Latitude 2016

Amy Lawn

Alright, 11th edition, let's ave it.

Survey here to let FR know what you think and your chance to win 2 free VIP tickets https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YGSJHGG

I've made my gripes known about limited NE bus routes, bag checks on the way in and diminishing quality of food stalls each year. Also put down Bjork, Joanna Newsom and Fever Ray as artists I'd like to see next year, because I'm going to be returning yet again.

Who do we think or wish will play? Aren't early birds usually on sale by now?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, 11th edition, let's ave it.

Survey here to let FR know what you think and your chance to win 2 free VIP tickets https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YGSJHGG

I've made my gripes known about limited NE bus routes, bag checks on the way in and diminishing quality of food stalls each year. Also put down Bjork, Joanna Newsom and Fever Ray as artists I'd like to see next year, because I'm going to be returning yet again.

Who do we think or wish will play? Aren't early birds usually on sale by now?

Ta for that. Entered, not having to pay makes the long, long trek worthwhile.

Flaming lips to headline!

... The BBCR6 tent!

Didn't even ask me who I wanted. Someone must have tipped them off about my poor music taste.

Rejected by a festival who have booked Alt-J, Two Door Cinema Club and Noel Gallagher to headline over the past two years, that's got to sting.

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well go with my yearly prediction.

Bjork to headline...

This really feels like THE YEAR! I'd have to be right at the front though, I was mildly annoyed by the ballsack talkers during Portishead this year, I'd cause extraordinary harm to anybody who pulled that sort of shit during Bjork.

What's going on with Bjork? She cancelled all upcoming shows to focus on making a new album didn't she? Will that wipe her out of next summer or will it be toured around then? Would be great if she was doing some shows, festivals or not, next year.

I think Lana Del Rey will headline Latitude next year. Maybe Tame Impala but they kinda only just played.

Are Lana Del Rey and Tame Impala big enough? They seem to gun for the smaller end of arena sized acts these days. Funny you mentioned LDR though, I went back to her first album and EP yesterday for the first time in ages, thought about how fucking great they both are and how good she was at Latitude in 2012.

Also I've just searched Tame Impala and seen they are doing arena shows, so I reckon that makes you right, exactly the sort of band Latitude are after. Good grief are they boring.

The good news is that with the Other Voices stage now being part of the festival, less competition for headliners too see is no bad thing in my eyes. The Young Fathers/SBTRKT clash nearly killed me this year. Out of three of us, I went to Young Fathers, one went to SBTRKT, and one went to Noel. We met up after, me and my mate who went to SBTRKT got into a heated discussion about who had the most life-affirming mad-dancing end of festival show, the Noel viewer complained bitterly about how crap his evening had been.

What's going on with Bjork? She cancelled all upcoming shows to focus on making a new album didn't she? Will that wipe her out of next summer or will it be toured around then? Would be great if she was doing some shows, festivals or not, next year.

I think Lana Del Rey will headline Latitude next year. Maybe Tame Impala but they kinda only just played.

Bjork had an emotional breakdown apparently. She may recover for next year!

lana Del ray is a good call, unless she goe's for V

Tame impala could do it, though second from top seems about right

Ta muchly - very useful. What about the amount of people onsite - my 11 year old likes to get right down the front - still possible without anything untoward at Latitude (depending on who is on obvs)?

We absolutely loved Green Man this year but the journey was knackering. I'm just worried that Latitude is too corporate - before Green Man we did Shambala and love that but we need slightly bigger bands to keep the kids happy.

Right - Green Man or Latitude as our family festival next year - anyone done both?

I did both this year. Personally, I like Latitude the best, but both appeal to different sorts of people. Both are great festivals for kids, but the difference is that Latitude has one big amazing kids area and loads of other great stuff that's not always kid friendly, Green Man is smaller but you can more happily take your kids pretty much anywhere. There's not much difference in it, to be honest, go to whichever appeals to your line-up wise and you'll have a brilliant time at either.

Right - Green Man or Latitude as our family festival next year - anyone done both?

I have and definitely prefer Greenman many times over Latitude! Latitude is too busy, corporate and security heavy for me although it has great bands. Where as GM is a lot more relaxed. There's kids everywhere and a lot of effort goes into the kids section every year

Also the GM site is a lot more compact.

For the headliners, there seems to be a pattern of one being a critically acclaimed act, one being an act stepping up to headliner, and one being an established popular sing-a-long.

For me, I'd like:

Critically acclaimed:  The xx/PJ Harvey

Step-up:  Disclosure/Regina Spektor

Singalong:  Scissor Sisters/Jake Bugg

Though I can see it being:

Critically acclaimed:  Chemical Brothers/Patti Smith

Step-up:  Courteneers/Maccabees

Singalong:  Stereophonics/Chic

I'd be surprised if most of those play, let alone headline, but The XX, Chemical Brothers, Disclosure and maybe The Maccabees are all possibilities.

I think Dental has called with Tame Impala there. I had no idea they were as popular as they are, but 2 nights at Alexandra Palace, one sold out, pretty much puts them right in the scope. Gorrilaz look like another obvious choice to me if they're about again next year. Depends how big Chvrches album is, but I think they'll be sub or BBC6 headline next year, then outright headlining on album three if they keep getting bigger. Massive Attack and Bjork have both been a long time coming, we must be getting at least one of them next year. Faithless could be an outside bet, as could The Cure. 

Regina Spektor would be a dream, but would she even headline the 6music stage? I haven't a clue on her size now, tho she did sell the RAH out pretty quickly yonks ago didn't she?

Reckon she's the same popularity level as Cat Power, who played third down to an upsettingly small crowd the other year. Incidentally, Cat Power has just announced she's playing in Manchester in a few weeks, when I'm out of the pissing country. Susanne Sundfor the night afterwards as well, why would they do this to me?