Worthy View Review

Jamieyorkshire

Oxylers again for me this year, just as the hedge stops along the edge of Silver Hayes. Not the most fun but I didn't get robbed.

No way would I camp off site unless I was working.

We're always at the other end, along the green fence. Good atmosphere as always this year with a fire every night (except Friday maybe). Plenty of fires very close to us and lots of mixing between groups when stragglers turned up without their mates.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the point though - at Worthy View if you needed to do that you'd have a right mission on your hands. We ran out of vodka one night but just ended up buying from the bar as no-one could face the walk back to the tent to get another bottle. In all my years of going to Glasto I've never experienced this before - and we are all fit individuals (just getting on a fair bit).

If you look at http://glastomap.com/you can see that the far section of Worthy View is about the same distance to the gate as Pennards is from the Pyramid.

Just plan ahead, put wellies, vodka, fleece in a bag, stash it at a lock up in the way in of the morning.

Worthy View is convenient for us, we have camped in the main site but choose to stay there now - I'm not too sure how "off site" it should be considered now as there are no pass outs or showing tickets when you go in or out - unlike the campervan fields, you have a wristband. I'm not too sure why people are so concerned about others choosing to stay there, and not in the main site, if they put WV in the main site I would still choose it. The Tipi dwellers don't get the same reaction as people who stay at WV even though they also have showers and toilets. It's my festival and I will choose how I spend my time and where I will camp - exactly like everyone else that attends.

Who said that they thought everyone else should spend time at the festival the same way they do? Spend it how you like :) I do consider it off site though. I always considered the tipi field as just off site too.

It's just not for me. I've already partly paid to camp once and like to be sleeping in the festival itself not removed from it. But that's my choice :)

Plus one. Loved it in Bushy this year. Used to camp in Park Home but it's too noisy for me and too much of a walk these days. Much happier getting a few hours kip.

Cheers :)

I've camped all over the site and used to go to Pennards until a few years ago. But I'm always going to camp in Bushy now. It's near stuff but still quiet and roomy, "which is nice"! If you see someone sunbathing nude by their tent, that'll be me (no one ever cares! Nice to have a bit of that old free spirit feel at the festival still!), so come over and say hello :)

Cheers :)

I've camped all over the site and used to go to Pennards until a few years ago. But I'm always going to camp in Bushy now. It's near stuff but still quiet and roomy, "which is nice"! If you see someone sunbathing nude by their tent, that'll be me (no one ever cares! Nice to have a bit of that old free spirit feel at the festival still!), so come over and say hello :)

Will do :)

Did consider making it to Lost Horizons this year actually after your recommendations on here but didn't fit it in!

Just up by the cycle camping field. Btw we bring our 4 man tent on the plane (and coach) every year, did when the kids were small and we had to carry everything for them too. It's well doable I think

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not too precious to carry a tent.

Obviously stayed in a tent every year from 97 until last year, which was the first time I stayed in WV.

Popup tents make it a bit more awkward though (I know we could go for a more orthodox tent), and I have to admit the promise of showers, close car parking etc was enough to make me try WV last year, although it was primarily booked as we had a couple of (not young) newbies who wanted that bit of security.

I would be more than willing to go back to camping if there were showers within a civilised distance. It's got to the stage where I do value that morning shower too much to go without it for 5 days.

I would be more than willing to go back to camping if there were showers within a civilised distance. It's got to the stage where I do value that morning shower too much to go without it for 5 days.

stock-photo-a-camping-kettle-on-a-gas-st

standpipe_tap_cu_356.jpg

8873640329246.jpg

tick.gif

Hot queueless showers available within 2 feet of your tent.

Will do :)

Did consider making it to Lost Horizons this year actually after your recommendations on here but didn't fit it in!

Would be lovely to meet you! I camp at the bottom end, in the left hand corner as you are looking down. I'll always make sure to have a brew on!

Cool that you considered Lost Horizons :) You won't regret it when you do go. This year we had an hours naked yoga session, a big singalong with that singing group who were all dressed in red (although some of them got nude!) and there were some bands and solo singers playing too. Was bliss. It's so lovely though that I limit myself to just one day, Thursday, to spend all day there just clothed by the sun :) Otherwise I would spend all my time there and I can't have that, there's too much else to do innit!

be interesting to see how much those carping about how much WV is spent on festival "essentials".

My total festival spend was £480, incl ticket, food and booze and weed and a portion of new tent estimated over it's life's uses. Maybe add another £20 or so fuel.

How much was yours?

This turns into an ugly pissing match though as there are people who have perfectly fairly whacked a LOT out as it's their big holiday of the year, as much as there are people who just splash the cash and leave all their shit behind. A number alone tells you very little.

But I don't think having money to spend is actually anything that annoys anyone (much, maybe one member) - it's more that it introduces a them/us feeling.

Plus I'm really weirded out how people keep bringing it back to WV - not many people have a problem with that, it's more the Tangerine Fields and LoveFields and Snoozebox etc end of the mental market who are nothing to do with the festival, they're purely taking advantage. WV was set up by the festival - only problem i have with it is it discouraging folk from actually trying joining the hoi polloi and realising we're nice

Mostly.

be interesting to see how much those carping about how much WV is spent on festival "essentials". 

Not sure about £250 I'd say (actual festival spends) but main holiday of the year and not a penny of that spent on things you get with off site camping like showers, clean toilets, quiet, litter free etc as I paid for them in my ticket price so don't really get the relevance.

Plus I'm really weirded out how people keep bringing it back to WV - not many people have a problem with that, it's more the Tangerine Fields and LoveFields and Snoozebox etc end of the mental market who are nothing to do with the festival, they're purely taking advantage. WV was set up by the festival - only problem i have with it is it discouraging folk from actually trying joining the hoi polloi and realising we're nice

Mostly.

Frostypaw I agree there's a big difference between WV and others, love.fields  £250 for a patch of grass to park your car and pitch your (own) tent being a prime example.  My problem is more when you ask them why they camp anywhere off site the answer is usually for the showers, clean toilets, less litter and thieving and the quiet at night. As these are all things you can get for free inside I fail to get it.

My problem is more when you ask them why they camp anywhere off site the answer is usually for the showers, clean toilets, less litter and thieving and the quiet at night. As these are all things you can get for free inside I fail to get it.

Don't you go challenging their assumptions about the world eh, they know they're of a better calibre than the unwashed, toilet filthing, litter dropping, noisy criminals inside and there's no arguing with them.

Way too many scousers in there too. Generally a lot of assumptions about people and things and a way of spending a bunch of cash and avoiding the whole 'challenging' situation. Who wins out of that? I genuinely don't see how anyone comes out better off apart from the scammers. I fucking loved the sunday evening chats I used to have with spangled first timers whose whole system of values had been shaken to the ground, lost and bemused at how they were going to go back to their job at the bank and give a single shit.

This does not happen anymore :/ they probably stayed in a yurt next to a stock broker and estate agent and shared some bubbly before a shower and heading out for the evening

God these forums! I love them and hate them at the same time. People are so quick to jump on each other if someone is doing something other than what they think is "the right and pure way to do Glasto" or if someone dare word something that's taken out of context. Chill out FFS (not the shit "super" group).

I went for my 7th year and as there were only 2 of us and we couldn't go till Thurs we decided to book WV. We were worried about it being too far out, too quiet, no atmosphere and couldn't have been more wrong.

Yes the hill's a bit steep (it's over in 5 minutes max and you're that ratted you don't even really feel it!), yes it's quieter and yes you have to be more planned for the day as you can't just nip back to the tent but that's the beauty of the lock ups, take everything you need for the day!

We found the whole thing brilliant. A quick walk in from the car to our squirt (yes, we were slightly pissed off as they weren't advertised) and we were settled in within an hour of parking. We hardly took anything with us as we're packing professionals after years of going. We had lovely people around us who all swapped stories any time we happened to be at the tents at the same time. People really helped us out too when we lost our car keys and therefore couldn't get to some of our stuff.

NONE of these people were snobs and weren't looking for glamping. They were all ages and nationalities which was brilliant. Everyone either wanted a change, had travelled from abroad or couldn't get there during the mental Wednesday rush to get a good spot and didn't want to be sniffing the bogs for the whole weekend from their pitch in a ditch.

I would definitely do it again, however I will be going with my little boy next time and it might be a bit far for him to trek every day so will look at other options which I'm sure will piss purists off for countless reasons. Maybe even the fact I'm taking a child will already have pissed them off!

Anyway, rant over.

We really enjoyed WV and it was nice to see a different side to the festival. The views were incredible, the tent sturdy and convenient and we didn't even use the showers as we didn't want to miss out on stuff queuing.

Would definitely recommend it.

God these forums! I love them and hate them at the same time. People are so quick to jump on each other if someone is doing something other than what they think is "the right and pure way to do Glasto" or if someone dare word something that's taken out of context. Chill out FFS (not the shit "super" group).

I went for my 7th year and as there were only 2 of us and we couldn't go till Thurs we decided to book WV. We were worried about it being too far out, too quiet, no atmosphere and couldn't have been more wrong.

Yes the hill's a bit steep (it's over in 5 minutes max and you're that ratted you don't even really feel it!), yes it's quieter and yes you have to be more planned for the day as you can't just nip back to the tent but that's the beauty of the lock ups, take everything you need for the day!

We found the whole thing brilliant. A quick walk in from the car to our squirt (yes, we were slightly pissed off as they weren't advertised) and we were settled in within an hour of parking. We hardly took anything with us as we're packing professionals after years of going. We had lovely people around us who all swapped stories any time we happened to be at the tents at the same time. People really helped us out too when we lost our car keys and therefore couldn't get to some of our stuff.

NONE of these people were snobs and weren't looking for glamping. They were all ages and nationalities which was brilliant. Everyone either wanted a change, had travelled from abroad or couldn't get there during the mental Wednesday rush to get a good spot and didn't want to be sniffing the bogs for the whole weekend from their pitch in a ditch.

I would definitely do it again, however I will be going with my little boy next time and it might be a bit far for him to trek every day so will look at other options which I'm sure will piss purists off for countless reasons. Maybe even the fact I'm taking a child will already have pissed them off!

Anyway, rant over.

We really enjoyed WV and it was nice to see a different side to the festival. The views were incredible, the tent sturdy and convenient and we didn't even use the showers as we didn't want to miss out on stuff queuing.

THIS!!!

Anyway, rant over.

Carol, welcome to the Internet.  Some people may have different opinions to your own.

Took the eldest lad in 2000 aged 9 and took the next in 2008, again aged 9 and didn't have or want the option of staying anywhere more "comfortable" or "safer " than the family camping inside the fence. Does seem like some are trying to convince themselves that it's unsafe somehow to stay with the masses,utter bollocks of course.