Jcatley

If James Bay is being banded around for 3rd down... they've been huge this year, King and Shine sold really well as did the album, I'll predict them going high up on festivals next year.

Give me Y&Y over those three, although Imagine Dragons were fab at Big Weekend.

those are all sub bands not third down

Disclosure sub I agree with, should have said that at the time instead of banded them with the other two. But 1975 and Imagine Dragons I dont see higher than 3rd at V tbh. Its like when the Vaccines were at V in 2013, they were 4th even though if they were at R&L they would probably have been higher. Y&Y maybe 3rd, but also I could just as likely see them headline the Arena or sub/3rd MTV stage. If they get another big song out before the summer, and it sells well, then 3rd main is doable but ATM I dont see it.

Whoever headliners

Disclosure - Chase and Status/Rebel Sound

Years & Years - James Bay

Rudimental - Probably David Guetta

Doesn't sound pop-py enough for V, but I cant think who is left, the pool of top V acts seems to get smaller every year

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would see Disclosure as the MTV stage headliner, would seem weird them subbing imo.

True, but each year V seem to have a DJ on one of the two top stages to close the festival and I think rudimental would be higher than 2 years ago, so higher than 4th Main. Rudimental could be 3rd/sub, was just a rough idea. I dont even know if Disclosure will have a new album out for sure

Ed sheeran to headline that is pretty much nailed on! But apart from that I can not think of any acts that could play V next year as most of the poppy acts played this year. 

Not if he doesnt have a new album. 2017 headliner is more likely if he doesnt have a new album next year, so dont know if it is 'nailed on'.

Disclosure will do reading not V, Rudimental will sub MainStage

If V outbidded reading, couldn't they get Disclosure. They seem to do R&L a lot, so doing V would be a swap for them and might appeal to a different fan base

Disclosure's new album will come out either end of this year or early next year. 100% happening though. Whether they play V or not is a different matter. I think V could really do with getting someone like Chem Brothers in to headline another stage, keeps their dance theme going but would also bring back V festivals old fans.

Disclosure's new album will come out either end of this year or early next year. 100% happening though. Whether they play V or not is a different matter. I think V could really do with getting someone like Chem Brothers in to headline another stage, keeps their dance theme going but would also bring back V festivals old fans.

Chems or Prodigy would be great to headline the second stage, if Prodigy would take it at V. Wouldnt look right them subbing, and I dont know if V would give them a headline slot so headlining second stage is maybe the way round it

I hadn't heard the exact date, had only heard briefly that there was a new album on the radio. Sorry that I wasn't so accurate with my album dates.

I'm sorry if my post seemed like I was having a pop as that wasn't my intention. Just seemed odd is all. I do agree with your point though that Chemical Brothers would be a good booking for V, think Disclosure will get a high spot at Reading again. The 1975 i reckon will also be at Reading instead of V.

True, but I dont think she does many festivals now, especially over here in the UK. I know she did IOW a few years ago but not sure about anything else since then

Would make it a better booking then if V pulled it off :P I don't think it'll happen but it would be a great variation on the same acts that always get booked, she'd be prefect for a sub spot

I can not believe that the arena size was smaller this year, that must be a bad sign. I know people always mocked V but i still thing V was a bloody good festival back in the day and saw some amazing performances plus thought Weston park was a great venue. It is such a shame to see V like this.  

I can not believe that the arena size was smaller this year, that must be a bad sign. I know people always mocked V but i still thing V was a bloody good festival back in the day and saw some amazing performances plus thought Weston park was a great venue. It is such a shame to see V like this.

To be fair most of the large festivals are/have been struggling for a while now, hey even my last Glastonbury in 2008 struggled to sell out until very late on.

TITP is struggling to sell, so is Reading/Leeds. Same as V these festivals used to sell out in hours, the quick sell outs are long gone and more than likely never to return.

The punter wants something different than the large festivals are serving up, weaker lineups and same old headliners and organisers have shot themselves in the foot. Reading/Leeds even cut day tickets to try and sell out day tickets, they even struggled with this initiative.

Also the European market is thriving and more and more people are going that route, for example werchter is a 4 day festival and is cheaper than v festival which is 2. You can also pretty much guarantee better weather at a European festival, that's another advantage.

If memory serves me right V was the last major to start struggling, will v survive? Yes.

Will it change? No, Its not possible in there market to change.

Bands are generally touring more and more, so festivals don't have the uniqueness of seeing an act play.

Organisers are pricing themself out of the market, especially for day trippers. For example my mate took his partner, 2 kids for a day at v for around £350 plus spending money. Festivals have become very expensive for families, where's the new breed of festival goers going to come from if you're pricing them out? Major festivals is where punters usually start off going to festivals, coincidence it's these that are struggling?

Edited by thetime

Except from Glastonbury majorly revived itself and now has itself in a position where it never has to worry about ticket sales.

What did they do to majorly revive itself? Glastonbury has had plenty of slow ticket sales years, hey when I started going I sent a cheque to buy my Glastonbury tickets. That's how slow ticket sales used to be for Glastonbury or how old I am.

Avicii

Emeli Sande

Years and Years

The Prodigy

Mumford and Sons

Rudimental

Two Door Cinema Club

Chase and Status

If Avicii was there I would try convince him to headline the second stage, Prodigy could co-headline main as tbh they are more deserving and been around longer at the top. Would be good if the top 4 for each day was that but I cant see it being that strong

Could it be much weaker? As you've suggested, Avicii isn't a strong headliner, and Rudimental/Sande certainly aren't huge subs.

For V, having Prodigy and Mumford and sons is the strong part. Add on top of that Avicii which is one of the top Dj's in the dance circuit, and Chase and Status, I think it makes for a strong top 8 for V. Prodigy would be a good co headliner with someone who hasnt headlined a big fest yet on their own.

Prodigy

Ed Sheeran (Doubt he will do fests until a new album/2017, but came to mind as a fairly deserving co headliner)

Rudimental

Mumford and Sons

Emeli Sande? Not a fan but you mentioned her

Avicii