Worthy View Review

Jamieyorkshire

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably for the best! I'm stuck at home being annoyed at not being able to breathe so I'm just grumpy anyway today

I'm hungover so rather grumpy too, hope you can breathe easier soon.

While very few of us want the festival sanitised in any way, if fewer people left their shit behind the shift towards pre-erected camping areas probably wouldn't be so serious.

that was off topic really it was about the "villages" mentioned by some earlier in the thread that were pre-set up in Pennards with walkways and camp fires and how people used to do that themselves not about off site or pre-erected camping.

that was off topic really it was about the "villages" mentioned by some earlier in the thread that were pre-set up in Pennards with walkways and camp fires and how people used to do that themselves not about off site or pre-erected camping.

Ah I see.

I've never camped in Pennards and didn't know about them

As you were!

You would've got an upvote if I hadn't used them all today. I know I have a desperate habit of coming in once a day and catching up with pages of posts. Note to self, spend more time on efestivals

Trust me, efests is bad for you. It will suck every little bit of productivity out of you if you use it more often. I need therapy.

Trust me, efests is bad for you. It will suck every little bit of productivity out of you if you use it more often. I need therapy.

Tell me about it, though I tend to be in and out for long periods of time, I've been here since 2003 and only once reached 1000 posts even.

Russy's posts are like Goebbels though

I must confess that's where some of my upvotes went, he makes me laugh....sometimes

Edited by storm

There were 7 of them, all linked by paths that we kept open over the Wed and Thur until people were all camped up. These then served as conduits through Pennards making access easier. Each of the 7 'circles' had a different sort of personality and group running them - all had a campfire and communial chilling, cooking and even little makeshift stages in some cases. The concept was an official one and put together by the Green Party (we even received a visit from Natalie Bennett at one point). The idea was that if successful, the concept would be rolled out to similar sized camping fields next year. You can see the communial circles and their interconnecting paths on some of the aerial shots taken this year.

Ahhh, so that's what those were. I spotted them the one day and was quite impressed with what I saw (partly because it looked like a nice community of campers to be in, and partly because the interconnecting paths looked like it would make getting to tents a bit easier) but wasn't sure at the time whether they were officially organised or just the wonderful work of some really creative campers. Would be good to see similar rolled out to some other fields next year.

Kid a - meh. The missus loves it, but it leaves me cold. I suspect I only really like amnesiac for the lovely packaging (which is behind approx 27% of my love for the super furries, their singles are works of art!)

DeanoL, you've made a series of well reasoned, well articulated, nuanced posts on this thread.

That was not one of them. Can you elaborate?

Sure. Minorities cause racism, if everyone in the UK were white, we would have no racism by default (we would fight about other stuff instead but that's beside the point). But you don't fix racism by outlawing black people, you fix it by changing the attitude of racists.

Same thing we have here. Glamping causes divisions, yes, but only because a small set of people want to pidgeonhole then discriminate against glampers. You don't fix it by eliminating glamping, you fix it by getting those people to grow the hell up.

Festival togetherness and community isn't a factor of where you sleep at night, it's about treating everyone as your equal. The very people preaching this are the ones trying to ruin it.

Were they all in Pennards? How did I miss them?! I was near Arcadia, and the little row of food places inc Mr Tea's in the middle. Suppose you were further in and I never went in further than my tent! 

Have a look at image 3 and 6 in the link, then at 16 to place them better within Pennards. One entry / exit route in began just where you come out of the Green Futures field into Pennards and cross the dirt path that runs between Pennard Hill Gate and the Railway Line. Image 20 gives a good view too (my tent is the green one immediately on the centre-right of the upper circle).

As Neil says, shame that such community spaces have to be built for people when once upon a time many built them themselves, but that's the way its gone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/06/26/these-glastonbury-picture_n_7669286.html

Sure. Minorities cause racism, if everyone in the UK were white, we would have no racism by default (we would fight about other stuff instead but that's beside the point). But you don't fix racism by outlawing black people, you fix it by changing the attitude of racists.

Same thing we have here. Glamping causes divisions, yes, but only because a small set of people want to pidgeonhole then discriminate against glampers. You don't fix it by eliminating glamping, you fix it by getting those people to grow the hell up.

Festival togetherness and community isn't a factor of where you sleep at night, it's about treating everyone as your equal. The very people preaching this are the ones trying to ruin it.

That's bollocks cart-before-horse type reasoning.

Glamping doesn't cause divisions - it shows them up, exposes them and worsens them.

Again you seem to have returned to your favourite concept of it all being about where people sleep at night - as has been stated again and again and again it's about attitude/presumptions not geographical location - but I guess that rather diminishes your argument.

Then you try and diminish those people's point by belittling them and then ignoring the whole point they started with having set up a stupid one to knock down.

Boring. Not helpful.

they'll reject you cos of your age. :P

In all seriousness, I find the need for these things incredibly sad.

Has self-reliance now disappeared to the extent that people today now need someone to organise them a communal space?

:(

Yes, things have changed. The self-effort now goes into arriving tuesday and having a sleepless night in the car parks and several hours queueing if you want a spot on pennards (unless you flick some cash at camplight, ahem). If wednesday was still the easy day to arrive like it used to be  then you might have a point, but that's not how it is. Having organised communal spaces prepared before the gates open is a brilliant way of putting something back that's has been lost in the wednesday rush and should be applauded imo.

Edited by kerplunk

That's bollocks cart-before-horse type reasoning.

Glamping doesn't cause divisions - it shows them up, exposes them and worsens them.

Again you seem to have returned to your favourite concept of it all being about where people sleep at night - as has been stated again and again and again it's about attitude/presumptions not geographical location - but I guess that rather diminishes your argument.

Then you try and diminish those people's point by belittling them and then ignoring the whole point they started with having set up a stupid one to knock down.

Boring. Not helpful.

How have you come to determine what the attitudes of these folk are? What research method did you use? What was the sample size? Or are you applying your own preconceptions on people based on where they sleep?

How have you come to determine what the attitudes of these folk are? What research method did you use? What was the sample size? Or are you applying your own preconceptions on people based on where they sleep?

Read rest of thread, we're going in circles as people join later and raise the same straw men.

Actually the bits that got my goat this year was the two people who blanked me completely when I started up conversation, both gold wristbands, and the woman who in a very posh accent told me that she knew she didn't have to queue, but she wanted to, gold wristband. Almost every positive review I've read of external camping has called the standard camping dirty and theft ridden and spoken of how they couldn't bear to subject others to the standard experience.

The sample has selected itself and given it's own account to a great extent. I've no issue with where people sleep really, but I do have one with the misconceptions and judgements based upon that.