2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, VCK said:

In terms of being a household name, he's in a different stratosphere to them.

Love them or hate them, but Oasis were a phenomenon. The closest we've had to something like that since was Arctic Monkeys.

Aye, Oasis, not Liam Gallagher solo. He may be a bigger celebrity than SOAD, but he hasn't even released a pissing album. There's literally nothing backing his solo act up as being good right now, either live or on record.

58 minutes ago, VCK said:

Ah yeah, forgot about SOAD. But really he's an even bigger name than either them or Pulp.

Paramore weren't quite at the level they are now in 2012. No new material since their 2010 appearance.

EDIT: Fuck all y'all for downvoting me on my last post.

Paramore aren't bigger now than they were in 2012, and them getting a co-headline spot in 2013 doesn't change my opinion on that.

54 minutes ago, VCK said:

In terms of being a household name, he's in a different stratosphere to them.

Love them or hate them, but Oasis were a phenomenon. The closest we've had to something like that since was Arctic Monkeys.

You are getting a bit mistaken here man for Oasis. Them as a band yes but as a solo act that hasn't released a record yet and flopped that much as his 1st attempt at music outside of Oasis that he stopped isn't justifying the claim. 

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Yes. Yes they are. 

No, they aren't, not at all. They sold ridiculously better before now. Maybe not the best person to argue about people though, some of us believe Don Broco are the next big thing and they are getting still mid main stage at best and Creeper are going to sub headline next year!

11 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

No, they aren't, not at all. They sold ridiculously better before now. Maybe not the best person to argue about people though, some of us believe Don Broco are the next big thing and they are getting still mid main stage at best and Creeper are going to sub headline next year!

Fuck off, you dweeb.

Don Broco are a mid Main Stage band and I've never said any different. Nor have I ever said Creeper will sub. 

Stupid man. 

Edited by Andre91

Paramore are definitely bigger now than they were in 2012, but it's hard to argue either point with them not having released anything in four years. Their last album did very well though - not like they're falling off or anything, and the next album will do very well as well.

From that leeds clashfinder I have something like this

VANT > X Ambassadors > Fickle Friends > Against The Current > Matrix & Futurebound b2b Loadstar > Architects > Will Joseph Cook > They. > Milky Chance > Phantogram > Bishop Briggs > Mura Masa > Muse

The Amazons > Metrik > Circa Waves > Oh Wonder > JEW > TDCC > Sub Focus > Dillon Francis > Billy Talent

Moose Blood > The Pretty Reckless > PVRIS > Becky Hill > Marmozets > Delta Heavy > Sundara Karma > EDEN > Glass Animals > Noisia > Flume

Although I feel as though Muse day is the weakest day, all the acts I wanna see have little/no overlap according to the clashfinder.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Paramore aren't bigger now than they were in 2012, and them getting a co-headline spot in 2013 doesn't change my opinion on that.

You are getting a bit mistaken here man for Oasis. Them as a band yes but as a solo act that hasn't released a record yet and flopped that much as his 1st attempt at music outside of Oasis that he stopped isn't justifying the claim. 

If Dave Grohl went solo he would sub as well (regardless of solo success) because he is a big name. What someone has done before has huge influence on their pulling power.

I pretty much stopped listening to new music 10 years ago, so don't know many of the names. I suspect if the line up looks weaker it's partially because indie/rock isn't as commercially successful as my peak years 97-07.

21 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If Dave Grohl went solo he would sub as well (regardless of solo success) because he is a big name. What someone has done before has huge influence on their pulling power.

I'm not sure it works like that - it's not like The Last Shadow Puppets headlined everywhere they played last summer, they played slots in line with the commercial and critical merits of the couple of albums they've put out under that project. Also, Dave Grohl writes more or less every Foo Fighters song, so it could reasonably be assumed that his solo stuff would be broadly identical in quality to a Foo Fighters record. Whereas Liam only wrote a handful of Oasis' tracks, so expecting his solo material to be anything worth writing home about would be illogicAL.

Obviously if someone was in a huge band 20 years ago people will be interested in their solo stuff, the issue is that it seems to be being assumed that it's going to be any good, whereas the majority of actual existing evidence indicates the opposite. You sure as hell shouldn't be getting festival slots as big as that before you've released a note of solo material. If Liam puts out his album next week and it's as shocking as any rational person expects it to be, that sub spot is going to be a bloody funeral.

Edited by Zac Quinn

37 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I'm not sure it works like that - it's not like The Last Shadow Puppets headlined everywhere they played .

Nobody in that band is close to being as famous as Liam Gallagher.

39 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Also, Dave Grohl writes more or less every Foo Fighters song, so it could reasonably be assumed that his solo stuff would be broadly identical in quality to a Foo Fighters record. Whereas Liam only wrote a handful of Oasis' tracks, so expecting his solo material to be anything worth writing .

I would say quality (however you quantify that)is fairly low down the list of factors that determine where an act is positioned.

41 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

the issue is that it seems to be being assumed that it's going to be any good, whereas the majority of actual existing evidence indicates the opposite.

I would argue that many acts have been given good slots on the back of mediocre work.

43 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

If Liam puts out his album next week and it's as shocking as any rational person expects it to be, that sub spot is going to be a bloody funeral.

The reality is all he has to do is play an oasis song, the crowd will be in the palm of his hand.

Agree with all that, third down would probably be a slightly better fit but he'll sell just as many tickets in that demographic as most other realistic alternatives. I'm also expecting his record to not be that good, but it doesn't matter if he's playing Oasis tunes. Even one track of theirs will go down a storm and regardless of who wrote them, Liam sang the majority, so it'll be about as close to an Oasis reunion we're gonna get for a while, possibly ever. I'd happily sit through any shit he puts out if I'm gonna here some classics.

That's why I think the top of that day is actually strong. Blossoms apart from being a fantastic band that I really rate, are an exciting choice because we're seeing new blood working their way up a major festival, and it's absolutely deserved. Then you have Muse, one of the best live bands in the world, to finish it all off. As I said before as well, Giggs, The Sherlocks and Sløtface make it a strong day overall. For me and my group anyway, which in reality is obviously all I actually care about.

Pond are also a good addition, and there's more to come as well I'd imagine.

In terms of the other days, obviously the headliners speak for themselves, and the undercard isn't bad. As shit as Korn and Bastille both are, they'll both draw a decent crowd (2000s scene kids who want the nostalgia of Korn and Eminem, and the casual radio listener who wants to here Bastille's hits). For me, Major Lazer will be fun and TDCC is a great addition seeing as a lot of people (myself included) made the obvious choice of RHCP over them last year (not something I regret, but I would like to see TDCC). Circa Waves and Rat Boy and then PVRIS and The Pretty Reckless make for a fairly strong main stage imo. The NME is great on the Eminem as well, I'd like to try and see Glass Animals, Everything Everything and Sundaes Karma (clashes permitting), and then Frank Carter, Marmozets, CABBAGE and INHEAVEN are fantastic additions. That's about as far as I tend to venture stage-wise, but there are some really good acts elsewhere with The Amazons, The Japanese House, Superfood, Paris Youth Foundation and Will Joseph Cook popping up on the FR. Throw in a decent alternative stage lineup and honestly the weekend has loads to offer.

Edited by thelemon

9 hours ago, Twice said:

I actually burst out laughing when I saw that the Hunna were headlining FR. If you're if you're not interested in seeing Muse I really can't imagine many people picking the Hunna over Haim haha.

The Hunna packed out the FR last year. I would certainly choose them over Haim given that choice (I shall be watching Muse though obv)

13 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Agree with all that, third down would probably be a slightly better fit but he'll sell just as many tickets in that demographic as most other realistic alternatives. I'm also expecting his record to not be that good, but it doesn't matter if he's playing Oasis tunes. Even one track of theirs will go down a storm and regardless of who wrote them, Liam sang the majority, so it'll be about as close to an Oasis reunion we're gonna get for a while, possibly ever. I'd happily sit through any shit he puts out if I'm gonna here some classics..

The actual full Oasis didnt even go down a storm when they played back in 2001 or whenever it was.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Same as Damon Albarn really.

1 minute ago, Benj said:

The actual full Oasis didnt even go down a storm when they played back in 2001 or whenever it was.

Neither did The Stone Roses in 96 and the hype if they were headlining would be crazy. Same with Arctic Monkeys in 2009. I wasn't there but I've heard a lot of people weren't blown away. Take them away for a few years and everything changes. The world is waiting for an Oasis reunion, this will probably do for now, it's better than nowt.

On the Hunna, I think it's a refreshing booking compared to the usual dried up FR headliners. They won't draw more than HAIM obviously but I think they'll take a fair portion of their crowd considering their size. I'd choose them over HAIM as well (although not over Muse) because I might not be a big fan but they do have some good tunes and I always found HAIM to be a bit underwhelming. I actually think that the weakest part of this lineup is the NME top line. Flume is a good option for the Eminem day but I think YMAS will draw a tiny crowd and I think HAIM will draw an even smaller one. Tory Lanez is an odd one as well, can't see too much crossover between him and YMAS and I find it weird how the festival is pushing Halsey seeing as I don't think she's at all suited to the demographic. Maybe she'll prove me wrong though, especially if she plays that Chainsmokers track. The headliners are really solid across the board (not a huge fan of WSS or Billy Talent but they're good bookings), especially Bugzy and Fatboy Slim, but YMAS and HAIM are probably the weakest out of all of the "big" places for me. And that's not just taste, I genuinely don't think they'll draw particularly big crowds.