Bestival virgin - what should I expect?

Homersexual

I'm a regular Glastonbury goer and I've heard that Bestival is essentially a mini-Glasto, which is why I’m considering going this year. I have a few questions though for those that have been before:

• How much of a hassle is it to get to, coming from London?
  • What are the food and drink prices like?
  • Is camping full on the Friday?
  • Can you bring your own booze?
  • Are there late night areas?

Chars!

I can't answer your questions about traveling from London, but I drive to it from the midlands & I've never had an issue. The ferry prices can be pretty steep, but we go over Wed night when it's usually cheaper & stay on the IOW for a night beforehand.

Food & drink prices are fairly standard festival prices, a truly great selection of food available though.

The campsites closer to the 'arena' will probably be full on Friday, but you won't struggle to find a pitch as it rarely sells out & they have an over flow campsite anyway.

You can bring your own booze into the campsites & although strictly speaking you can't take it into the main stage areas I've never had any issues smuggling it in, very minimal searches.

There are brilliant late night areas everywhere, the Big Top has live music from fairly big names until around 3am too which is a big bonus as it stops overcrowding of most areas.

It isn't a 'mini-Glasto' it's Bestival & as such the best advice I can give is to treat it as an entirely different entity to Glastonbury, don't go with the attitude of comparing the two, go with attitude of embracing something new, explore the beautiful site (especially the ambient forest) & I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

For the record I actually prefer Bestival to Glastonbury, I can't quite put my finger on the reason as to why, but I always find it to be the most enjoyable festival of the season.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I prefer Bestival to Glastonbury as well, I think it's a combination of it being the last kinda party of the Summer and the fact that it almost feels like you're abroad? 

The programming is also really well done, the Port in particular (Still ranks as the best stage I've seen at a festival IMO)

I prefer Bestival to Glastonbury as well, I think it's a combination of it being the last kinda party of the Summer and the fact that it almost feels like you're abroad?

True, the weather is usually brilliant which helps the atmosphere.

I think the other advantage of it is that it encompasses a lot of the good points about Glastonbury without the over crowding, long queues & massive walks between areas.

Oh & I forgot to mention the fancy dress, people go to a hell of a lot of effort with it & it makes for a brilliant atmosphere.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I'm a regular Glastonbury goer and I've heard that Bestival is essentially a mini-Glasto, which is why I’m considering going this year. I have a few questions though for those that have been before:

• How much of a hassle is it to get to, coming from London?
  • What are the food and drink prices like?
  • Is camping full on the Friday?
  • Can you bring your own booze?
  • Are there late night areas?

Chars!

1) I dunno, it's a hassle from Liverpool but somehow ends up cheaper than getting to Glastonbury and takes roughly the same amount of time

2) as you'd expect from a festival, not quite as extortionate as Glastonbury was this year I don't reckon (£5 for 1.75lt of coke? wtf Glastonbury I'm sure it was £3 last year)

3) all the main ones were full on the Thursday but the further back ones weren't and the walk isn't that bad from then especially comparing to Glastonbury. I'd say from one of the far out camping spots to the arena is no further from Halfway up Pennards to the Pyramid stage

4) You can BUT you're limited to how much you can bring, you can bring as much as you want through the first time you come through the gates, if you go back for a second trip you're not allowed to bring anymore alcohol through, don't make the mistake of bringing your tent and shit through first and then going back for the alcohol as you won't be allowed to bring any through

5) yes quite a few but most places will be shut by 4am

It's a fantastic festival, it's no exactly a mini-glastonbury but you can see were that description comes from

Last year we went from Manchester but you could do a similar journey from Liverpool

We trained it from Manchester to London, took a tube in London from one station to another and then trained it to Southampton. We then paid for a ferry across to one of the cowes (I forget whether it was east or west) and then got a taxi from there

The train were fairly cheap, I think it was £30 return, the ferry was about £16 return and then the taxi was a fiver each way so about £50-60 quid. The trains were at specific times though hence why they were so cheap, I don't think we left the site until 6-7pm on Monday to get an 8pm train home

edit: just checked and if you book specific trains you can get £22 down to Southampton and £16 back up to Liverpool from Southampton. We got the red jet ferry over which is £16 return the website says (although I think the put the prices up slightly for Bestival weekend) so that's £60 travel but quite a bit of faffing around

orrrr you just pay for the £99 coach Placid mentioned, throw your bags on the coach, fall asleep and wake up at Bestival. It's just whether you'd rather save £40 and be carrying your bags/tents etc through the tube stations and shit

Edited by jonodillieono

Last year we went from Manchester but you could do a similar journey from Liverpool

We trained it from Manchester to London, took a tube in London from one station to another and then trained it to Southampton. We then paid for a ferry across to one of the cowes (I forget whether it was east or west) and then got a taxi from there

The train were fairly cheap, I think it was £30 return, the ferry was about £16 return and then the taxi was a fiver each way so about £50-60 quid. The trains were at specific times though hence why they were so cheap, I don't think we left the site until 6-7pm on Monday to get an 8pm train home

edit: just checked and if you book specific trains you can get £22 down to Southampton and £16 back up to Liverpool from Southampton. We got the red jet ferry over which is £16 return the website says (although I think the put the prices up slightly for Bestival weekend) so that's £60 travel but quite a bit of faffing around

orrrr you just pay for the £99 coach Placid mentioned, throw your bags on the coach, fall asleep and wake up at Bestival. It's just whether you'd rather save £40 and be carrying your bags/tents etc through the tube stations and shit

Where are you finding these train prices? TheTrainLine is showing cheapest £112 for just the outward journey

Edited by Tr234

Where are you finding these train prices? TheTrainLine is showing cheapest £112 for just the outward journey

nationalrail.co.uk

Liverpool to Southampton 10th September  10.34 is £22.45

Southampton to Liverpool 14th September  10.30 is £16.15

That is with a 16-25 railcard though I forgot to mention, without a railcard the first journey is £34 and the second journey is £24.50. If you're 16-25 I'm pretty sure a railcard is only £30 for a year and if you're making a saving of £20 on your first journey it's almost paid for itself in one go

As a foot passenger, it's about £26 return for the red funnel over festival weekends. Plus a tenner return for the shuttle bus. If you are going to drive I recommend white link from Portsmouth or Lymington. Can work out cheaper per person if you've got a full car.

Bestival is like being fired in the face by a 12-bore shotgun. It's crazy as soon as you turn up.

Plus get the train & ferry combo to Ryde Pier/Esplanade. There's sometimes a party as everyone's drinking on the train, ferry & shuttle.

Edited by Couchy