• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In short

No litter

No thieving

No atmosphere.

That said, how much atmosphere does one want when trying to sleep? The only thing I could tell you about the atmosphere on Pennard Hill is the sound of NOS canisters and tent thieves.

That said, how much atmosphere does one want when trying to sleep? The only thing I could tell you about the atmosphere on Pennard Hill is the sound of NOS canisters and tent thieves.

Got to agree with this. The era of sitting around campfires chatting at night is long gone. I barely saw my neighbours this year. I didnt see a single campfire in our vicinity.

One wants to feel the atmosphere for every minute they are there.

If you're outside your tent you can be out and about in the festival. Don't get why people both spend hours a day at their tents, and then go back to 'get ready' for the evening?

TO back up the original poster, we stayed in WV this year after 2 years on Pennards Hill.

It was a brilliant decision. WV is well worth the £125 extra if only to avoid the huge queues and subsequent walk with 30kg of stuff when getting in on the Wednesday morning, and the hassle of finding a decent spot to pitch up.

Does it have its own queue? Just curious if there's anything to stop the truly rich buying the ticket for the car park and queue skip, then going on site and camping wherever?

I repeat - don't camp in Pennards Hill.

I say it every single "where's the best campsite *eagereager*" thread because I know what will happen is people will start saying pennards - often people who have camped there for years with the same people and all turn up real early in huge groups. Everyone new, and I mean everyone, then tries to cram in too. Loads of young eager to get to the party and get wrecked festival goers

Then they proceed to 'get to the party' and are usually half-blasted for the rest of the festival - it's fun, you gotta do it - but the tent thieves know it's a field of wasted newbies, the wasted newbies have no idea how not to piss off their neighbours, make a mess and vomit/piss on your tent and then you have all the guy lines in the known universe to negotiate to get out for a wee.

Nah.... Pennards sucks. Only time as bad was being up in the middle of a wodge of Big Ground.

Just camp somewhere sensible and it's all gravy. Never had problems any other year (9 happy campings out of 11) - nice neighbours, bit of chat all good.

Does it have its own queue? Just curious if there's anything to stop the truly rich buying the ticket for the car park and queue skip, then going on site and camping wherever?

To get in through the gate and get your wristband you have to show your booking confirmation for the tent... So as others have said it would cost you around £400 as a minimum to queue jump...

Are you aware of Camplight who offer tents set up for you within the main festival right at the top of Pennards next to the Stone Circle and Tipi field?

No hill, no tent to bring and I believe they have a constant communal campfire. Short nip to Greenpeace field for hot showers. Could be a better balance for next year for you

I was going to say this. My friends stayed there this year as two of them were coming from overseas and I think it's cheaper. Your tent is pitched for you in a central area and they spoke very highly of it.

Personally I didn't want to pay the money and I didn't want to camp in a Pennards. Too noisy. I have sympathy with people wanting a decent nights sleep but I've more than got this on Bushy and Darble. Costs no more, toilets were fine and we were right near a security tower so felt pretty safe. I'd never do worthy view because of the distance and feeling of being outside the festival as much as the cash. Sites near ped gate A are just far enough out for me.

Interesting reviews though and as been said before Eavis seems keen on this direction.

20 minutes to get from one end of WV to the other though?! How big is it? And if it's that big why doesn't there feel like loads more space on the actual site? Or did they cut public camping?

If you're outside your tent you can be out and about in the festival. Don't get why people both spend hours a day at their tents, and then go back to 'get ready' for the evening?

Agree with this. We take a day bag with everything we need and don't intend to head home until the end of the night. On Friday we were forced to due to the rain and not having wellies on it but otherwise we don't bother.

Agree with this. We take a day bag with everything we need and don't intend to head home until the end of the night. On Friday we were forced to due to the rain and not having wellies on it but otherwise we don't bother.

That's the point though - at Worthy View if you needed to do that you'd have a right mission on your hands.  We ran out of vodka one night but just ended up buying from the bar as no-one could face the walk back to the tent to get another bottle.  In all my years of going to Glasto I've never experienced this before - and we are all fit individuals (just getting on a fair bit).

If you look at http://glastomap.com/you can see that the far section of Worthy View is about the same distance to the gate as Pennards is from the Pyramid.

To get in through the gate and get your wristband you have to show your booking confirmation for the tent... So as others have said it would cost you around £400 as a minimum to queue jump...

Isn't it just a difference way in and different parking?

What advantage would it give in the above situation?  Just curious.

Isn't it just a difference way in and different parking?

What advantage would it give in the above situation?  Just curious.

I think they are just saying that technically you could pay for Worthy View camping/parking and first thing on Wednesday walk straight through into the main site and pitch a tent at the top of Pennards, thus getting a prime camping spot without waiting for hours in queues.  You would have to be crackers to do it though.

Edited by Smitho77

I think they are just saying that technically you could pay for Worthy View camping/parking and first thing on Wednesday walk straight through into the main site and pitch a tent at the top of Pennards, thus getting a prime camping spot without waiting for hours in queues.  You would have to be crackers to do it though.

Ah, got you.

I don't think it would work though.  Even if you wanted to try. 

I was in gate C by 8:15 this year, and at the family fields 5 min later - and there were already about 50 tents fully set up.  Possibly more, who knows.  I noticed a lovely set-up in a small "nook" in the bottom edge of Kidney Mead, that would give you morning shade, and a very short walk to the Pyramid track, but would be deep in enough to avoid the mud.  Only possible downside would be drainage, but it looked unlikely.  It was occupied by a large gazebo and well set up ring of tents.  I doubt very much that was people in the line to get in from the "outside" - you'd have to be terribly pushy as others would be setting up around you.

The only "real" way to beat the line would be to either be crew, of have crew friends, I think.  You might beat the majority of the punters, but I would be reasonably sure that by 8am on Wed, the top of Pennards (the bit not taken by the pre-set camping area) would already have many a tent up on it.

20 minutes to get from one end of WV to the other though?

From my personal experience, I would say that's a bit of an exaggeration. We were at the back end of WV in the large scout tents. 10 mins roughly from tent to gate; 5 mins tent to showers; 5 mins to car. Bit slower on the way back up, but that short steep hill really isn't an issue if you have full use of your legs/lungs (I wouldn't like to have to push a pushchair or wheelchair up it though...!). Having done many, many years camping onsite starting in 1986, our group likes it primarily for the short walk from car to tent - it really is a god send. It also means we're closer to the areas of the festival we spend most time in - Greenfields/Park/WH/Avalon. But yes, it does lack some atmosphere. That said, we're all getting on a bit now, so that's a small sacrifice, plus we had lovely neighbours this year for chats and drinks on Wed/Thurs.

From my personal experience, I would say that's a bit of an exaggeration. We were at the back end of WV in the large scout tents. 10 mins roughly from tent to gate; 5 mins tent to showers; 5 mins to car. Bit slower on the way back up, but that short steep hill really isn't an issue if you have full use of your legs/lungs (I wouldn't like to have to push a pushchair or wheelchair up it though...!). Having done many, many years camping onsite starting in 1986, our group likes it primarily for the short walk from car to tent - it really is a god send. It also means we're closer to the areas of the festival we spend most time in - Greenfields/Park/WH/Avalon. But yes, it does lack some atmosphere. That said, we're all getting on a bit now, so that's a small sacrifice, plus we had lovely neighbours this year for chats and drinks on Wed/Thurs.

I accounted 5 minutes of time childishly playing around with that ribbon thing at the entrance.