2017 festival

kaosmark2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Gorillas aren't gonna headline Reading/Leeds. the crowd would be uninterested and they're far more suited to a slightly smaller fest like Latitude, Bestival etc

Gorillaz could easily headline Reading, they'd actually be a pretty decent sized headliner too. Also I see no reason why the crowd would be uninterested by them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently the CoS guy who's been leaking the LCD Soundsystem news has said Arcade Fire are accepting offers for 2017 festivals. If so I could see them at R&L along with Kasabian, if they don't mind repeating Glasto '14. Biffy as well, if they don't do this year. Would be a solid trio without either a weak headliner or a huge one.

If Biffy do this year then I dunno who I'd say as a final headliner. Muse if they're still touring? Royal Blood if album #2 bangs (maybe in a co-headline)? Green Day?

32 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Apparently the CoS guy who's been leaking the LCD Soundsystem news has said Arcade Fire are accepting offers for 2017 festivals. If so I could see them at R&L along with Kasabian, if they don't mind repeating Glasto '14. Biffy as well, if they don't do this year. Would be a solid trio without either a weak headliner or a huge one.

If Biffy do this year then I dunno who I'd say as a final headliner. Muse if they're still touring? Royal Blood if album #2 bangs (maybe in a co-headline)? Green Day?

Foo Fighters seem a decent shout if them doing Glastonbury this year turns out to be true, although I still think Glastonbury next year is more likely for them. Could maybe see Alt-J headlining too if they have an album out. Does anyone know how well their arena tour sold?

18 minutes ago, Shaun182 said:

There's a new headliner at reading every year, if it's Arcade fire, Kasabian and Biffy where are the new headliner?

I guess if AF don't play I could see Royal Blood headlining if there 2nd album is as well received as the first. If they're sticking with co-headliners I'd love to see someone like Vampire Weekend or The Prodigy, or go for someone unexpected like System of a Down. My heart says that if R&L could potentially spunk a load of cash getting Guns N' Roses they could do that same for Daft Punk if they do a Alive 2017, won't happen tho.

23 hours ago, jump said:

Ah precedent, just like no co-headliners, metal Sunday and all the other things that will last forever and ever.

except this is empirically valid

if, since 2005, there has been a new headliner every year, it is safe to assume there will probably be a new headliner next year

it isn't subjective, it isn't down to taste, new headliner means something 

unlike "metal sunday" (which had no empirical basis) or no co-headliners (which was an unusual case of broken precedent)

46 minutes ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

if, since 2005, there has been a new headliner every year, it is safe to assume there will probably be a new headliner next year

unlike "metal sunday" (which had no empirical basis) or no co-headliners (which was an unusual case of broken precedent)

Well the orginal comment was there's a new headliner every year at Reading which is 100% factually wrong. As for your smartened up gazza talk of patterns/empirical analysis it still doesn't change it's not a guarantee only a probable assumpation which I do agree with but if FR have the opportunity to get 3 popular but repeat headliners I bet they'd take it and not worry about breaking the status quo which wouldn't even be the first time.

Edited by jump

35 minutes ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

In short, yes you're correct, it's very likely.

22 minutes ago, jump said:

Well the orginal comment was there's a new headliner every year at Reading which is 100% factually wrong. As for your smartened up gazza talk of patterns/empirical analysis it still doesn't change it's not a guarantee only a probable assumpation which I do agree with but if FR have the opportunity to get 3 popular but repeat headliners I bet they'd take it and not worry about breaking the status quo which wouldn't even be the first time.

The original comment clearly wasn't factual and I see no reason to assume it was meant to be - referring to Reading pre 2007 is pretty pointless in terms of trends etc. 

I didn't say it was a guarantee, baby. I said there was a decade of precedent. 

11 hours ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

The original comment clearly wasn't factual and I see no reason to assume it was meant to be - referring to Reading pre 2007 is pretty pointless in terms of trends etc. 

I didn't say it was a guarantee, baby. I said there was a decade of precedent. 

As any good journo would know the use of words like every year makes it a definitive statement rather than a telling impression like with they seem to prefer new headliners or recently they book new headliners which would allow for backtracking or wiggle room in what was meant.

Ah good, so it's agreed it's not guaranteed there will be new headliners despite the patterns.

2017 I'll predict Biffy Clyro, The Killers and Avenged Sevenfold. I think The Killers are bound to be about that summer, just a case of which UK festival(s) they play. Surely they can't play V again...

Maybe if there's always a new headliner, Kendrick Lamar? I know he's headlining Benicassim but that would be his first UK headline slot. Or perhaps The Black Keys. Just random guesses this far in advance really!

Edited by Odessa
Longer comment

4 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Yeah they can and hopefully they will be there and not at R&L

Nah they're long overdue another go headlining R&L. Haven't done it since 2008 and they've had 2 more albums since. On the whole those albums split opinion (they're defo weaker than the first two), but there's nothing wrong with the songs they play live off them. And should be a fifth album by then too. They'd get a bigger crowd than any of 2015's headliners (obviously they're not as big as Metallica but I'd say they're more suited to the festival's audience these days).