sound awful live. I haven't seen them for a good few years but that recent 6music session sounds vocally pretty ropey to me.

Agreed. Barney weak as piss live. 

New Order pose such a dilemma for me. I love them on record, particularly the classics from earlier work, but whenever I see a live performance on TV I'm less than impressed! I have never seen them myself though, so have never experienced the likes of Blue Monday in the flesh. I feel like this is something not to be missed. I just hope they sound better than I've seen recently...

1 hour ago, rubenz said:

Crowd are a bit lame and La Roux pops up for a few songs but I reckon they sound decent

Cheers for that. Just listened to a couple, but it's actually the drumming that lets then down for me - not a very tight band are they?

New Order, such a 'nearly' band for me. I like the idea of them doing a storming set, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

Definitely in reserve. If there's nothing else on I really want to see, I might give them another go, but probably not.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

15 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Cheers for that. Just listened to a couple, but it's actually the drumming that lets then down for me - not a very tight band are they?

New Order, such a 'nearly' band for me. I like the idea of them doing a storming set, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

Definitely in reserve. If there's nothing else on I really want to see, I might give them another go, but probably not.

Agreed, it's one of those ones where you are willing them to play a stormer but not sure how it would come across. Maybe in a headline slot with some beefy sound and visuals.Are they actually confirmed for Other stage yet anyway?

11 minutes ago, rubenz said:

Agreed, it's one of those ones where you are willing them to play a stormer but not sure how it would come across. Maybe in a headline slot with some beefy sound and visuals.Are they actually confirmed for Other stage yet anyway?

It's such a shame, because you can imagine how those songs could come across really well live, but the band just don't seen up to it.

Listen to the True Faith, the first song. The instrumental bit at the end is so disappointing. It's not just the drums (at times it sounds like a DJ badly mixing records), but the keyboard break and some of Barney's guitar playing, just really bad timing.

A band like Hot Chip would never have existed without New Order, but they mix programmed and live instrumentation so, so much better - especially on stage.

After you've listened to True Faith, listen to Hot Chip doing Dancing In The Dark last year at West Holts:

New Order have the songs that could groove almost as well as that. Just play them properly, you don't even need to change the the arrangements.

I just don't think they can do it, sadly.

Am I wrong? Do they get into the groove later on in there performance?

I think you've nailed it there. For a group that his been playing together for almost 40 years they still sound like a group fo 6th formers playing their second gig at a local battle of the bands. They just never seem bothered about it. It's incredibly frustrating, because they had the potential to be a phenomenal live act, instead of a bit half-assed

58 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

m I wrong? Do they get into the groove later on in there performance?

From personal experience I'd saying watching videos of New Order live performances they do come across fairly badly and the instrumentals and also Barney's vocals don't sound great. But being at the concerts neither are an issue and the band sound fantastic. It's a strange one but I don't consider them a band live band at all, but a lot of their instrumentals seem poor when you watch them back despite good when you hear them live. 

Edited by DGrant261

I think they're a band where the immense amount of goodwill from the crowd can override any technical/musical deficiencies. It's like going to see the Pogues, you don't do it for musical perfection.