2017 festival

kaosmark2

9 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I reckon You Me At Six are in real trouble headlining NME opposite Kasabian, Fatboy Slim, Billy Talent and Danny Brown. 

I'm more worried for people with taste having nothing to watch at headliner time. The FR headliner that night isn't up to much either, although that's where I'd probably be 

Edited by Zac Quinn

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

They cannot afford it? It's every band who are playing already, other than Chance. 

Yes and if they could put Liam in 3rd and Chance as sub or vice they would have, Liam won't have been as cheap as some think and they have expensive headliners. Eminem has sacked off Wembley or something to play Reading, if Leeds sold as well as it did years ago then yes.

34 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Maybe but the other two acts playing 3rd down this year are big enough for it. Blossoms are just a big old stinker.

I come at this as someone who has never heard a blossoms song. However reading their credentials on their Wikipedia site. Number one album (in an era where indie/rock isn't huge), 4th place on the BBC sound of poll. The placement doesn't seem out of line with what I expect.

Edited by pink_triangle

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Blossoms are playing 5th down the bill at TRNSMT festival, below Twin Atlantic. They'll be 5th or 6th down the bill at Glastonbury.

Dont forget they're subbing Jamie T on the thursday night at bestival in the big top. Jamie T is still a third down act at R&L and yet blossoms are playing before him a week after 

31 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

It's got to be Billy Talent on that night, hasn't it? Great band. 

Would have to be Danny Brown if I was going. In fact, over every stage on every day there are only two headliners I'd see as things stand (Danny Brown and Muse). I've never listened to Flume but heard good things about him so I'd probably check him out on that night, but fuck me it really is terrible.

5 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Would have to be Danny Brown if I was going. In fact, over every stage on every day there are only two headliners I'd see as things stand (Danny Brown and Muse). I've never listened to Flume but heard good things about him so I'd probably check him out on that night, but fuck me it really is terrible.

I forgot about Danny. That throws a spanner in the works for sure. But yeah overall I think the headliners are pretty bad. I'm a massive WSS fan but I think unless this album really pushes them on, they could have subbed that stage again. I'm not complaining too much, though. They will still put on one of the sets of the weekend and blow everyone who is watching them away. 

Less Than Jake is a decent headliner for me if it isn't them, but I would prefer Neck Deep. 

13 hours ago, thelemon said:Neither did The Stone Roses in 96 and the hype if they were headlining would be crazy. Same with Arctic Monkeys in 2009. I wasn't there but I've heard a lot of people weren't blown away. Take them away for a few years and everything changes. The world is waiting for an Oasis reunion, this will probably do for now, it's better than nowt.

Yes a full on Oasis maybe. Not just Gallagher though. 

Ian Brown played mid main stage last time he played Reading (and was quite possibly the worst act I've seen in my 20 years of going!)

I think the lack of talent on the undercard may result in R&L facing issues similar to T with many sticking around in the camp site all day; I may be slightly out of touch at my ripe old age of 22 but no one really gives a propellered shit about bands like The Sherlocks do they? They sound like they're making music to impress their own dads

3 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

I think the lack of talent on the undercard may result in R&L facing issues similar to T with many sticking around in the camp site all day; I may be slightly out of touch at my ripe old age of 22 but no one really gives a propellered shit about bands like The Sherlocks do they? They sound like they're making music to impress their own dads

haha, I'm not sure what that means but I'd imagine they will get a decent crowd. They are just another bland indie band coming through which the R&L crowd will eat up

45 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

No one really gives a propelled shit about 75% of the lineup.....it's more 90% in my case but I am older.

They don't sell well anyway at Leeds and they now can't put on as big acts down the lineups even though they are charging almost a tenner extra for a day ticket that last year, the issue is that it's the same price that the headliners charge averagely for their own outdoor gigs with much less acts for that day.

TBH, it kinda looks like in general R+L just forgot to book subs this year. Other than ML, Liam + Bastille are both 3rd down acts imo (as is Chance which people have suggested). TDCC may be able to pull off 3rd down too but imo them and Bastille should probs be 4th down too.

Bit of a mess really (at least Glass Animals into Flume will be a good night on the NME)

4 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Muse were fucking awful at Glastonbury last year, and the set was almost exclusively derided. The previous festival set I saw from them was also shite, and their arena tour last year was average. And I'm basically the board's resident Muse fan (seen them 11 times). They're no longer a top live band. Their setlists are terrible and there's no excitement or anything there anymore (seeing them in Manchester Academy playing a fan-friendly setlist the other year was infinitely better than any other recent time I've seen them). They'll play half of Drones, the shit like Uprising, Starlight, Madness and Time is Running Out, and maybe 5 or so good songs throughout the set, ignoring the likes of Hysteria and New Born in favour of wasting 10 minutes closing the set with The bloody Globalist. They've apparently got some new songs coming soon which will most likely be just as awful as the last three albums and they'll probably waste more setlist space on those, too.

Also Liam Gallagher's will be nothing like an Oasis reunion. It'll be a bunch of random musicians playing some Oasis songs and some most-likely-terrible new stuff, fronted by an ageing Liam Gallagher whose voice is totally gone and will butcher any classics he tries his hand at.

Blossoms are playing 5th down the bill at TRNSMT festival, below Twin Atlantic. They'll be 5th or 6th down the bill at Glastonbury. They're no different to any of the other hundreds of indie landfill bands about, and their one album doesn't deserve to get them 3rd down the bill at Reading and Leeds. If they don't add Chance the Rapper or someone to that day it's going to look awful and be one of the worst days R&L have ever booked.

Anyway, that got a bit ranty. Haven't really posted about the lineup yet so unloaded all my thoughts about it in response to your post :lol:

Well said Will, you have summed up the whole situation spot on, well done sir. 

Friday: Mallory Knox>Counterfeit>Jimmy Eat World>Two Door Cinema Club>Bastille>{Kasabian/YMAS}
Saturday: Moose Blood>The Pretty Reckless>PVRIS>Marmozets>Frank Carter>Sundara Karma>Jax Jones>{Korn/Turbowolf}>Major Lazer>Eminem
Sunday: VANT>Against the Current>Architects>Blossoms>Liam Galagher>Breaking Benjamin>Muse

I could quite easily fill up a weekend of bands, yet with the exception of Breaking Benjamin nothing is making me really want to buy a ticket. 

4 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

TBH, it kinda looks like in general R+L just forgot to book subs this year. Other than ML, Liam + Bastille are both 3rd down acts imo (as is Chance which people have suggested). TDCC may be able to pull off 3rd down too but imo them and Bastille should probs be 4th down too.

Bit of a mess really (at least Glass Animals into Flume will be a good night on the NME)

Bastille are a sun I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

Well said Will, you have summed up the whole situation spot on, well done sir. 

TBH, Time is running out is a tune for me it's correct about Muse, my friends loved it at Glasto but they'd never seen them before whereas I had about 4 times to compare it, didn't have a regret leaving for Underworld, they haven't made a decent album since BH for me but they did an album show for OOS at Reading so can't really moan too much at lack of New Born etc.

Adding chance won't change it being a shocker but it won't be as bad as a day last year...thing ever will for Reading again, at least this year it's only a likely sub they have lower at Glasto, I'm not counting Biffy at months later Biffy have fallen......Download are just bell ends!

Honestly, from a perspective of a first time goer, I couldn't be more excited regarding the lineup. Muse has been one of my all-time favourite bands, and it'll be the performance that will make my summer. I'm pretty sure there's lots of 16-18 year olds who share this excitement to see Eminem, Muse and Kasabian, in most cases for the first/second time. This is the demographic that R/L has to appeal to.

Anyway, my schedule for the weekend would be:

Lifeà The Magic Gangà Mallory Knoxà Rat Boy à Circa Wavesà JEW à TDCCà Bastille à Danny Brown

Paris Youth Foundationà Superfoodà Blaenevon à Inheaven à Cabbageà Frank Carterà Sundara Karma à Loyle Carner àEverything Everything à Glass Animals à Flume

Vantà Ten Tonnesà  King Nun à Pondà The Sherlocks à Blossoms à Liam Gallagher à Muse

There's so many bands, both old and new, that I want to see. It's gonna be a fantastic weekend for a first timer, if you guys can empathise with that. That's even without the absences of Royal Blood, Catfish and Alt-J.

9 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Muse were fucking awful at Glastonbury last year, and the set was almost exclusively derided. The previous festival set I saw from them was also shite, and their arena tour last year was average. And I'm basically the board's resident Muse fan (seen them 11 times). They're no longer a top live band. Their setlists are terrible and there's no excitement or anything there anymore (seeing them in Manchester Academy playing a fan-friendly setlist the other year was infinitely better than any other recent time I've seen them). They'll play half of Drones, the shit like Uprising, Starlight, Madness and Time is Running Out, and maybe 5 or so good songs throughout the set, ignoring the likes of Hysteria and New Born in favour of wasting 10 minutes closing the set with The bloody Globalist. They've apparently got some new songs coming soon which will most likely be just as awful as the last three albums and they'll probably waste more setlist space on those, too.

Also Liam Gallagher's will be nothing like an Oasis reunion. It'll be a bunch of random musicians playing some Oasis songs and some most-likely-terrible new stuff, fronted by an ageing Liam Gallagher whose voice is totally gone and will butcher any classics he tries his hand at.

Blossoms are playing 5th down the bill at TRNSMT festival, below Twin Atlantic. They'll be 5th or 6th down the bill at Glastonbury. They're no different to any of the other hundreds of indie landfill bands about, and their one album doesn't deserve to get them 3rd down the bill at Reading and Leeds. If they don't add Chance the Rapper or someone to that day it's going to look awful and be one of the worst days R&L have ever booked.

Anyway, that got a bit ranty. Haven't really posted about the lineup yet so unloaded all my thoughts about it in response to your post :lol:

I'm not a massive Muse fan but them not playing New Born at Glastonbury last year was just not acceptable.

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Slam Dunk? The Fireball stage they're playing on is a massive selling point for the older audience. 

Yeah I'm pretty sure they've held acts back for after Slam Dunk before. I was expecting a blank space when the poster came down but obviously the special guests tag works the same.

I've got a feeling that they might be holding off Rag'n'Bone Man until after Live at Leeds as well. I know they've got dozens of LAL acts at the fest but he's a headliner, I suppose. Would be incredibly odd for neither one of V or R+L to not get their hands all over the latest flash in the pan while they can. Before or after Giggs I should imagine.

8 minutes ago, VCK said:

I'm not a massive Muse fan but them not playing New Born at Glastonbury last year was just not acceptable.

They haven't played it very often for a while now. Obviously too good a song for them to bother playing.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure they've held acts back for after Slam Dunk before. I was expecting a blank space when the poster came down but obviously the special guests tag works the same.

I've got a feeling that they might be holding off Rag'n'Bone Man until after Live at Leeds as well. I know they've got dozens of LAL acts at the fest but he's a headliner, I suppose. Would be incredibly odd for neither one of V or R+L to not get their hands all over the latest flash in the pan while they can. Before or after Giggs I should imagine.

Architects already being 5th down is one of the reasons I'm not sure whether to still expect a sub or 3rd down to be announced. Feel like subbing NME below YMAS is probably the most realistic slot left for him. Who the fuck is Tory Lanez, anyway? Then again I said they probably wouldn't have given Blossoms a logo if they were gonna eventually shove em down into the non-logo acts, so could probs say the same about Tory Lanez.

35 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

They haven't played it very often for a while now. Obviously too good a song for them to bother playing.

Architects already being 5th down is one of the reasons I'm not sure whether to still expect a sub or 3rd down to be announced. Feel like subbing NME below YMAS is probably the most realistic slot left for him. Who the fuck is Tory Lanez, anyway? Then again I said they probably wouldn't have given Blossoms a logo if they were gonna eventually shove em down into the non-logo acts, so could probs say the same about Tory Lanez.

I'm sure Architects could be sixth down at R+L, despite their temperature.

29 minutes ago, manchestermusicreview said:

Who would be likely to be down for a secret set? Royal Blood being absent is something I cannot fathom, so perhaps it'll be them... then there's the question of space on the lineup...

There's space NME Friday and FR Saturday, depending on who the act would be. Obviously Royal Blood would wanna be the former.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'm sure Architects could be sixth down at R+L, despite their temperature.

There's space NME Friday and FR Saturday, depending on who the act would be. Obviously Royal Blood would wanna be the former.

how do the secret sets get announced? Reading Twitter Page?/