Chaos.

devilman

We've been thru this before. Instead of following the trends it got stuck at indie landfill, and realised too late that things had moved on. So it made a bit of a big leap to move on.

Even Reading/Leeds has moved on from indie landfill to a large extent.

The problem for those like you is that the indie landfill was your sort of thing and today's EDM isn't. You'd get pretty much the same reaction if you offered one of today's EDM kids that indie line-up of yesteryear.

There's a few other issues around it all too tho, which festies are yet to get to grips with. They're not doing the best job they could with their bookings at the mo, but they are in the right ball-park.

Fashions come and go, so it might not be till the next musical change that contemporary festies pick up again, or they might never pick back up at all. Maybe the image of dinosaur-band headliners is killing off the attractiveness to 'the kids', or maybe it's becoming what old people do.

Quick question. What sort of music are you into?

Do you think the suggestion to have a 6music stage is feasible? Some are suggesting that maybe a new festival could be started up. Rather than all the pollaver of a new site and building up a new festival just have a tent or stage with the kind of acts you hear on 6music. I'm not too bothered about edm and pop as long as there is something that will interest me at T. It's the least I expect for £200.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true how come an EDM DJ hasn't headlined Glastonbury yet? or are they behind the times too.

Oh, Glastonbury is waaay behind the times on this angle, but slowly getting there all the same. 

Glastonbury is a completely different beast to T tho, there's not a lot of useful mileage in making comparisons.

It feels more like DF have been consciously trying to cut corners ever since losing their partnership with Oxygen festival by reducing the number of acts, stages and focusing more on pop acts and DJs while charging increased prices. I mean 2011 had a lot of what could be considered indie landfill but still sold out so I'm not sure it was something they need to move on from.

I guess the loss of Oxegen has hit costs, tho all festivals continually out-strip inflation, not just T. I wouldn't say it's pricing was particularly out of step with its place in the market.

As for the last bit, it all depends on how T sees itself. Is it 'a contemporary music festival' or is it something more niche?

I first went in 2000. All Saints were on the bill (miming, too). That's as much w*nky pop in its own time as anything being put on today.

Edited by eFestivals

Quick question. What sort of music are you into?

Very little that's ever been put on at T, either now or in the days some are looking back on fondly.

But try not to think anything of that, as I'm trying to give an objective view from what i know of the festivals marketplace and music and fashions and stuff. I might be wrong with what I say, but I don't feel the position I'm taking is driven by my own music tastes.

Do you think the suggestion to have a 6music stage is feasible? Some are suggesting that maybe a new festival could be started up. Rather than all the pollaver of a new site and building up a new festival just have a tent or stage with the kind of acts you hear on 6music. I'm not too bothered about edm and pop as long as there is something that will interest me at T. It's the least I expect for £200.

There's no real need for a specifically '6music stage'. If they want that sort of music they only need to book it.

As for whether another festival is feasible, i'm not sure. Scotland has has its failures (Connect, Rockness, Loch Lomond, etc) as well as successes on the big-ish festival front.

My own take is that T sees itself as a contemporary music fest, and doesn't want to get stuck in the rut that something like a 6music music stage could cause. While it might be struggling at the mo, it's long term salvation is more likely to come from an uptake again with the next musical wave than it is from getting stuck in a rut.

If this is true how come an EDM DJ hasn't headlined Glastonbury yet?

Because Glastonbury can pull big headliners & then have any massive EDM on the Other stage.

Plus it sells out without any acts being announced so it doesn't really matter who they book to headline.

Edited by Couchy

Thanks for the quick reply.

Another quick question. Do you listen to 6music or have you listened to 6music? It plays fresh good new music as well as genuine classics from rock, indie, reggae, ska, punk, northern soul, motown etc. I don't there's any chance of any ruts being entered. Apologies if that sounded patronising. It doesn't mean to

I've attached a link to their current playlist. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/playlist

Do you listen to 6music or have you listened to 6music? It plays fresh good new music as well as genuine classics from rock, indie, reggae, ska, punk, northern soul, motown etc. I don't there's any chance of any ruts being entered. Apologies if that sounded patronising. It doesn't mean to

Yes, I listen to 6music as my choice of station, but ... PMSL. :lol:

Well you guys are a bunch of depressing a**holes. I'd forgotten how much "know it all" chat went on in here. And so much exaggeration about some of the issues that happened over the course of the weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed myself but that's maybe because it is what you make it whereas you guys are all half empty kind of guys. Will definitely be back next year.

I've never pretended to know it all but that site is a utter disgrace and if it's held there next year you can kiss healthy ticket sales bye bye.

I know people who couldn't be arsed with the walk from the campsite to the arena so they were missing bands,sounds great Eh,,

Yes, I listen to 6music as my choice of station, but ... PMSL. :lol:

Neil, whilst you're on this thread, do you know if DFS lost any high up staff? Or if the plans had to get changed last minute due to the ospreys?

Just T in the Park (whilst it has it's flaws) has been pretty well organised the previous times I've been, but this time it felt like they'd made a lot of school boy errors. I know its a new site but it almost felt like this was the first festival they'd ever organised and they'd completely under estimated what was required.

Neil, whilst you're on this thread, do you know if DFS lost any high up staff? Or if the plans had to get changed last minute due to the ospreys?

Just T in the Park (whilst it has it's flaws) has been pretty well organised the previous times I've been, but this time it felt like they'd made a lot of school boy errors. I know its a new site but it almost felt like this was the first festival they'd ever organised and they'd completely under estimated what was required.

The arena layout had to be changed because of the Ospreys. The pinch point at cocktail cocktail was a result of the exclusion zone they had to set up for the birds, there was a rather large area behind the cocktail bar that couldn't be used but it was originally intended to be.

I'll start off by saying i had a really good time at the weekend but that was a lot down to making of it what i could and just getting on with it. Something i shouldn't need to do, though. 

One of the biggest jokes was Be Chilled. Why have it placed outwith the campsite when its a campsite service!? It was right in the middle of the campsite at Balado - where it should be. 

Why was the massive green space between the entrance and red kind of area not used but instead everyone had to carefully go down an incredibly muddy and dangerous hill? 

The walk from Red 3 where i was camped to the arena was so bad you had to decide whether it was worth spending the rest of the day in the arena or not - going back and forth just wasn't an option really. 

Worst of all has to be the infrastructure to the place though. Getting to the actual site was bad - tiny one way roads is just not good for 50 seater buses for a start. Nevermind no pathways etc.  

I'll start off by saying i had a really good time at the weekend but that was a lot down to making of it what i could and just getting on with it. Something i shouldn't need to do, though.

One of the biggest jokes was Be Chilled. Why have it placed outwith the campsite when its a campsite service!? It was right in the middle of the campsite at Balado - where it should be.

Why was the massive green space between the entrance and red kind of area not used but instead everyone had to carefully go down an incredibly muddy and dangerous hill?

The walk from Red 3 where i was camped to the arena was so bad you had to decide whether it was worth spending the rest of the day in the arena or not - going back and forth just wasn't an option really.

Worst of all has to be the infrastructure to the place though. Getting to the actual site was bad - tiny one way roads is just not good for 50 seater buses for a start. Nevermind no pathways etc.

I agree that the Campsite Village seemed poorly placed. The hill was a pain too, but I didn't see a single person fall when going up or down it and there were similar hills at Balado.

I always camped at Blue 2/3 in Balado and the walk to the arena was about the same distance, if not longer.

The arena layout had to be changed because of the Ospreys. The pinch point at cocktail cocktail was a result of the exclusion zone they had to set up for the birds, there was a rather large area behind the cocktail bar that couldn't be used but it was originally intended to be.

Cheers for explanation, makes sense.

Still wonder why the hell the day ticket entrance was next to a road as that also caused chaos

Still so many dodgy issues there should have been clear options over. Just don't get it. G Ellis and co should be loaded with a weekend's load of stuff and made to hike in to the campsites, Then up and down a couple of times a day from the arena!! ;-)

Edited by kezzawizz

Still so many dodgy issues there should have been clear options over. Just don't get it. G Ellis and co should be loaded with a weekend's load of stuff and made to hike in to the campsites, Then up and down a couple of times a day from the arena!! ;-)

I see some of you never bothered to attend Connect, the festival in Scotland that had the sorts of acts some say that T needs to have to be successful, the festival that failed. :lol:

I see some of you never bothered to attend Connect, the festival in Scotland that had the sorts of acts some say that T needs to have to be successful, the festival that failed. :lol:

I loved Connect. The line-up was really good and the setting was beautiful. I don't know why it failed. It was at the end of August, maybe just too late in the year for a festival in Scotland?

I loved Connect. The line-up was really good and the setting was beautiful. I don't know why it failed. It was at the end of August, maybe just too late in the year for a festival in Scotland?

there's all sorts of different reasons but they ultimately come down to this....

Scotland just doesn't have of an interested-enough population &/or a large enough population to support all of the festivals that have been attempted.

Ultimately, the size of T sucks away the chances for those other events to succeed.

I can only take a guess at it from down here (England), but I'd say that the Scottish population would far rather have that one large event which can attract the very biggest acts and gets noticed in the wider world than it would a number of smaller events that wouldn't attract those very large acts and wouldn't be noticed in the wider world.

It's all a consequence of the size of the market in Scotland, which is a consequence of population size.

Connect failed because of a disastrous weather year and because it was attracting acts that were the same genre as T were booking at the time. It would be different now. Having said that there are a lot more grown up festivals about now which might have taken up the slack too much to launch a connect style festival again at this time.

That's why I suggested a portion of T that concentrates on the kind of bands Connect booked. Connect was a DF festival IIRC. It surely makes sense rather than re-invent the wheel by trying to get a brand new festival off the ground.

the problem with that is that T becoming about the oldies will dilute what T is to the youngers.

There's just not the population for T to work in a similar way to how Glastonbury does,

I wasn't there this year but from what I've read the site is smaller than Balado.

Is there enough room to put additional stages on to have a sort of 6 music stage or as was previous there the pet sounds arena?

Sounds like the site struggled with 60,000 punters never mind the 80,000 or so who attended Balado a few years ago.

I don't think there is a solution that will appease all. I'm afraid T is a young persons festival now, plenty of alternatives around which cater for my tastes now, so T is no longer an alternative for myself, which is a shame as I've got so many good memories of years gone by

This is the 1st T i've missed in a good few years, and it's always been an amazing weekend I've had in Balado, just couldn't get the holidays off work to make it this year.  And to be honest, from the feedback I've seen on here and on various other outlets, I won't be making the journey to Strathallan any time soon.  Which is a shame because they had a good thing going.  And I'm sure there'll be plenty more like me aswell so you might find, especially now that over the past 2 years the amount of EDM "dj's" (I use that term VERY loosely) that get booked, that the vast majority of the crowd will be under 20 kids going to get off their faces.  I did notice that as the years went by that the atmosphere was getting more and more hyper with young kids running around drunk or on drugs.  That's got worse in the last few years.  T is definitely heading in the wrong direction but thankfully I have plenty good memories of the days before it went all Calvin Harris and Avicci.  

And proof of how the festival is now aimed at the EDM kids was perfectly illustrated last year when Elbow were on at the same time as Calvin Harris.  Probably 4 fifths of the capacity were jumping up and down to a man pressing play on his ipod, while only a small handful of us were there watching Elbow on the opposite stage, which was a bit embarrassing to be honest.  It worked nicely I thought though, turned into a nice little intimate gig away from the madness.  But that's the way T is going now unfortunately, more and more EDM as the years go by.

Edited by glendvd

I Honestly can't see why they cant have a work around at balado, surely if they made some changes to the layout and moved the stages etc the pipes wouldn't be a problem?

Unless I have totally misunderstood the pipe situation?

Either way strathallan will never be good enough no matter what they do. My missus lived in crieff and called strathallan being a shite site as soon as it was announced.

I Honestly can't see why they cant have a work around at balado, surely if they made some changes to the layout and moved the stages etc the pipes wouldn't be a problem?

Unless I have totally misunderstood the pipe situation?

Either way strathallan will never be good enough no matter what they do. My missus lived in crieff and called strathallan being a shite site as soon as it was announced.

the pipe thing is rather ridiculous.

The same pipeline goes under at least one school.