How would you make titp at top festival again?

Lor1

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I struggle to understand Neil.  What does moved on in respect of T mean.  They have changed direction and went for a purely pop focused line up as opposed to what they had before which was pop music along with a reasonable variety of acts.

Pet Sounds used to be a very busy stage with alternative bands but this year nobody watched War on Drugs, the type of band I'd happily watch at T.

T have targeted school leavers as their prime audience in the last few years and it's simply not working.  The site is getting smaller, the crowds keep getting smaller and the debacle this year will put off many others.

Maybe I haven't moved on as you say Neil, but I have a varied taste from metal/rock to dubstep and some stuff in between.  T used to throw in the occasional metal band and for that I was happy enough to go along.

You can defend Ellis as much as you want but whoever adopted the new strategy should seriously look at the numbers they are attracting to see it isn't working.

Predictable if nothing else. Can we put it in baby language for you to understand? If the likes of War on Drugs had played in 2012 there would have been an audience because fans other than just teeny chart boppers attended. Those people no go now cos bad man made it horrible for them. When bad man put on good band now no good fans cos they gone to good festivals. Okay?

Predictable if nothing else. Can we put it in baby language for you to understand? If the likes of War on Drugs had played in 2012 there would have been an audience because fans other than just teeny chart boppers attended. Those people no go now cos bad man made it horrible for them. When bad man put on good band now no good fans cos they gone to good festivals. Okay?

Was demand already clearly falling in 2012?

Was demand already clearly falling in 2012?

I have no way of knowing that. What I do know is that there were a shit load of regulars that were disgusted by the line up and vowed never to buy early bird tickets again. I'd wager that a high percentage of them have never bought any kind of ticket again.

I have no way of knowing that. What I do know is that there were a shit load of regulars that were disgusted by the line up and vowed never to buy early bird tickets again. I'd wager that a high percentage of them have never bought any kind of ticket again.

I do have a way of knowing that.

And shitloads of new punters are now buying tickets.

Perhaps not enough, I'm not trying to claim T have worked it perfectly (tho not all musical fashions work the same anyway).

But T was always a pop festival, and it still is.

The hottest festie ticket this summer was just the sort of stuff you hate, BTW.

Perhaps not enough, I'm not trying to claim T have worked it perfectly (tho not all musical fashions work the same anyway).

I think that's a point you keep repeating, thinking we don't realise that.  We do.  I always went to T knowing it was completely mainstream but they did try and at least put on a selection of stuff for most tastes. 

They have diluted the quality of acts and fill the bill with here today gone tomorrow teeny acts.  

I have given up because acts/bands that played in Pet Sounds are no longer welcome at T.  A stage with stuff like WOD, The National, Tame Impala, Levellers to name a few etc would be a fine way to spend a weekend.

I think that's a point you keep repeating, thinking we don't realise that. We do. I always went to T knowing it was completely mainstream but they did try and at least put on a selection of stuff for most tastes.

They have diluted the quality of acts and fill the bill with here today gone tomorrow teeny acts.

I have given up because acts/bands that played in Pet Sounds are no longer welcome at T. A stage with stuff like WOD, The National, Tame Impala, Levellers to name a few etc would be a fine way to spend a weekend.

They didn't put much on for my tastes, then or now. Your tastes are not necessarily most tastes.

It mostly had here today gone tomorrow teenie pop acts - indie landfill at that time. It still has the same smattering of the less-pop stuff.

They didn't put much on for my tastes, then or now. Your tastes are not necessarily most tastes.

It mostly had here today gone tomorrow teenie pop acts - indie landfill at that time. It still has the same smattering of the less-pop stuff.

I agree Neil that my taste in music isn't everyone's and T essentially attempts to appeal to the masses .  That's their prerogative but I think they miss a trick with their current strategy.   

At least 12 of us went regularly but this year in particular we all looked at the bill and thought, no, why bother.  I could see 3 bands I'd make sure I went to see.

What was that then? I don't hate anything. I just believe that when I'm paying to see a musician play live, that's what I should get. I'm happy enough watching a guy play CDs with a fancy light show but it's not worth the same amount of money as a band full of skilled musicians. 

Whatever hot festive ticket you refer to I doubt it sells out quicker than Belladrum which sells out every year usually before a single act is announced.

What was that then? I don't hate anything. I just believe that when I'm paying to see a musician play live, that's what I should get. I'm happy enough watching a guy play CDs with a fancy light show but it's not worth the same amount of money as a band full of skilled musicians.

Whatever hot festive ticket you refer to I doubt it sells out quicker than Belladrum which sells out every year usually before a single act is announced.

Wild Life at Shoreham airport (on some of its better days).

It defo sold out quicker than Belladrum. Belladrum does not sell out before acts are announced.

But anyway, different fest's for different things. Could Bella sell 80000 tickets? Nope. That needs the seriously popular.

It surely couldn't sell that many. That's the appeal, If it doesn't sell before the acts are announced it does very quickly afterwards as most of the tickets have gone anyways. Just for reference I'll keep checking both this year. Bella doesn't need a good day, it just sells out. Most are returnees that go every year. The kind of return custom T used to have.

It surely couldn't sell that many. That's the appeal, If it doesn't sell before the acts are announced it does very quickly afterwards as most of the tickets have gone anyways. Just for reference I'll keep checking both this year. Bella doesn't need a good day, it just sells out. Most are returnees that go every year. The kind of return custom T used to have.

Yep, festivals not driven by pop culture work differently.

You're overhyping Bella BTW. I know its got more popular, but not by that much.

Still, got to keep the idle rich in their castles, what what.

Edited by eFestivals

Angry? Nothing but cold hard facts and sarcasm there bud. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

And can I just reiterate the sarcasm bit for the "expert" question. Most people that have engaged in real conversation in real life would have spotted that immediately.

I'd suggest one maybe concentrate on sarcasm ;P

On a major festival level, I'd have said Creamfields comfortably, that's what I was expecting from you. They sold 3 day tickets very early.

I think that's a point you keep repeating, thinking we don't realise that.  We do.  I always went to T knowing it was completely mainstream but they did try and at least put on a selection of stuff for most tastes. 

But are you realizing that what is popular now and will sell tickets is what T is booking?, it doesn't mean we have to like it but chuck too much alternative stuff at it and while there will be the likes of your devilman go, I'd hazard a guess it wouldn't out way the teens that use it for a summer fest between schools times.

You all complain but the tickets still sell.

Yup. This is the point.

They might not be selling as well as they were a decade ago, but few festivals are selling as well; both Reading/Leeds and V - the two festivals most similar to T - have both seen their popularity drop too.

That's not because the festivals have particularly changed their approach to bookings, it's because music has changed. They're still booking the hottest acts of the moment, with some others from 2, 5, 10, 15 years ago thrown in too (but even those 2, 5, 10, 15 years ago acts have moved along the line).

Realistically, keeping properly contemporary is T's only option at the size it is. If it sticks to any era that crowd will naturally fade away over time. By staying current it's always bringing in new blood.

I wouldn't deny that T has perhaps got a bit lost with what it's booked in the last few years as it's tried to play catch-up to the new fashions, but that's a problem that other mega-festivals have had difficulties with too. Ultimately I end up concluding that the current 'pop' scene is less festival friendly than at other times but that it'll flip back up again when people playing instruments comes more-back into fashion, i reckon.

Yup. This is the point.

They might not be selling as well as they were a decade ago, but few festivals are selling as well; both Reading/Leeds and V - the two festivals most similar to T - have both seen their popularity drop too.

That's not because the festivals have particularly changed their approach to bookings, it's because music has changed. They're still booking the hottest acts of the moment, with some others from 2, 5, 10, 15 years ago thrown in too (but even those 2, 5, 10, 15 years ago acts have moved along the line).

Realistically, keeping properly contemporary is T's only option at the size it is. If it sticks to any era that crowd will naturally fade away over time. By staying current it's always bringing in new blood.

I wouldn't deny that T has perhaps got a bit lost with what it's booked in the last few years as it's tried to play catch-up to the new fashions, but that's a problem that other mega-festivals have had difficulties with too. Ultimately I end up concluding that the current 'pop' scene is less festival friendly than at other times but that it'll flip back up again when people playing instruments comes more-back into fashion, i reckon.

I think that's a very valid comment.

Stick em on the main stage if you like, just give us a rock tent /lockup/transmissions type thing. 

but ultimately you're asking for new expenditure on acts, which is only worthwhile if it brings in greater revenue than the extra expense.

Given that businessmen don't turn away free money, have you ever stopped to consider that the negative finances will be why it's not happening?

(funnily enough, I keep coming across similar ideas as yours in other threads here, where if only the big guys listened to what those with zero knowledge of the situation said, great wealth would fall from the sky, while actual businessmen don't want that free money which some say is there waiting for them :lol:)

Edited by eFestivals