Arena open times

gleem

I just noticed the arena is open until 4am everyday. Why is this? As far as I remember from 2013 nothing happens in the arena at reading after the headliners, or am I wrong?

while 4am may be new - its well over ten years ago since they changed their policy at Reading.

I started working there in 1989 and all though out the 90's the plan was to clear the arena as soon as possible - that was one of the main reason why fights broke out and there was one year that stands out when it really did kick off between the Punters and Security { but I cant recall the year } - anyway it did force the promoter to rethink the whole policy over clearing the arena - now I dont know what was listed but I do know from that year Security were told to back off and only clear the arena far later - In the back of my head it was something like 2am and its been like that for a good ten years - I am not sure of the dates as its been over ten years since I last worked in the arena so never really paid much attention to it as the last thing I would be doing is hanging about within the arena.

Alternative Stage and the film tent in the 1Xtra go quite late don't they?

I've been in the Alternative stage until at least 2am before.

They had the "swap shop" where you take your clothes off & throw them on stage & Oxfam people dressed up in fancy dress swap them for  second hand clothes so you end up wearing some random stuff.

46551_457403354742_4857760_n.jpg

46551_457403359742_5501636_n.jpgThen Goldierocks did a DJ set followed by a woman dressed in a spaceman outfit coming out on stage to do a burlesque striptease. Was an awesome night.

5812_126307489742_7997077_n.jpg

There was also this guy...

46551_457403349742_672587_n.jpg

Edited by Couchy

Does anyone know where the day ticket entrance is this year? It can't just be the green entrance surely because that'd mean I'd have to walk right round the site.

Yup it's there, they're putting a new day ticket gate next to the green camping gate. 

They've updated the map: 

reading_2015_sitemap.png

Edited by MattDavies__

Not been for years but was looking at the map and saw Supermarket? Has this been around a while? I'm coming on the train so dont want to carry it from yorkshire and was intending to walk up to Tesco or something once i arrive to stock up on booze and food, is this on site supermarket any good? What sort of stuff does it sell?

That 'new' green entrance has always been there hasn't it? Or is what's new the fact that its now for day trippers, which was previously via red??

Edit in fact they may have simply pushed it further up the river, as Im sure you could go down cow lane previously

Booooooooooo

Edited by Benj

No, it seems it is the same as last year but has deffo been pushed up since 09

14-http://i1.getreading.co.uk/incoming/article7641925.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Reading-2014_Sitemap_15-01-01-1.jpg

Looks like it was changed in 2013 as-

12- http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qJbPZbwt63Q/UDylZ-WQdrI/AAAAAAAAAcU/O8xy3mztVcU/s1600/264879_10150965423985738_1457156263_n.jpg

is where it used to be

The site now states - 

THINGS TO REMEMBER

There’s no camping with Day Tickets. You will not be allowed into any campsite. Security will be checking wristbands at entrances to all campsites.

The Green Day Gate opens at 9:30am. The arena closes at 4:00am each night.

http://www.readingfestival.com/news/important-info-all-day-ticket-holders

This is bound to catch a fair few people out!

Its hard to see how they can enforce this though considering you have to walk through Green to get in and out 

Those looking to head back to the Green Car Park need to head down Cow Lane to the left of the exit to walk or get a boat, or go through Arena Entrance One back to the Green Entrance Gate

Edited by Benj