Worthy View Review

Jamieyorkshire

not really what they look like, but yeah, I'm afraid I do judge people by whether they use the same services or think it's OK to pay for private education or private healthcare. That's a closer (albeit still imperfect) analogy, I think.

Sorry, this is utter bollocks. If you think paying an extra few quid so you don't have to carry a tent to Glastonbury is the same as paying for healthcare, you're deluded. The fact you can afford to pay to go to an expensive festival in the first place shows you're already a hundred percent luckier than most people. A closer analogy would be you having £225 to pay to go a festival and get pissed compared to someone struggling to scrape a pound together to feed their kids.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not really what they look like, but yeah, I'm afraid I do judge people by whether they use the same services or think it's OK to pay for private education or private healthcare. That's a closer (albeit still imperfect) analogy, I think.

Also I'm bald so you can't tell whether my hair is clean or not. HA! Now how will you judge me?

I've emailed the young greens about this but I'd like to volunteer for next year

they'll reject you cos of your age. :P

In all seriousness, I find the need for these things incredibly sad.

Has self-reliance now disappeared to the extent that people today now need someone to organise them a communal space?

:(

The people in WV don't spend the entire festival there! They come onto the site and once they're inside are entirely indistinguishable from anyone else.

No one is making the same argument about Camplite or the Tipi Villiage either, the other official glamping areas, because they're inside the fence.

People are literally judging based on which side of an entirely arbitrary fence you're on. WV even had an easy-pass-out system this year, making it far more "part of the festival" than the campervan fields. I'm positive the only reason Glastonbury didn't move the fence was that it was a bit of a faff, but I can certainly see that happening in future years, at which point this will all look very stupid.

All the West camping fields (Rivermead, Bushy, Pylon) were outside the fence at some point in the past too, so it's not even about geography or land. It's literally about a fence.

Actually yes they are - you seem to be missing the regular mentions of how WV gets the attention as it's so noticeable but it's a general glamping issue

The in/out of the fence thing is kinda a straw man - i've known people who live close enough by to go home every night who fully join in with the festival - I wouldn't say they were putting themselves apart at all.

Similarly there are plenty of folk who do camp in WV who are doing it because of perfectly sound reasons (see all those above about efc's rents)

BUT there are also many who do it because they see themselves as different from the dirty mass of robbing scum in the main camping. Some of them are in main camping, some are in glamping be it tipis, WV or any other option.

They ARE visible - they keep themselves distant, they don't join in they get mardy as hell if your dirty boot passes over their picnic blanket of pristine life

Where they camp is just an easy way to bunch them together.

However this post will be ignored as anyone's objections sound pretty ridiculous when you make out it's just about the physical location of someone's tent or the fenceline. So I suspect we'll carry on along those lines.

It's not fair, it makes people who camped out there for perfectly good reasons feel bad and that shouldn't happen - folk who think they're better than everyone else I'm not so bothered about

Actually yes they are - you seem to be missing the regular mentions of how WV gets the attention as it's so noticeable but it's a general glamping issue

The in/out of the fence thing is kinda a straw man - i've known people who live close enough by to go home every night who fully join in with the festival - I wouldn't say they were putting themselves apart at all.

Similarly there are plenty of folk who do camp in WV who are doing it because of perfectly sound reasons (see all those above about efc's rents)

BUT there are also many who do it because they see themselves as different from the dirty mass of robbing scum in the main camping. Some of them are in main camping, some are in glamping be it tipis, WV or any other option.

They ARE visible - they keep themselves distant, they don't join in they get mardy as hell if your dirty boot passes over their picnic blanket of pristine life

Where they camp is just an easy way to bunch them together.

However this post will be ignored as anyone's objections sound pretty ridiculous when you make out it's just about the physical location of someone's tent or the fenceline. So I suspect we'll carry on along those lines.

It's not fair, it makes people who camped out there for perfectly good reasons feel bad and that shouldn't happen - folk who think they're better than everyone else I'm not so bothered about

You think these people don't also inhabit the rest of the site?

Joining in with fun? I'm sure they are having fun, but a different way to have fun than you.

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

well said

"Doesn't seem to be many posts from people who stayed in WV that give the impression they think they are better than those in the fence. Yet plenty of posts from inside the fence who assume those at WV think they are better. Why does it bother you so much?"

Also I'm bald so you can't tell whether my hair is clean or not. HA! Now how will you judge me?

Again, it's not about judging people by appearance, it's looking at their actions. You can see the difference, right?

Joining in with fun? I'm sure they are having fun, but a different way to have fun than you.

You seem to have added a lot onto what I said there. I just said joining in.

The festival is a communal activity and experience, the on-lookers don't add so much. e.g. It sure is lovely to just lounge in the pyramid and soak in atmosphere, but there used to be more when everyone was making it

well said

"Doesn't seem to be many posts from people who stayed in WV that give the impression they think they are better than those in the fence. Yet plenty of posts from inside the fence who assume those at WV think they are better. Why does it bother you so much?"

Actually a large proportion have commented that it was safer, tidier and worth it because it attracted "a different demographic" - they've judged it as being down to better people rather than litter pickers and increased security. I think that's the bit that smarts

This is interesting reading.

Doesn't seem to be many posts from people who stayed in WV that give the impression they think they are better than those in the fence. Yet plenty of posts from inside the fence who assume those at WV think they are better. Why does it bother you so much?

because it's a power imbalance isn't it? Just because they give the impression that they don't think they're better doen't mean it's not divisive.

For my part, I don't have a problem with WV/Camplight really.I have a much bigger problem with the glamping options. Whatever WV is, it's not glamping. That's pretty clear, I think.

because it's a power imbalance isn't it? Just because they give the impression that they don't think they're better doen't mean it's not divisive.

For my part, I don't have a problem with WV/Camplight really.I have a much bigger problem with the glamping options. Whatever WV is, it's not glamping. That's pretty clear, I think.

With all due respect Mardy, you're making a lot of assumptions here.

And for someone who doesn't have a problem with it, you're pointing out a lot of apparent problems with it.

What power does 'glamping' bring?

You seem to have added a lot onto what I said there. I just said joining in.

The festival is a communal activity and experience, the on-lookers don't add so much. e.g. It sure is lovely to just lounge in the pyramid and soak in atmosphere, but there used to be more when everyone was making it

Actually a large proportion have commented that it was safer, tidier and worth it because it attracted "a different demographic" - they've judged it as being down to better people rather than litter pickers and increased security. I think that's the bit that smarts

Indeed , that is the crux of it for me and no amount of obfuscation can take it away.

What power does 'glamping' bring?

yeah, sorry, my bad. By 'power' there I mean advantages/priviledges that the rest of the population don't have access to. And obviously there's a whole list of them.

I`ve never done anything but camp in a " normal " tent at festivals and to be honest I don`t have any issues with where anyone stays. Each to their own etc.

Was wondering though, do folks who are strongly against WV etc have the same view on people driving in and staying in their live in vehicles ?

Giving this some more thought.........I think the only time it might " annoy " me would be if we had all the other WV type camping / glamping options ( not your own tent ) in a sort of inner circle round all the stages and the  " normal " campers were pushed to the outskirts.

EDIT :

I`ve  just remembered that at Wickerman last year they moved the family camping out a bit and swapped it round with the VIP Tipi thingys. I`m off to get myself annoyed about this  :mad:

In fairness they have swapped it back for this year  :)

Edited by comfortablynumb1910

yeah, sorry, my bad. By 'power' there I mean advantages/priviledges that the rest of the population don't have access to. And obviously there's a whole list of them.

Having read your posts before I'm fairly sure I know the answer to this. Do you think you are better than those in society who cannot afford to attend the festival?

If as I believe the answer is no, then why would those who can afford / choose to do the 'glamping' think they are better than those who don't?

I have no doubt there will be some in WV etc who think they are better than those in the main site by the same token I have no doubt there are plenty in the main fields who think they are better than their neighbours. Just as is the case in every town, village, city, estate, street up and down the country. The type of accomodation you live in doesn't determine the person you are and your views. That's down to the individual.

I can't believe what I am reading here...............people having a problem with how others camp!?! It's time to get a grip people........have a long good look at yourselves and realise that not all humans are the same, don't post on here often as you tend to get shot down and ripped apart.....I had to post on this as it's absolutely bonkers!!! Ha ha

... In all seriousness, I find the need for these things incredibly sad.

Has self-reliance now disappeared to the extent that people today now need someone to organise them a communal space?

:(

I camped in the family field this year for the first time (Cockmills).

I was surprised that as there would be a large number of people with children (possibly something you'd expect in this field), and that it's not unusual for people with children to have carts / prams etc, no-one left any space to move things along.  Indeed, some people put their ropes up over existing tracks making cart movement all but impossible.

It was a good example of the "I'm alright jack" theory in practice.

I mean, why think about how your tent fits in with the surrounding ones, when you can pop it straight on top of a forming path?

I can't believe what I am reading here...............people having a problem with how others camp!?! It's time to get a grip people........have a long good look at yourselves and realise that not all humans are the same, don't post on here often as you tend to get shot down and ripped apart.....I had to post on this as it's absolutely bonkers!!! Ha ha

Come on, it's fun to grumble.

It's only 11 & a bit months until next time.  What can we do until then!?

I think most people who have issue with the increase in glamping and hospitality tickets have the issue because they have a perception that the increase in such options has seen an increase in the number of nobs and dickheads at the festival. If that perception is a reality then its understandable that folk have an issue with such glamping and hospitality................

Are there more nobs and dickheads at the festival since the rise of glamping and increase of hospitality areas? That may be a never ending argument/discussion

Indistinguishable apart from their freshly showered bodies and blow dried hair.

Glamping creates an unnecessary division it's undeniable. Why do you think there were reports of the people in the tipis getting heckled the year before last?

There are showers in crew camping, the backstage compound and ones available to everyone in the Greenpeace field. Try again.

Yes glamping does create a division but only in the same way black people create racism.