FGW Train Strike

when the bids were sorted out the new operator offered far more { a huge extra sum } and in fact we are puzzled as to how they will be able to make a trading profit so it will be interesting to see how they are able to cut corners unless they plan to hike up the bar price.

please let me know how you get on and try to get a shot of the bar prices.

Yeah, that all sounds a bit odd. This will be my 10th Reading and I don't ever recall waiting more than a couple of minutes for a beer. Bars seem very slick and the staff are generally really friendly.

Felt like real progress when the ale bar appeared a couple of years ago, too.

Real shame for the WBC - with such a long relationship, you'd think money wouldn't talk quite so much. (Who am I kidding? This is Festival Republic after all!)

Will let you know how we get on. Be interesting to see what's different…

Yeah, that all sounds a bit odd. This will be my 10th Reading and I don't ever recall waiting more than a couple of minutes for a beer. Bars seem very slick and the staff are generally really friendly.

Felt like real progress when the ale bar appeared a couple of years ago, too.

Real shame for the WBC - with such a long relationship, you'd think money wouldn't talk quite so much. (Who am I kidding? This is Festival Republic after all!)

Will let you know how we get on. Be interesting to see what's different…

I know that most people think the bars earn a fortune but there is so many factors that has to be taking into account and its very easy to make a trading loss - The WBC was not willing to pay the higher license fee and they don't think its commercial viable any longer - they would have had to reduce staffing levels and they were not willing to do that - the new deal is for three years - well that is the plan but Barcode etc etc may regret taking on that contract - only time will tell.    

Over the years its what happens out of sight that has had a major impact to the bars - each venue is unique so the bar set up at Glastonbury is different than Reading mainly due to access and promoter constraints - I know some people will assume they are just laid out in a general fashion when in fact the actual design has been tweaked over the years to improve things - The WBC use large tankers in most of the bars but it was not long before we discovered that the standard gas mix that worked fine with Kegs  caused all sorts of problems when connected to a tanker so they work using a different mix. 

Bar layout is a important factor as is staffing levels - the WBC will always have 20% extra volunteers than is required to cover illness and a unexpected rush on a specific bar - so staffing levels will change on demand.

For a new operator I would be highly surprised that they can slot in using staff that  are complete strangers to each other so time will tell.

For sure the WBC will will use some volunteers who have never worked behind a bar but due to the Team system their Team leader will look after them until they get used to the system - I would always stay with them until I was confident they were able to cope and I would make certain the rest of the Team kept a eye on them - I would also make certain that line Managers were aware if I was using a new volunteer - it would be very rare if I slotted in a new volunteer for Reading as its the most tricky event we used to work at each year and really its not the place to be working at if you are not confident behind a bar.

it was a gamble to include Real Ale as it was not thought that such a young crowd would be all that interested - 

I don't have a clue if Barcode etc etc will even have real ale as it does require experienced staff to look after it. Going by the current map that bar that was there is no longer there { the one between the BBC and NME Stage }

will be interested to read your feedback.

I don't have a clue if Barcode etc etc will even have real ale as it does require experienced staff to look after it. Going by the current map that bar that was there is no longer there { the one between the BBC and NME Stage }

will be interested to read your feedback.

Yup, looks like at best there will be one less bar, which will increase demand elsewhere and also increase commute time to the bar!

This is not good news.

Edit- hang on it seems 'Lord Somersby's Manor' is now where the bar used to be between the NME and Dance tent, I suspect this may be a real ale type gaff.

Edit Edit- Actually its going to be a Sommersby Cider gaff isnt it, perhaps a replacement for 'Tubourg Town'. Hopefully it will serve all drinks whatever it is!

Edited by Benj

It's selling all the different fruity ciders I know that much, they had it wireless but I didn't go there so I don't know if they sold other stuff, I'd suspect not.

What was the beer there, as I assume Reading will have the same too, Tubourg?

There is an article re the 'Manor' on the site, does look like a Tubourg Town replacement gaff in addition to the cider- http://www.readingfestival.com/news/visit-lord-somersbys-manor

Edited by Benj

Yup, looks like at best there will be one less bar, which will increase demand elsewhere and also increase commute time to the bar!

This is not good news.

Edit- hang on it seems 'Lord Somersby's Manor' is now where the bar used to be between the NME and Dance tent, I suspect this may be a real ale type gaff.

Edit Edit- Actually its going to be a Sommersby Cider gaff isnt it, perhaps a replacement for 'Tubourg Town'. Hopefully it will serve all drinks whatever it is!

its Complicated.

There is a current Lager and Cider contract - Real Ale was a separate contract ' within a contract ' that was introduced by the WBC so that went out the window when the WBC bid was not accepted and unless they { Barcode Recruitment } have sorted out a second contract I doubt they will bother.

Make no mistake ' it does not matter what the outside bar is called ' it will be staffed by Barcode Recruitment etc etc { I am using the etc etc because I did hear a second Company was involved although I am unsure the percentage }

I don't have a clue what they will be selling apart from the lager and cider all I know is they have no experience of Reading or Leeds so they will be looking for the least hassle free setup so dont expect all that much.

So that train strike eh?

Bar queues are more important than Train queues man!

The situation on the Monday AM may well be very grim though if only SW are running into London.

I have to get to Heathrow, was just planning on a train to Feltham and then bus from there, I suspect there are better direct options via bus anyway though, I'll look into them properly now, as I'd rather spend the AM sitting at the airport than queuing outside the station 

Bar queues are more important than Train queues man!

The situation on the Monday AM may well be very grim though if only SW are running into London.

I have to get to Heathrow, was just planning on a train to Feltham and then bus from there, I suspect there are better direct options via bus anyway though, I'll look into them properly now, as I'd rather spend the AM sitting at the airport than queuing outside the station 

Take the bus direct from outside the main station to Heathrow I would say.