Glastonbury Toe

BA4 4BY

My boyfriend had problems with his big toes, but they weren't numb. Instead they were lifting away from the nail base and going bruised underneath - so they basically hurt like hell, and I was worried we'd lose the rest of the festival around halfway through Saturday as he really couldn't walk, every step was agony.

In the end, very strong painkillers with codeine did the trick, along with a lot of resting. But we missed loads of acts we wanted to see that day.

He was wearing wellies, but he said there was no pressure at all on his toes, no squashing anywhere so really hard to understand why it was happening. Any ideas?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No glastonbury toe for me this year strangely. I wore £8 Dunlop wellies for 5.5 days straight (with memory foam insoles) for their 6th glastonbury outgoing. I'm impressed that my feet are in prefect condition tbh. In fact physically, I'm the best I've ever been post festival. Maybe the pilates actually paid off. 

I've never heard of this before by my big toe on my right foot feels like it's dead, I wore well used walking boots with foam insoles all festival and regularly changed my socks but im really suffering 

Does anyone know a cure for this or do I just have to wait it out? 

6 minutes ago, sloseph said:

I've never heard of this before by my big toe on my right foot feels like it's dead, I wore well used walking boots with foam insoles all festival and regularly changed my socks but im really suffering 

Does anyone know a cure for this or do I just have to wait it out? 

Just need to wait it out I'm afraid. I've no idea why it happens as my wellies were really comfy - I only wore them for two days in 2015 and that year was worse! There's no rhyme nor reason... Mind took a few weeks to subside last year, am expecting the same this time.

8 hours ago, Skoo said:

My boyfriend had problems with his big toes, but they weren't numb. Instead they were lifting away from the nail base and going bruised underneath - so they basically hurt like hell, and I was worried we'd lose the rest of the festival around halfway through Saturday as he really couldn't walk, every step was agony.

In the end, very strong painkillers with codeine did the trick, along with a lot of resting. But we missed loads of acts we wanted to see that day.

He was wearing wellies, but he said there was no pressure at all on his toes, no squashing anywhere so really hard to understand why it was happening. Any ideas?

Probably the stress caused by the toes trying to grip the inside of the wellies as he was walking.  I found the very ends of my toes were affected by this but recovered very quickly.  Wore same wellies as last year when my feet got completely wrecked and I could barely walk by the Sunday,  but this year had gel insoles and proper walking socks.  That combined with the absence of hard packed mud,  and being in cv east instead of west of site so didn't have to walk miles on metal roads,  meant my feet are fine.

Mine are in way better condition than last year despite the mud. Arriving and leaving in boots but cheap wellies with gel insoles the rest of the time. 

I changed my socks every day and took them off at night to sleep. I slapped on some compeed blister patches to problem areas and carried my fold up chair most of the time to allow rests. 

I did miss Wednesday daytime wandering but found it physically much easier than last year

Wellies were donated to the drop point so I'll buy some decent ones for next year. 

On 28/06/2016 at 0:42 PM, Dave_c said:

I wore wellies with gel insoles for the whole festival and came away unscathed. Seems like I have the only pair of wellies in the world that don't destroy your feet.

Me too.  I'm quite proud of the fact that although I'm in my fifties, I don't seem to have suffered nearly as much as some much younger people.  

On 6/29/2016 at 10:19 PM, dizzymoo said:

Probably the stress caused by the toes trying to grip the inside of the wellies as he was walking.  I found the very ends of my toes were affected by this but recovered very quickly.  Wore same wellies as last year when my feet got completely wrecked and I could barely walk by the Sunday,  but this year had gel insoles and proper walking socks.  That combined with the absence of hard packed mud,  and being in cv east instead of west of site so didn't have to walk miles on metal roads,  meant my feet are fine.

Thanks for this, that makes sense. Have shared with him, and we will definitely be trying walking boots next year if we're lucky enough to get tickets.

One of the toe nails is now completely black, and the other big toe nail has gone a weird yellow/white colour underneath. If you like gross stuff, as I occasionally do, it's fascinating stuff.

all my toes are bruised and my ankles especially so, black in fact, still now. Taking off my increasingly too tight Wellies every night / crack of dawn my feet were swelling up by the day. Using one foot to hold the heel down on the other boot whilst attempting to pull my foot out resulted in my still booted foot slipping out in the mud and kicking myself sharply on the shin - resulting in very real pain. One night as witnessed by my wife, I managed to twat myself 10 times in the same shin, when I woke up I couldn't put any weight on one leg and had to spend the first 4 hours of the day with an oversized empty packet on Walkers Crisps cellotaped around my ankle as a makeshift shoe.  I am 51 and seemingly since going since 1985 I like Jon Snow, no nothing.   

Toes slowly getting better. It's my heels that are the problem. Have been suffering from awful cold since getting back to so admittedly haven't really left the flat more than 3 times since we got back (work from home) and everytime I've been out my heels are a bit hurty.

1 hour ago, JanieM28 said:

Stop poking it, then! :)

haha alright Dad :)

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Why do you have a big toe on your hand?

because I am the next evolution of the human form and my handfeet will be your demise

On 5 July 2015 at 9:08 PM, BA4 4BY said:

I thought I'd got away with it this year but on Thursday the big toe on my left foot started to go numb, although it's nowhere near as full-on as in previous years.

I wore a variety of walking shoes / walking boots / insoles / socks combinations throughout the week (no wellies), but I still don't seem to have found the answer!

Anyone else suffering with Glastonbury Toe, or if you've had it before but haven't got it this year, what did you do differently?

My big toe has gone numb too, still numb now ha

Just notice this an old thread, I'm happy that I'm not the only one. Outside half of big toe still numb but slowly improving.

Edited by 6t6o6m

Outside half of right big toe still numb..... Get it every year in the same toe without fail and doesn't matter what I do to try and stop it from happening. Wore extra comfortable padded walking socks with my walking boots this year and still just as bad. Last year I was only just getting over it by the time Leeds Festival came around, so that's a good two months.