Latitude 2016

Amy Lawn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first Latitude and I'll definitely be going again. The Lake and the woods areas are the big hits of the festival. I loved the solas area with all the spiritual stuff and the yoga and meditation before a long day, the sunrise stage is nice too. I'd recommend anyone to go swimming in the lake I felt so vitalised afterwards. Next time I hope to plan a bit better which was hard not knowing stage times, wished the set times didn't overlap so much as I had to miss the start of some bands and people were entering the show as it was going on. The main stage was probably one of my least favourite areas as it was empty during the day and had lots of rubbish. 

I enjoyed the main four acts I wanted to see. Christine and the Queens was definitely the set of the weekend and Grimes was also visually stunning. John Grant blew me away with his voice, The National were good also and had the best catalogue of songs, I'd be interested to know what you all thought of the new songs they played, thought some of them are decent will have to listen again. Other acts I liked of the weekend were Father John Misty and M83. I loved Bill Bailey too. Biggest disappointment was New Order, thought they were boring just couldn't get into them and the lead singer just can't sing.

Overall a good weekend with all the sunshine and I feel better from all the walking.    

Did anybody catch Flamingods in the sunrise arena on the Friday? I found them utterly mesmerizing and definitely a highlight for me. What an amazing weekend, its great to hear the (mostly) positive comments. I'm glad you guys had as much of a good time as I did!

Edited by suttttttt

4 hours ago, suttttttt said:

Did anybody catch Flamingods in the sunrise arena on the Friday? 

I caught the second half of their set and loved them, they reminded me very much of Animal Collective who are one of my favourite bands.

Yeah everyone we interacted with was lovely and friendly too. It definitely is a very middle-class festival, but not in a negative way at all. I found everyone very respectful and considerate of each other which was really refreshing. I think it helps that there's no overcrowding so you're never really fighting for space or getting in people's way etc. 

On 18/07/2016 at 10:03 PM, tillyandthewall said:

I paused at a memorial that I didn't know existed on site, it's near Memorial Gate, on the non-public side of Family Campervans.  It commemorates a collision between two bombers over the site in WW2 - more info.

yes its a shame its in a none public area. 

I also looked into it see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-17771133

P1010554.jpg

This was our sixth Latitude, but first one with our  16 month old baby. Had a fabulous time and managed to stay out to see all of The Maccabees and New Order, but our son got upset during The National (I think just a teeny bit loud for him) so we had to eject to the campsite halfway through their set.

Other highlights were Augustines, Frightened Rabbit (anyone see the dude with the massive furry rabbit head, very funny), Chvrches, Che Faker and Money at the Sunrise Arena.

Only complaint was hte lack of facilities in family camping. 14 portaloos at our end (Motorhome/Caravan end). It's a heck of a walk to the loo. There was also very poor water pressure there, so it took ages to fill up water containers.I know these are relatively small first world problems but they seem ot have these facilities sorted elsewhere on site but neglected in the family bit.

I must admit to being green with envy at those in the motorhome field as I pulled a third trolley of camping gear to the tent!     

Once it again it proved to be my favourite festival by a long shot!

So safe/friendly/clean (compared to other festivals) 

Even in Yellow the campsite is near silent by around 2am for a decent night sleep. 

Never feel intimidated or worried at any stage. What about the weather too :D

Love the place so much

On 7/18/2016 at 9:49 PM, jimmyt said:

I am confused by the comments to about the punters; literally everyone we interacted with was friendly, pleasant and most often downright lovely. I couldn't even hate people dragging kids on carts through crowds - I just thought it was all great.

I didn't get those comments either. everyone I encountered was lovely, just more reserved perhaps but not rude or anything!

We had one amusing incident in the campsite Saturday afternoon... a guy in a red t-shirt, obviously off his face, came up to our group and started to try and teach us yoga by doing handstands and other crazy body contortions. Minutes later, some guy, calling himself head of events or something, approached us and asked questions about him and whether he was selling drugs or bothering us. We told him he was just having fun and that it was totally harmless and off he followed the guy who was now talking to another group.

This behaviour is nothing out of the ordinary at Glastonbury but seemed to be frowned upon here. But yeah, everyone we came across were good natured and friendly.

One of my favourite moments was seeing a bunch of 14-16 year olds (male and female) dancing and singing away merrily to The National without a care in the world.

These are my thoughts for our prospects in the future headliner stakes;

Could headline now;
Massive Attack
The Chemical Brothers
Gorillaz
Bjork
The Cure
The XX
NIN
Lana Del Rey
LCD Soundsystem
Beck
Hot Chip
Tame Impala
Jack White
Weezer
Frank Ocean

Could get big enough to headline soon;
Metronomy
Chvrches
St Vincent
James Blake
Fleet Foxes
Caribou
Haim
Wolf Alice

Please come back again;
Arcade Fire
Bon Iver
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

On 28/07/2016 at 11:14 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

These are my thoughts for our prospects in the future headliner stakes;

Could headline now;
Massive Attack
The Chemical Brothers
Gorillaz
Bjork
The Cure
The XX
NIN
Lana Del Rey
LCD Soundsystem
Beck
Hot Chip
Tame Impala
Jack White
Weezer
Frank Ocean
Jamie T
Bastille
PJ Harvey
Catfish & the Bottlemen

Could get big enough to headline soon;
Metronomy
Chvrches
St Vincent
James Blake
Fleet Foxes
Caribou
Haim
Wolf Alice
Hot Chip
The War on Drugs
Sufjan Stevens

Please come back again;
Arcade Fire
Bon Iver
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Made some vulgar, unsought edits to your delicately crafted list. I don't see Frankie Ocean, NIN, Chem Bros or Weezer as the type of acts that would have a look in at headlining Latitude and Hot Chip are probably a bit smaller than some on the could-be list and I'd be surprised to see them headline Latitude at this point too. Most of it's bang on though.

Happily, I reckon Nick Cave's a good shout now that repeats are back on the menu and yer man is meant to be touring again next year. Can't sub Glasto every year.

I think Melvin Benn's Big British Bump-up will be Bastille, sadly. I still think that Metronomy will headline next time they tour but next year seems soon.

Bastille, Gorillaz and Nick Cave is what I'll go for at this early stage. Such an early stage that there's no 2017 thread. Yeah.

I can't see Bastille being the bump-up, purely because they've never played Latitude. The bookers clearly like it when a band has worked their way up the line-ups. But then again, Two Door Cinema Club have never played, and they were booked to headline. I reckon Hot Chip would be favoured over  Bastille because of the incredible set they did in 2013, I think a lot of festivals see them for the bankable great time that they are, and they attract a pretty all-ages crowd.

Peej seems an obvious choice that I'd missed, she's been as a punter at least once as well.

The Chemical Brothers, I completely stick by, they seem a no-brainer.

I don't think Jamie T is going to be big enough, he peaked in popularity when he came back last year, but he's not such a big deal now the hype's died off.

Take your Catfish shit elsewhere, you despicable man.

53 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I can't see Bastille being the bump-up, purely because they've never played Latitude. The bookers clearly like it when a band has worked their way up the line-ups. But then again, Two Door Cinema Club have never played, and they were booked to headline. I reckon Hot Chip would be favoured over  Bastille because of the incredible set they did in 2013, I think a lot of festivals see them for the bankable great time that they are, and they attract a pretty all-ages crowd.

Peej seems an obvious choice that I'd missed, she's been as a punter at least once as well.

The Chemical Brothers, I completely stick by, they seem a no-brainer.

I don't think Jamie T is going to be big enough, he peaked in popularity when he came back last year, but he's not such a big deal now the hype's died off.

Take your Catfish shit elsewhere, you despicable man.

They've had no headliner like Chem Bros though so it'd be quite a departure. Jamie T is still a big thing and the hype doesn't seem to have died off - he just sold out like twenty dates last Friday and all he'd done since his last tour is release his new song that's basically Hadouken.

I think if they were gagging to kick Hot Chip up the bill after the set you enjoyed in 2013 then it'd have happened on this album; alas two summers, Maccabees and alt-J have passed by and no Hot Chip. Someone might emerge or they might manage to get The xx to headline or something but I certainly do see Bastille as strong contenders to be a new headliner. And I also forgot to add Ben Howard to that list. They programmed Mogwai and Grimes against TDCC and Maccabees though so it's not the end of the world is it?

Just decided to do Latitude next year on the basis of the reviews of you guys. Always fancied it but bypassed it for other festivals on the same weekend. 

Looking back at previous line-ups don't think I'll be disappointed. 

Flaming Lips as a poss headliner?  

Edited by Flaminglippy

Was it just me or was the second stage/tent a lot bigger than last year. I remember really struggling to get in to see Wolf Alice/Charlatans last year and the tent seemed small and cramped whereas this year the entrances seemed a lot bigger and there was loads of room near the back even for the headliners.

16 minutes ago, swede said:

Was it just me or was the second stage/tent a lot bigger than last year. I remember really struggling to get in to see Wolf Alice/Charlatans last year and the tent seemed small and cramped whereas this year the entrances seemed a lot bigger and there was loads of room near the back even for the headliners.

I think it was just you!

On 8/3/2016 at 1:23 PM, swede said:

I could have sworn the roof had been significantly lowered if anything.