New Order

Zoo Music Girl

48 minutes ago, eastynh said:

You mean before he absolutely ruined Blue Monday?

That Hac Classical version  is abysmal.

I went to see Stephen Morris and Mike Joyce talking about their drumming on their bands respective records the other night. They had a kit set up and demonstrated. Was an enjoyable evening. Got videos of Joyce doing Queen Is Dead and Morris doing LWTUA. Will up them later.

Did Morris apologize for not being a sufficiently tight drummer for his band's style of music?

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Did Morris apologize for not being a sufficiently tight drummer for his band's style of music?

Strange as You're the only person who I have heard suggest anything like this.

The consensus from the evening is that he is absolutely perfect for the bands he plays in and would maybe not fit in with another band. When he did LWTUA, Mike Joyce and Mark Radcliffe were recording it. 

Then there is this tweet by Donald Johnson who is widely regarded as one of the greatest drummers and probably the best Mancunian drummer 

https://twitter.com/Dojo007/status/911093553207549952

Now I am no expert on drums. In regards to New Order, a lot of the drums are programned by Morris on the records rather than played live. Yet you are the only person I have ever heard with anything negative to say regarding his drumming. He is universally lauded by everyone else.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/09/2017 at 6:18 PM, eastynh said:

I am just glad it is all over and the best part to New Orders statement was the fact they are looking forward to making new music.

Hooky has been very conspicuous by his absence. After New Order released the statement he was apparently unavailable for comment. Considering he did not shut up about the case for years, it makes me wonder whether he got the result he wanted.

In regards to the books. Bernards is ridiculously dull where as all Hookys are really funny and exciting in a way. The problem with them though is that they could be about as true as 24 Hour Party People. Also the lack of respect he shows Gillian in the New Order book is disgusting.

Hooky needs to make new music instead of milking the legacy of his 2 former bands for all its worth.

Have now read the book:

"Gillian was a good choice as she wouldn't try and impose her ideas."

"Gillian was shit because she never contributed any ideas."

Good read though.

56 minutes ago, Homer said:

Have now read the book:

"Gillian was a good choice as she wouldn't try and impose her ideas."

"Gillian was shit because she never contributed any ideas."

Good read though.

He contradicts himself something rotten. 

I asked him on twitter recently why does he play the Substances in chronological order. Considering he thinks he is a dj, should he not think more about how he paces and sets out the night? There is no way on earth some of them NO tunes should be played at the start of his set (remember there is no warm up act). They don't get the receprtion they deserve and then it goes a bit flat when he starts playing JD b sides. I mentioned that the gig at Manchest Apollo took ages to warm up and then died away in the middle before picking up at the end. He totally disagreed with me and said it was bouncing from start to end. Yet the lemon totally contradicted himself in the blog he writes as he wrote that, it was a little flat and took a while to get going. 

The books are a real fun read. The technical parts he adds in the NO book are an absolute delight and really interesting. Yet I think you have to take what he says with a pinch of salt. There is a part in the NO book where he talks about how he got into djing which I know not to be true. Whether he has genuinely forgot about how his djing career came about I can not say. Yet I know for a fact what he says in the book is not true. Because of that I am a little hesitant to take everything else in the book as being gospel. For the most part though it is a real fascinating and interesting read (apart from the Gillian parts which I found utterly disgusting).

I can't make my mind up with Hooky. On one hand you think fair play to him as he seems a normal stand up fella who replies to everyone on Twitter and I bet would be good fun on a night out. Then there is the other side of him, where he cones across as a bit of a money grabber and full of shit. I suppose we have to take the rough with the smooth.

Edited by eastynh
  • Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
18 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I've won tickets for some New Order event in Manchester on the 19th. Just wondering if anyone has some more details on what it is, cos I can't seem to find anything about it, and I didn't pay much attention when I entered for tickets. Looking at you, @eastynh!

Screenshot_20180908-014941_Yahoo Mail.jpg

It's that sky arts documentary/live show thing called decades I think?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Odessa said:

I've won tickets for some New Order event in Manchester on the 19th. Just wondering if anyone has some more details on what it is, cos I can't seem to find anything about it, and I didn't pay much attention when I entered for tickets. Looking at you, @eastynh!

Screenshot_20180908-014941_Yahoo Mail.jpg

4 hours ago, James96 said:

Yes that's the one mate. First screening was at Festival no 6 yesterday. It is predominantly about the MIF gigs but press release says it delves into their past. Be interesting to see how it addresses the Hooky issue as he is always going to be the elephant in the room where out like this is concerned.

Will be a good night. Home is a fantastic venue, plus Gillian and Stephen are always really good value.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, James96 said:

Cheers mate.

6 hours ago, eastynh said:

Yes that's the one mate. First screening was at Festival no 6 yesterday. It is predominantly about the MIF gigs but press release says it delves into their past. Be interesting to see how it addresses the Hooky issue as he is always going to be the elephant in the room where out like this is concerned.

Will be a good night. Home is a fantastic venue, plus Gillian and Stephen are always really good value.

I'll go along then if I can avoid being in work that night, it sounds interesting enough. "Please arrive for drinks at 6:30" hopefully implies they're complimentary as well. Are you going to it?

On 9/8/2018 at 1:34 PM, Odessa said:

Cheers mate.

I'll go along then if I can avoid being in work that night, it sounds interesting enough. "Please arrive for drinks at 6:30" hopefully implies they're complimentary as well. Are you going to it?

No mate,  I did not know when it was being shown. City play Lyon the same night.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:30 PM, Uncle Liam said:

Tweets were deleted because lots of it was debunked/challenged by Elliot Eastwick apparently 

Shame this has been deleted as I would have been interested in reading it.

I've read Hooky's Hacienda and JD books, and Barney's book, and Hooky's books are more entertaining in that they are effectively a collection of amusing or interesting anecdotes recounting incidents which Hooky probably either doesn't remember, or wasn't even present at.  Barney seems a lot more sincere - mentioning that "a certain Mr Hacienda" was hardly ever even at the club - and I am inclined to believe him when he puts the blame with Hook.

Following the fall out and his departure from the band, Hooky kept moaning about money. What happened was, I think, that New Order (Bernard and The Other 2) formed a new company and licensed the IP to it. The new company paid 5% of revenue to the old company as an IP royalty, and Hooky got a quarter of that.

I did some back of a fag packet calculations and I think Hooky was maybe getting a bit of a raw deal on how that IP royalty was being calculated.  I have no idea of New Order's revenues, but I got the impression that for every £1m New Order was getting paid, Hooky was maybe losing out on 5 to 10 grand.  So maybe that's what the settlement corrected.

You could argue that the ongoing tours and albums by Barney and co were/are making significant contributions to the continuing value of the IP. Of course Hooky is touring too.  (Though I would say that I felt his shows have erred too much on the side of karaoke for my tastes - I wouldn't rush to see him again.)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Odessa said:

That new documentary is well worth a watch on Sky Arts next week if you're a New Order fan. It was advertised as Stephen and Gillian being there tonight, but the full band were there after the screening. Cool as fuck. The 5 beers and a bottle of prosecco on the house was nice too. 

20180919_203828.jpg

Cool, I’ll look out for that, must have been a good night.

14 hours ago, Odessa said:

That new documentary is well worth a watch on Sky Arts next week if you're a New Order fan. It was advertised as Stephen and Gillian being there tonight, but the full band were there after the screening. Cool as fuck. The 5 beers and a bottle of prosecco on the house was nice too. 

20180919_203828.jpg

Did they say anything interesting?

I am at a talk with Hooky and Mani when this is being shown on Saturday.

8 hours ago, eastynh said:

Did they say anything interesting?

I am at a talk with Hooky and Mani when this is being shown on Saturday.

The Q&A was pretty straightforward tbh, they didn't say anything earth shattering like but it was cool. Stephen Morris is a funny guy. One fella in the audience made me cringe asking them why they don't do a big gig at Heaton Park like the Stone Roses did. 

Peter Hook didn't come up really. There's one bit in the documentary where Sumner is saying how good the new bassist is, and he clarifies he isn't implying that the old bass wasn't great, but that's as far as it went all night.

I wasn't expecting Sub-Culture to be part of the gig being documented. One of the best songs of all time for me, not one they usually play right? I know they didn't do it at Glasto.

25 minutes ago, Odessa said:

The Q&A was pretty straightforward tbh, they didn't say anything earth shattering like but it was cool. Stephen Morris is a funny guy. One fella in the audience made me cringe asking them why they don't do a big gig at Heaton Park like the Stone Roses did. 

Peter Hook didn't come up really. There's one bit in the documentary where Sumner is saying how good the new bassist is, and he clarifies he isn't implying that the old bass wasn't great, but that's as far as it went all night.

I wasn't expecting Sub-Culture to be part of the gig being documented. One of the best songs of all time for me, not one they usually play right? I know they didn't do it at Glasto.

Yes they did Subculture at MIF, they have also started playing it in their 'proper sets. The highlights for me though were All Day Long, Dream Attack and Vanishing Point. 3 of my fave tunes that I had never heard live before. Plus I got tosee the MIF thing in Turin as well, that was fantastic. Does it show Turin or is it just Granada Studios?

As good as Tom Chapman maybe, he's not Hooky. When people look back on New Order and Joy Division, no one will care how competent Tom was, Peter Hook was the bass player for those bands. I have criticised him quite a lot in this thread but it is sad seeing someone else play his basslines. 

As for Heaton Park, they would not fill it even if they announced it as their last ever gig. Would love to see them at Jodrell Bank again. That was truly special.

Edited by eastynh

21 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Yes they did Subculture at MIF, they have also started playing it in their 'proper sets. The highlights for me though were All Day Long, Dream Attack and Vanishing Point. 3 of my fave tunes that I had never heard live before. Plus I got tosee the MIF thing in Turin as well, that was fantastic. Does it show Turin or is it just Granada Studios?

As good as Tom Chapman maybe, he's not Hooky. When people look back on New Order and Joy Division, no one will care how competent Tom was, Peter Hook was the bass player for those bands. I have criticised him quite a lot in this thread but it is sad seeing someone else play his basslines. 

As for Heaton Park, they would not fill it even if they announced it as their last ever gig. Would love to see them at Jodrell Bank again. That was truly special.

The documentary is actually mainly focused on when they played in Vienna in May. Turin is mentioned but all the gig footage is from Vienna. I wish I'd gone to one of the MIF ones now but never mind. Sounds like a dream gig for someone like yrself who's probably seen them countless times, to get some deep cuts like those you've mentioned. 

And yeah it would be good if they managed to get the proper line-up back but what can you do. It's like seeing Pixies these days with no Kim Deal. Not quite the same but still better than the majority of other bands you're gonna see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan_C said:

Did they not discuss recording any new music, or future plans for a UK tour?

Read an interview with Stephen recently and he said no current plans for new music. Been told they are doing festivals though next year.

Would love to see some new Electronic music. Hooky needs to do some stuff as well, he can't keep flogging the back catalogue.

10 hours ago, Odessa said:

The documentary is actually mainly focused on when they played in Vienna in May. Turin is mentioned but all the gig footage is from Vienna. I wish I'd gone to one of the MIF ones now but never mind. Sounds like a dream gig for someone like yrself who's probably seen them countless times, to get some deep cuts like those you've mentioned. 

And yeah it would be good if they managed to get the proper line-up back but what can you do. It's like seeing Pixies these days with no Kim Deal. Not quite the same but still better than the majority of other bands you're gonna see.

I was going to go to Vienna rather than Turin but you had to go through a ballot for tickets. While I was waiting to see if I had got one, flight prices for Turin were rocketing. Had to bite the bullet and go Turin. 

New Order are mad. Their total reluctance to play anything from Technique is astounding as it is arguably their best album. Glad they are now playing tunes from it. Looking forward to hear Hooky play it in full as it is a quality album.

34 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I was going to go to Vienna rather than Turin but you had to go through a ballot for tickets. While I was waiting to see if I had got one, flight prices for Turin were rocketing. Had to bite the bullet and go Turin. 

New Order are mad. Their total reluctance to play anything from Technique is astounding as it is arguably their best album. Glad they are now playing tunes from it. Looking forward to hear Hooky play it in full as it is a quality album.

I still need to familiarise myself properly with Technique and a few others. First two albums are good, Low-Life and Brotherhood are sensational, and then Music Complete is pretty good too. Everything in between I haven't given time to yet, which is bad on my part, but I don't like World In Motion and one or two others in that time so it hasn't dragged me in.

8 hours ago, eastynh said:

Read an interview with Stephen recently and he said no current plans for new music. Been told they are doing festivals though next year.

Would love to see some new Electronic music. Hooky needs to do some stuff as well, he can't keep flogging the back catalogue.

Aye I read that interview. Thought someone might have dug something out of them at the Q&A. Loved the MIF gigs and would happily go to something like that again, one of the gigs they're doing at the minute, a Technique anniversary gig, or whatever else. Surely they will do a few in England next year. 

Looking foward to the documentary tomorrow anyway. The Glasgow 2006 gig is on afterwards as well, always enjoy watching that.