Lollapalooza Berlin

RossTC

Yeah, just booked flights and tickets for this yesterday too (still hunting decent location to stay). Line up is pretty good, bar Saturday headliners for my tastes, but mainly using it as an excuse to visit Berlin really. Gutted that Tame Impala and Muse clash on the Sunday though :(

Oh in case you didn't know the original American version is streaming its sets online all this weekend: http://www.lollapaloozade.com/en/

Yeah, just booked flights and tickets for this yesterday too (still hunting decent location to stay). Line up is pretty good, bar Saturday headliners for my tastes, but mainly using it as an excuse to visit Berlin really. Gutted that Tame Impala and Muse clash on the Sunday though :(

Oh in case you didn't know the original American version is streaming its sets online all this weekend: http://www.lollapaloozade.com/en/

Yeah saw some of the vids, looked brilliant!

How long are you going for? What other plans in do you have for when your there?

I bought tickets for this when it was first announced they were going to hold a Lollapalooza festival in Europe, before they announced the line up. When they did announce the bands, I don't think I've been so underwhelmed by a festival line up, ever. There's two bands I'm interested in seeing, over the whole weekend! I'm just happy it's in a city like Berlin, as I think I'll be spending more time in the city than at the actual festival!

• 1 month later...

Glad others enjoyed it. I wasn't blown away and not sure I'd go back a second time, unless the line up was much more to my taste. I don't think the line up helped my experience, as there was very little that interested me. The festival was ok and the setting on the old airport was pretty cool. That said, after the second day of standing/walking on the concrete ground, my feet were pretty sore! But, I guess if it had rained, it would have meant no mud!

Not quite sure what happened on the first day, with the toilets, but there were massive queues. They did get more toilets in for the second day, which seemed to sort this out, but it looked like they were having plumbing issues as there seemed to be streams of stinky piss flowing out of the toilets, across the site!

There seemed to be massive queues for the food stalls on the first day too. We ended up going out of the festival and walking up the road to a supermarket, to get something to eat! Again, this seemed to be a little better on the second day, although I'm not sure why as it didn't look like they had more stalls. Maybe people just ate at different times to avoid the queues?

The cashless system seemed to work pretty well, after yet more queues when first entering the festival and getting your wristband - I heard someone call the festival 'Lollapa-queue-za'! The only downside I found was that although you could top up your money on the phone app, I couldn't get any phone or 3G signal inside the festival!

I think the festival has potential and I guess there was always going to be teething problems at the first one. They need to sort out the toilet and food stall queues (although, as said before, they did get better on the second day). The site is a great location. I don't know whether there's scope to increase the size of the festival though, as there was a bit of noise bleed between stages - watching Tame Impala on the alternative stage, we could hear Muse whenever there was a quieter bit.

All in all, I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 (maybe a little harsh, but I really wasn't impressed by the line-up!), but it definitely has potential to improve if they learn from experience.