New Order

Zoo Music Girl

I have seen New Order countless times over the years. They were in the past very hit or miss from a live perspective and that seemed to purely revolve around what mood Bernard was in. The last few times I have seen them though (without Hooky), they have been fantastic with the Jodrel Bank gig being the most enjoyable concert I have been to.

People go on about how important Hooky was, I just don't understand that. Bernard is the main man. Hooky wanted them to be a rock band, it was Bernard who pushed their electronic direction and that is what make them stand out.

Without Bernard it is not New Order and I am hopeful that when the new album is released, it will finally put an End to the shadow of Hooky which has hung over the band for a few years now.

In regards to Glasto, they need to headline a stage. It would be pointless putting them on somewhere for an hour. They will have a new album to play plus all the NO and JD classics. Could also see the likes of Iggy and Brandon Flowers maybe joining them on stage.

As someone who's seen them a lot, what stage do you reckon they'd headline? I'm genuinely stumped. Could see them in several.

As someone who's seen them a lot, what stage do you reckon they'd headline? I'm genuinely stumped. Could see them in several.

You know, I am as stumped as you really. Music wise, their is no doubt that they have the arsenal to pull off a great other stage headline set. Compare them to the 3 that headlined the other stage this year, then New Order clearly stand above all 3 music and legacy wise. The problem is, do they have the appeal any more to headline such a big stage. You look at the venues they are playing around Europe on their upcoming tour and they are the same as the ones Hurts have just announced.

On the face of it, you shake your head while trying to work out how Hurts have the same appeal as New Order (I am a big Hurts fan as well). Then you look at how Courteeners can play god knows how Many nights at the Apollo where as NO are playing 2 at the Warehouse Project. 

Everyone who has wanted to see New Order over the last 30 something years has pretty much already done it.

So to answer your question I really don't know. They would go down a storm on West Holts. The problem there is that they are still far bigger than bands like Hot Chip and I expect the new NO album to outsell the Hot Chip one with ease.

They could sub the Pyramid under someone like Foo's, but that would be an absolute waste imo.

So I am probably leaning towards headlining other, just off their legacy and the hope the new album is as good as people suggest. It would in all probability but the last ever Glastonbury headline show they do, with a good new album behind them and put up against a more poppy headliner on the Pyramid (Ed Sheeran??) then it would be a fantastic night (fingers crossed).

I am just glad they are back though and releasing music. It is fair to say that I am excited and looking forward to seeing them this year :-)

Edited by eastynh

It's not a bad shout, defo no higher than Other sub, no chance of headlining. Think it was said a while ago they were only being offered 4th at some fests.

Yep, its hard to gauge because they haven't done loads in the last few years (last Glastonbury appearance in '05 was it?) 

Depends what they want. If they want exposure for the new album then it'll probably be evening on Other, but I think headlining JP - a la Suede and Echo and the Bunnymen - would be excellent. 

Yep, its hard to gauge because they haven't done loads in the last few years (last Glastonbury appearance in '05 was it?) 

Depends what they want. If they want exposure for the new album then it'll probably be evening on Other, but I think headlining JP - a la Suede and Echo and the Bunnymen - would be excellent. 

I don't think it depends what they want to get an Other slot, I think it depends if the festival feel it worthy. I might be with you on this though, I'm tempted to change my last Other sub thought to Imagine Dragons.

• Downvote 1

If New Order are playing then all I can do is pray that I get a ticket. They really need to be headlining somewhere though. It would just be a waste having a new album and the back catalogue of New Order and Joy Division stuff, and them not getting the opportunity to play most of it. 

You know, I am as stumped as you really. Music wise, their is no doubt that they have the arsenal to pull off a great other stage headline set. Compare them to the 3 that headlined the other stage this year, then New Order clearly stand above all 3 music and legacy wise. The problem is, do they have the appeal any more to headline such a big stage. You look at the venues they are playing around Europe on their upcoming tour and they are the same as the ones Hurts have just announced.

On the face of it, you shake your head while trying to work out how Hurts have the same appeal as New Order (I am a big Hurts fan as well). Then you look at how Courteeners can play god knows how Many nights at the Apollo where as NO are playing 2 at the Warehouse Project.

Everyone who has wanted to see New Order over the last 30 something years has pretty much already done it.

So to answer your question I really don't know. They would go down a storm on West Holts. The problem there is that they are still far bigger than bands like Hot Chip and I expect the new NO album to outsell the Hot Chip one with ease.

They could sub the Pyramid under someone like Foo's, but that would be an absolute waste imo.

So I am probably leaning towards headlining other, just off their legacy and the hope the new album is as good as people suggest. It would in all probability but the last ever Glastonbury headline show they do, with a good new album behind them and put up against a more poppy headliner on the Pyramid (Ed Sheeran??) then it would be a fantastic night (fingers crossed).

I am just glad they are back though and releasing music. It is fair to say that I am excited and looking forward to seeing them this year :-)

Thanks for the considered response. You don't see JP or subbing other as possible then? I kind of do but I'd hate to have them sub anything. JP indoors in the dark could work if they're not too big.

Three West Holts headliners and counting :)

I can't see them headlining W.Holts. They don't fit the stage's old style (Jazz/world) or its new (Funk/Electro/Party).

EDIT: Admittedly they are electronic, but more serious than you'd normally see headlining that stage.

Yeah I'm inclined to agree I think. Hot Chip is the closest thing to them that have headlined and that's not very close at all.

Thanks for the considered response. You don't see JP or subbing other as possible then? I kind of do but I'd hate to have them sub anything. JP indoors in the dark could work if they're not too big.

Three West Holts headliners and counting :)

JP is far too small imo. It would be daft I think to gauge opinion based on this site to their popularity. There were an awful lot of 30 somethings and above at Glastonbury from my observations. There would be a lot of those inclined to watch New Order just for old times sake, even more so if the album is any cop.

Who would they actually sub on the other? It would just be wrong for New Order to sub Disclosure or someone of that ilk, regardless of Disclosure being more relevant to today. It would also be unfair on the band having to headline after them, Can you imagine, Imagine Dragons having to go on after New Order have just played an hours set which finished with True Faith, Temptation, Bizarre Love Triangle, Blue Monday, Regret? Thats even without dragging Iggy Pop up to sing Love Will Tear Us Apart and his song off the new album.

I really do not think sub is an option, for the reasons stated above and the fact it would be an absolute waste. \if they headlined JP then I would be there hours before as I personally think it would be far too small, especially so if they were put up against more pop/mainstream artists.

As mentioned previously, the casual fan who likes them will have seen them at some point over their 30 year + career.  Considering the likely age group of these fans, it is harder for them to get to individual gigs due to family commitments and the like. Given the option of seeing them at a festival though which someone has saved up for all year, I think there would be a lot of people who would want to see them and a whole different matter.

Heres a taster from the new album, 30 seconds bits from each song. It really is good how they have managed to keep a lid on the songs up till this point. I really am excited about its release..

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00ZRID8I6/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Edited by eastynh

I remember the last time they played, Neil said (at the risk of being wrong!) that the main Pyramid Booker was a big New Order fan.

So if the Booker is the still the same person and on Team Sumner (rather than Team Hooky) they may get an early evening set...

Personally I think they would be more suited to Headling JP.

I remember the last time they played, Neil said (at the risk of being wrong!) that the main Pyramid Booker was a big New Order fan.

So if the Booker is the still the same person and on Team Sumner (rather than Team Hooky) they may get an early evening set...

Personally I think they would be more suited to Headling JP.

Fairly sure there has been a personnel change since then.  Besides, I thought the Pyramid and Other stages were run by the same team, so they would have as much chance of headlining Other.

The best New Order tune for the best part of 20 years and certainly since Crystal. That is exactly how New Order should sound in 2015 imo. I am so glad this is good a it is a massive relief, especially after the lukewarm feelings I had for Restless on its release. It is a mix of the Chems (Out Of Control) and Donna Summer (I Feel Love)

Am itching for the album now. It will be nice to forget all about the previous 2 wishy washy guitar led albums and get back to listening to what New Order do best, which is electro pop you can get your teeth in to.