Worthy View Review

Jamieyorkshire

Are there more nobs and dickheads at the festival since the rise of glamping and increase of hospitality areas? That may be a never ending argument/discussion

I'm up for that. And yes. Though I think one might be symptomatic of the other rather than direct cause.

There used to be a bar to cross - that of realising a shower and style every day wasn't critical to your life, that being close with other people wasn't a threat to you or your life, that mud wasn't a reason to run to the luxury retreat - and it seemed to work out that the festival was full of very open minded people willing to all muck in together

That's gone in people's perception - it's now seen as much easier and you can bring your prejudices, crutches and barriers along with you - you don't have to put up with what those crazy people want - you can have a superior experience

There's a clip from BBC news back in the noughties where it shows us in the rain and the mud and the dense camping and it switches back to the reporter and she asks "What is wrong with these people that they enjoy this kind of thing?"

I ask what is wrong with you that you're too up-tight to try? To give the festival and it's people the chance?

That makes me grumpy I guess.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similarly there are plenty of folk who do camp in WV who are doing it because of perfectly sound reasons (see all those above about efc's rents)

BUT there are also many who do it because they see themselves as different from the dirty mass of robbing scum in the main camping. Some of them are in main camping, some are in glamping be it tipis, WV or any other option.

They ARE visible - they keep themselves distant, they don't join in they get mardy as hell if your dirty boot passes over their picnic blanket of pristine life

Where they camp is just an easy way to bunch them together.

But you've just acknowledged that its incorrect way to bunch then together because loads of them are in general camping and there's loads of sound people in WV.

There were 7 of them, all linked by paths that we kept open over the Wed and Thur until people were all camped up. These then served as conduits through Pennards making access easier. Each of the 7 'circles' had a different sort of personality and group running them - all had a campfire and communial chilling, cooking and even little makeshift stages in some cases. The concept was an official one and put together by the Green Party (we even received a visit from Natalie Bennett at one point). The idea was that if successful, the concept would be rolled out to similar sized camping fields next year. You can see the communial circles and their interconnecting paths on some of the aerial shots taken this year.

Were they all in Pennards? How did I miss them?! I was near Arcadia, and the little row of food places inc Mr Tea's in the middle. Suppose you were further in and I never went in further than my tent! 

I think there is a minority on here that feel they deserve to go to the festival more because they have been going for years and at the same time seem to feel that you will not enjoy yourself unless you do things their way. There is also a feeling amongst this minority that change is bad and they would rather options other than camping were not available and the festival remained in some sort of time warp in the good old days.

the reality is in any walk of life if you try and stay still you end up withering and dying, the festival has to grow change and innovate every year to survive. The organisers are not daft, they have created a product that is heavily oversubscribed - not easy and largely unique to any festival. The Festival needs to be open to as many people as possible, this includes people that would rather camp at WV or in a motorhome. Doing things like putting Lionel up against nobody are deliberate, look at the publicity and how good it looks on TV, the news reports about 100k people being there it keeps awareness up and makes people want to go, this is what they want they don't want a situation were tickets are not selling out straight away again.

There are showers in crew camping, the backstage compound and ones available to everyone in the Greenpeace field. Try again.

Yes glamping does create a division but only in the same way black people create racism.

DeanoL, you've made a series of well reasoned, well articulated, nuanced  posts on this thread.

That was not one of them.  Can you elaborate?

But you've just acknowledged that its incorrect way to bunch then together because loads of them are in general camping and there's loads of sound people in WV.

Don't get over-excited, I've been commenting on how it's a rather poor way to group such people in almost every single post of mine on this thread. I've said it again and again

I think there is a minority on here that feel they deserve to go to the festival more because they have been going for years and at the same time seem to feel that you will not enjoy yourself unless you do things their way. There is also a feeling amongst this minority that change is bad and they would rather options other than camping were not available and the festival remained in some sort of time warp in the good old days.

the reality is in any walk of life if you try and stay still you end up withering and dying, the festival has to grow change and innovate every year to survive. The organisers are not daft, they have created a product that is heavily oversubscribed - not easy and largely unique to any festival. The Festival needs to be open to as many people as possible, this includes people that would rather camp at WV or in a motorhome. Doing things like putting Lionel up against nobody are deliberate, look at the publicity and how good it looks on TV, the news reports about 100k people being there it keeps awareness up and makes people want to go, this is what they want they don't want a situation were tickets are not selling out straight away again.

What rot.

No-one thinks they have a right to go. People are complaining about things like glamping as they and the people they attract are the very things which are causing what the festival used to be to wither and die.

But you're right. The new breed of people want a sanitised festival and they will get their wish. They will also get an inferior festival.

Edited by russycarps

Maybe I have a romantic idea of what Glastonbury is. I don't see it as just a weekend away but a collective experience for people to be able to tap into something really beautiful. I always have a little joyful cry when I have settled into my camping spot. There's nothing like it. There are plenty of places like Dragon Field or where The Park and Arcadia are now located that people used to camp in but they have now been pushed out to other areas and I get the feeling that people are just fearful of Glastonbury becoming another arena type festival where there's no camping inside the fence. Which would be really sad and I just wouldn't want to go.

I don't really care where people are camping, everyone gets their Glastonbury experience based on what type of person they are anyway regardless of where they stay. I was originally replying to someone saying the festival was unsafe, which is isn't. I always think wouldn't it be wonderful if the whole world was like this. Unsafe is Hells Angels as security and people hanging around on corners with balaclavas and machetes. This is just not happening anymore.

efcfanwirral - I am old and unfit and could never make it up to Worthy View. Nearly died when going up to Strummervile this year. Don't think your parents would like you if you put them there. I go in only carrying my tent, pitch up, then go back for rest of my stuff later.

DeanoL- Over the years I have helped more young people having a tough time than anyone my own age.

Charm x

Think it's worth pointing out that the vast majority of WV is basic scout tents.

The glamping options are up there as well, way further back, but the majority of people stay in basic tents.

I'm not a fan of glamping either.

Outrageously expensive and geared specifically towards people who are considerably better off 

Are there more nobs and dickheads at the festival since the rise of glamping and increase of hospitality areas? That may be a never ending argument/discussion

I imagine they are strongly correlated but with no causal link. Kind of like:

Temp.jpg

Let's imagine a scenario where it would be possible to properly A/B test this... two otherwise identical festivals with one difference - festival A had regular camping only, while festival B had WV, tipis, campervan fields and off-site 'luxury' camping such as Camp Kerala etc.

If it were possible to attend both of these festivals with no knowledge about which was which, would you notice a difference between them in terms of atmosphere? My hypothesis is that they would be indistinguishable to the vast majority of people.

I think there is a minority on here that feel they deserve to go to the festival more because they have been going for years and at the same time seem to feel that you will not enjoy yourself unless you do things their way.

That's a pretty bitter and unpleasant way of trying to silence discussion isn't it. I'm pretty damn sure noone has said anything like that, yet this rather foul trope gets pulled out every time.

Ever wonder why?

Because it sounds way better than "fuck of ya c**t i'll do wot i want", but is still much easier than trying to understand someone else's point. But then again we're kinda in a thread all about how glamping can enable divisions in society so it's rather apt

I don't really care where people are camping, everyone gets their Glastonbury experience based on what type of person they are anyway regardless of where they stay. 

Now here's a comment that I think it's difficult to disagree with, whatever side of the discussion you may be on.

If it were possible to attend both of these festivals with no knowledge about which was which, would you notice a difference between them in terms of atmosphere? My hypothesis is that they would be indistinguishable to the vast majority of people.

I'd love to do this test.

I kinda do each festival - checking out the chair and blanket people's wristbands, looking to see who it is shrinking back when someone sits next to them, moving away when a scouse accent is nearby or shouting at someone for a splash of cider/mud.

There is a trend between those who wish to remain untouched by the festival and those who pay to be less touched by the festival.

There's a certain psychology at play I think, especially for first-timers who aren't sure about camping. I mean, the amount of people I speak to that say "I watch it on TV and would love to go but couldn't deal with the toilets and lack of showers" is tremendous. Reality is when they get their, they'll mostly find they can deal anyway, but WV offers a sort of safety blanket - a bit of a cushion before you jump entirely in.

This is exactly why we stayed in WV - first timers looking for a bit of a comfort zone before leaping in for future years. It can be quite daunting turning up and not knowing where to stay that's the safest, spaciest etc, so this gave us the chance not to worry, not to have buy a load of camping equipment, and to get to know the site for the future.

Thanks, finally someone can give some explanation as to the attraction of off site that isn't about showers and clean toilets as that was what I can't get. I get that first timers could feel that way I suppose, though the people I knew in WV this year said they're going back there as they only saw a few main camp sites and couldn't get my point that not all the camping is like that and that they can shower etc on site. Still I've 11 months to get it through to them.

This is the thing though, you don't have to 'worry' about anything camping in the main site.  Everywhere is 'safe', you can ask the camping staff where the most space is (or just go on Torts guide prior) and the only camping equipment WV provides you with is a tent, which I've never heard anyone struggle to buy.  Convincing first timers that it's best just to fork out the £400+ to stay at WV to ease themselves in to avoid some perceived 'stress' is crackers.

After my own experience, and reading the entirety of this thread, the only true advantage I can think WV has over the main site is that you can park a little closer to your tent, which just isn't a big deal to the vast majority of people who go to GF.  With all the disadvantages I think it is crazy to spend that amount of money on it.

Though I do agree with this too but hopefully when they do their first time they'll see it too.

the main site isnt safe throughout - note the thread about tent thefts.

I don't think it's a widespread problem though and only going to be an issue really  if you leave valuables in your tent. I've been going since 1990 and never had a thing stolen, even in 2000. We think someone was in our tent in about 1993 but it was such a mess anyway we weren't really sure and nothing was taken as there was nothing of value to take.

I have to say that WV did feel exceptionally safe. There were security towers dotted around the place. I don't think I've heard of any thefts taking place in WV, though I may be wrong. 

Those are actually (mainly?)  for fire safety and are to be found in most of the campsites. As above never had a thing stolen since I started going in 1990 in on site camping.

The thing that gives rise is that it actually happens to some people, even if it doesn't to you.

First time for me, group of 3 tents in WV, no thefts. Other friends in main site, two tents, both got stuff taken from them.

Obviously unlucky and clearly doesn't happen to everyone, but if it's your first time, do you really wonder why that puts people off?

as above, yes unlucky but use the lock ups and then there's nothing to steal.

we are all in it together.WV is part of the festival, and owned by GF. some people want to camp there, some dont. and some really dont and hate the people that do for some reason.  others want to camp in Tangerine or elsewhere.  Whats the problem? we live in a capitalist society where people have choice.

the main site is as safe as anywhere in the world on the whole, apart from the fact that tent theft is a problem. its naive to suggest that people are "just out of it" and that because it hasnt happened to you then it hasnt happened, which is just plain condescing to those unfortunate to have it happen to them. 

As above, nothing to steal means no theft and it's so rare anyway that it's still not a reason to pay hundreds more than you need to I think.

, I might be tempted by WV or similar, not because I'm better than anyone else (I'm obviously not), but because I find it increasingly difficult to bring all our camping stuff in and out each year. WV would provide an attractive alternative for me and my wife. We've both 'done' the real festival experience for over 20 years so there won't be any looking down on people if we ever did decide to go the WV route.

Don't they just provide tents though and you would still have to bring everything else. Maybe it's just me but our tent weighs v. little and it wouldn't make a lot of odds if we didn't have to cary that one item.

In all seriousness, I find the need for these things incredibly sad.

Has self-reliance now disappeared to the extent that people today now need someone to organise them a communal space?

:(

Whilst it's a lovely idea I have to say I agree as it could just be another move towards a more planned and sanitised festival in some ways. I was tempted to think why don't the stewards move those people blocking the entrances/exits to the pyramid during Lionel's set stopping peope getting in and out and then I thought where that could end up, things like set walkways, 2 flow traffic, one way in and outs with barriers etc and thought no leave it as it is.

Not silencing you frostypaw though it may appear so. I just clicked quote on your post by accident while multi quoting and didn't know how to remove the whole post when I was replying and couldn't face going back through to click the ones I did want.

Edited by storm

Not silencing you frostypaw though it may appear so. I just clicked quote on your post by accident while multi quoting and didn't know how to remove the whole post when I was replying and couldn't face going back through to click the ones I did want.

It's probably for the best! I'm stuck at home being annoyed at not being able to breathe so I'm just grumpy anyway today

Whilst it's a lovely idea I have to say I agree as it could just be another move towards a more planned and sanitised festival in some ways. I was tempted to think why don't the stewards move those people blocking the entrances/exits to the pyramid during Lionel's set stopping peope getting in and out and then I thought where that could end up, things lie set walkways, 2 flow traffic, barriers etc and thought no leave it as it is.

While very few of us want the festival sanitised in any way, if fewer people left their shit behind the shift towards pre-erected camping areas probably wouldn't be so serious.