New Order

Zoo Music Girl

LCD Soundsystem are a bigger, better and more exciting act than New Order, especially if they were to reunite and come to play Glastonbury

(In my opinion)

We are all entitled to out opinion mate and I would have to disagree with yours on this point. 

I don't get where you get more exciting from for LCD soundsystem. I appreciate they are a bit of a cult band for a certain age group, but they sound to me like a pale imitation of the some of the great 80's electronic bands. Compared to the likes of Depeche Mode and New Order, they are no where near as original or influential. As for bigger, LCD soundsystem maybe bigger in New York but they are certainly not bigger in the UK as record sales, tours and festival appearances would suggest.

A lot is being made of the fact LCD should get a high billing because it is a reformation. They played 5 years ago and made a big hoo hah about the fact they were giving it up. They would look a right bunch of plonkers if they came back especially with no new material.

New Order last played Glastonbury 10 years ago and have a brand spanking new album out which has just charted far higher than any LCD album has in the UK. The difference between the two is that New order did not quit and then come back. Peter Hook may have quit and caused a stir but New Order just dusted themselves down and carried on. New Order don't have to make a big deal of quitting and starting again to build hype, they have a legacy. 

New Order have the legacy and the tunes, LCD have neither in comparison to New Order.

Listened to them on 6 yesterday, Barney's voice is as flat as they come.

I've given the album a shot and I like parts, I certainly don't see it as being up there with their best mind.

To be fair though, thats like saying Ian Wright is not as good as Thierry Henry.

Lcd soundsystem, if they reform, will be the bigger draw, for all number of reasons. Say they tour, they'll definitely be playing bigger venues than Brixton Academy. They've got more pulling power, currently, than New Order.

Lcd soundsystem, if they reform, will be the bigger draw, for all number of reasons. Say they tour, they'll definitely be playing bigger venues than Brixton Academy. They've got more pulling power, currently, than New Order.

I have no idea how big Brixton Academy is mate so could not comment.

I can't really comment on how much pulling power LCD have as I can only go off their record sales, chart positions and previous tours and they pale in significance really compared to New Order in the UK. When they quit, were no where near as big as New Order. They have done nothing in that time either. 

I have given LCD a fair crack of the whip after all the hype on here but I honestly just don't get all the fuss. They have no where near as many good songs as New Order. 

I think this pulling power is a strange thing as well. If you take James for example, they play bigger venues than New Order (and  LCD would do as well), but they do not sell as many records. James have also pulled the we are quitting and reforming card which New Order have never done.

If you put New Order up against James at a festival then I am pretty confident New Order would pull a bigger crowd than James even though on their tours they play bigger venues.

Edited by eastynh

Aye, but LCD Soundsystem's stature has grown in their absence, whereas New Order have never really gone away, so rightly or wrongly there's little curiosity value to them.

They could maybe open the Other Stage.

It would be a sad world where New Order opened the other stage while LCD headlined it. 

Last time I saw LCD live, in 2010 in Dublin, was one of the best gigs I've ever had the pleasure to attend. Saw New Order in '12 and they were their usual 6 or 7/10.

Last time I saw LCD live, in 2010 in Dublin, was one of the best gigs I've ever had the pleasure to attend. Saw New Order in '12 and they were their usual 6 or 7/10.

Exactly. It's pretty hard to get excited about New Order these days, stick them on at Glastonbury and they'll be alright, nothing more. Unlikely to be a life changing experience for anybody in 2016.

Maybe LCD spundsystem are better live than "on record" as I find them pretty bland.

I keep hearing great things about them live though.

I think it's fair to say that their appearance on the Other Stage in 2010 was no classic.

Sunset slot, golden hour, but the magic wasn't there. Pow Pow is just a fucking dirge.

That said, All My Friends is an evergreen and shining monument in 21st century popular song, so that bit was nothing short of cracking.

I think it's fair to say that their appearance on the Other Stage in 2010 was no classic.

Sunset slot, golden hour, but the magic wasn't there. Pow Pow is just a fucking dirge.

That said, All My Friends is an evergreen and shining monument in 21st century popular song, so that bit was nothing short of cracking.

I was at the Pyramid that day. I hear enough good things to make me want to check them out, but I would rather see New Order.