How would you make titp at top festival again?

Lor1

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way i see strathallan continuing is by switching the main stage and radio 1 stage and moveing all the area to the rear of the main stage back around 15/20m oh and move the cocktail cocktail bar, it might just have been in the worst possible place, more seating perhaps, defo campsite entertainment and some competent stewarding complimented by a 1/2 decent line up done, i prey for all but expect none

The only way i see strathallan continuing is by switching the main stage and radio 1 stage and moveing all the area to the rear of the main stage back around 15/20m oh and move the cocktail cocktail bar, it might just have been in the worst possible place, more seating perhaps, defo campsite entertainment and some competent stewarding complimented by a 1/2 decent line up done, i prey for all but expect none

They cant have it there again.

45mins-2 hr walk back to your tent isn't good enough.

It was more like a fairground with a couple of tents thrown in.

Sound turned down

Brutal to get too.

What I've heard unbelevable traffic because of the shitey roads getting home each night

And what I've said before zero to do after 12.

definitely need a major rething regarding venue. Can't have it laid out the way it was last year and must have a better traffic plan if they're not moving venue.

There is someone on here who always bangs on about bring the Pet Sounds tent back, and to be honest I think they're right. Would be great way to allow to have a more varied line up and attract a larger demographic.

However, will DF think they need to change anything? I'd imagine they're still making a decent profit on it each year.

definitely need a major rething regarding venue. Can't have it laid out the way it was last year and

However, will DF think they need to change anything? I'd imagine they're still making a decent profit on it each year.

Especially if they're getting it partly funded by the government like they did this year...

definitely need a major rething regarding venue. Can't have it laid out the way it was last year and must have a better traffic plan if they're not moving venue.

There is someone on here who always bangs on about bring the Pet Sounds tent back, and to be honest I think they're right. Would be great way to allow to have a more varied line up and attract a larger demographic.

Pretty obvious but they need to get the finger out with there line ups.

Break the bank get the roses back,blur,foo fighters muse ffs even Metallica,main stage should be for bands.

Edm has its place give the kids there own stage that has those djs playing all day till there ears bleed.

Rewind festival is massive just now gets a couple of 80s band like erasure,human league stick them on in tuts in the afternoon.

Tenents bar played the same tunes as slam,it was a older crowd and it would have been 100xs better playing proper old skool and the Streetrave boys know how to put on a party....

I can see what you're saying there but they have totally lost the punters that would go see Pet Sound stuff.  Without stereotyping it's likely been those who went regularly over the years.  T over the last few years have alienated they're long time attendees by aiming for the school kids leaving 5th year.

T has gone as stale as any festival, except probably V.  Charging more each year for a sub standard line up in what seems to have been a dreadful venue.

I went to Download, Werchter, Bella and spent Saturday at Reading.  Would I go back to T ?  Not a chance

T has gone as stale as any festival, except probably V.  Charging more each year for a sub standard line up in what seems to have been a dreadful venue.

I went to Download, Werchter, Bella and spent Saturday at Reading.  Would I go back to T ?  Not a chance

Maybe a little harsh there Red Day. If they put on a line up something like those of 2009-11, held it somewhere that could actually hold an event that size, didn't charge an obscene amount for campervan tickets that your mates can't even tent in your pitch for AND could guarantee the weather would be nice I'd go back. Till then I'll just stare wistfully at the old site as I drive past to another festival. Brew at the Bog, Download, Rambling Man Fair, Leeds and Loopallu for me this year. All been ace so far. I'd love to add T back to my list but I can't see it happening any time whilst TCGE is in charge.

T over the last few years have alienated they're long time attendees by aiming for the school kids leaving 5th year.

T has gone as stale as any festival

This makes me laugh.

You say that T should have stood still in time, and then accuse it of having gone stale. :lol:

I'd say it's you that's gone stale, by refusing to move with the musical times.

(I seem to have finally got stuck in a musical rut, I'm not condemning you for that part. I'm condemning you for failing to realise that's what's happened with you, and believing that the answer to T's problems is the contradiction you give).

T has always been a 'pop festival' (meant in the broadest terms), and not a 'your genres and staying here' festival.

You are wrong.T has narrowed its target audience. No one has said it shouldn't move with the times, just that it should cater for a broader range of genres LIKE IT USED TO. If they don't, and if they stay at Strathallan, T will die. Quickly. You may save this post to throw back at me in the future.

You are wrong.T has narrowed its target audience. No one has said it shouldn't move with the times, just that it should cater for a broader range of genres LIKE IT USED TO. If they don't, and if they stay at Strathallan, T will die. Quickly. You may save this post to throw back at me in the future.

T is concentrating on the same sector it always did, the music that youngsters are listening to. Youngsters don't do indie landfill any more.

T did not have a broader range of genres in the past, it was (Slam tent aside) pretty much wall-to-wall indie landfill (50%+). Most of those bands don't even exist any more.

You're suggesting that it widens its music policy - which isn't a bad idea in itself, but it's obviously not what T sees itself as being about, or they think it's not economically viable, or leads to a dead-end, whatever.

The problem T is having (which V is suffering from too) is that where music has moved to isn't really a place where that audience has an affinity with festivals (or at least, not to the same extent).

There's plenty of festivals which still cater for indie landfill. I don't really get why people think a festival should follow their own tastes; if people were saying Download should be doing rave, its all the same thing but much clearer to see as a change of musical policy.

Edited by eFestivals

Man you're such a troll. Please explain when bands such as Wolfmother, Rise Against, Airbourne, NIN, Eddie Grant, The Wailers etc etc etc were indie landfill. Please explain where the African music was showcased this year. These were all present during the years when the indie music you love so much was supposedly dead popular. T used to cater for more genres and a bigger spectrum of music lovers. They don't anymore. They used to sell out. They don't anymore. The only constant around here is that you are full off crap and hatred for T.

Man you're such a troll. Please explain when bands such as Wolfmother, Rise Against, Airbourne, NIN, Eddie Grant, The Wailers etc etc etc were indie landfill. Please explain where the African music was showcased this year. These were all present during the years when the indie music you love so much was supposedly dead popular. T used to cater for more genres and a bigger spectrum of music lovers. They don't anymore. They used to sell out. They don't anymore. The only constant around here is that you are full off crap and hatred for T.

With respect here, going by the sound of the small crowd NIN got, it was only beaten by Beady Eye in recent times.

While I don't totally agree with what Neil says, the rock/indie that was around years back has faded out, back then the youth of that time loved all that, nowadays it's quite easy to see dance music has taken over to an extent and it's what sells very well! You only have to look at Creamfields this year and last year, on top a a damn £18 booking fee as well, it's been the fastest festivals to sell out it's 3 day weekend tickets. This is a festival by the way that when R&L, T and V used to fly out in tickets and you were like, 'I GOT ONE', never sold out.

What is 'pop' to you hasn't changed, but what is 'pop' to the masses and the general festival goer for T has. You for example are like, give us RATM, the 80k that want to go are like, CALVIN HARRIS!.

The thing with T compared to R&L is that why they've shared many acts over the year, Reading has also booked a lot that T hasn't ever and wouldn't ever touch as it's never associated it's self as that much of a rock festival, whereas Reading originally started out as called Reading Rock Festival, I think. Make no mistake though, Leeds won't go on forever, I dread to think how many tickets would have been told for it at £100 a day ticket! 

Download books a lot of what you like but you will never have a big portion of that festival wanting to hanging around the 'kids' we'll say and that music would never survive at T as it was never used when it sold instantly. Download never sells out but they will budget on that fact and compensate on a % of what they expect.

Who said the NIN crowd was that small? Janes Addiction before them was fairly sparse however.

The size of the crowd they got is irrelevant. Bands like those I listed are more popular now than they were then but T won't book them now. That's the point I'm trying to make. T used to cater for more tastes. They don't now. Fine if the target audience like what you put on. When they get fed up there is no "we'll go anyway because there's bound to be something we like" crowd to fall back on. I don't dispute that T has always been primarily targeted at what is popular at the time. They just don't have anything else apart from that now. It was the small percentage of "something else to watch when the shite is on" that got them a far bigger return custom than they realise. I realise that you are now a T expert after going once but have a look at the variety in the line ups. Despite what the daddy troll of this site says, it wasn't all indie landfill, whatever the fuck that is.

This makes me laugh.

You say that T should have stood still in time, and then accuse it of having gone stale. :lol:

I'd say it's you that's gone stale, by refusing to move with the musical times.

(I seem to have finally got stuck in a musical rut, I'm not condemning you for that part. I'm condemning you for failing to realise that's what's happened with you, and believing that the answer to T's problems is the contradiction you give).

T has always been a 'pop festival' (meant in the broadest terms), and not a 'your genres and staying here' festival.

I'm glad it makes you laugh.  Where do I say it should have stayed still in time ?

T has gone stale as hell over the last few years and I'm a little better placed to comment on that having been at the festival almost every year.

If I stand still like you suggest why do I keep going to festivals and continue to enjoy myself.  It's mainly because I'm happy to listen to new stuff as well as some more classic bands.

Werchter had a cracking blend of old and new.  From Royal Blood, current chart stuff to Patti Smith.  Would T have Patti Smith type acts, no.  Did it sell out. Yes

Reading - Had a variety including pop, dance , rock, metal.  Did it sell out.  Yes.

T used to book acts like the Levellers, the National, Brian Wilson through to Rage, the Who, REM, and a variety of really good stuff over the weekend to keep everyone happy.  They have changed booking policy to look at what's in the top 40 and simply book that.

It's their festival and they can do what they want, but don't expect punters to return year after year when it's just the latest fad you book.

Who said the NIN crowd was that small? Janes Addiction before them was fairly sparse however.

The size of the crowd they got is irrelevant. Bands like those I listed are more popular now than they were then but T won't book them now. That's the point I'm trying to make. T used to cater for more tastes. They don't now. Fine if the target audience like what you put on. When they get fed up there is no "we'll go anyway because there's bound to be something we like" crowd to fall back on. I don't dispute that T has always been primarily targeted at what is popular at the time. They just don't have anything else apart from that now. It was the small percentage of "something else to watch when the shite is on" that got them a far bigger return custom than they realise. I realise that you are now a T expert after going once but have a look at the variety in the line ups. Despite what the daddy troll of this site says, it wasn't all indie landfill, whatever the fuck that is.

Why are you getting so angry over it? When have I said I'm an expert, I wrote what I did based on knowing what the lineups were like. Unfortunately devilman, your big issue is here like many others times, you can't accept anyone's else's opinion could be correct/partly correct if it's not your view. Unless it's what you've said and think, it's wrong!

Reading - Had a variety including pop, dance , rock, metal.  Did it sell out.  Yes.

At least be honest here mate, it did what it always does a sold a portion of to 2nd hand/it's partners sellers.

Reading sold out ages before the festival last year didn't it? When it's like this year or 2011 and they announce it's sold old just barely before it starts I'm as suspicious as the next person, but I don't see why they'd be shifting tickets to viagogo in June.

How the hell it sold out last year and not this is what I don't really understand, haha. Arctic Monkeys pulling power I guess.

Why are you getting so angry over it?

When have I said I'm an expert,

Angry? Nothing but cold hard facts and sarcasm there bud. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

And can I just reiterate the sarcasm bit for the "expert" question. Most people that have engaged in real conversation in real life would have spotted that immediately.

I didn't say only landfill. It was mostly landfill.

I can't ever remember seeing an African act on the bill. Because it was full of landfill instead.

And its not me saying T is dead and hating it cos its moved on while you haven't. :lol:

Edited by eFestivals