Chances of getting my coach ticket before I set off?

footix2

There were 3 of us going to Glasto but one had to pull out of the trip.

My mate is taking the campervan and I have a coach package ticket from Preston.

Ideally it would better if I could avoid the coach to share the driving down. Anybody have an experience on coach trips. What are the chances of getting the festival ticket before departure or before the services stop?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the previous occasion I used the coach (Birmingham) the driver was insistent the tickets only got distributed at the service station stop - which was I think the last one on the motorway before turning off from Glastonbury.

Clearly this maybe different from driver to driver but as the point of the coach package is to reduce car use you can't blame them for only giving tickets out close to the site.

Also remember you need photo ID on the coach and a copy of your email booking to get the ticket

I guess it depends then. Someone else told me they got theirs at boarding. I'll just ask when I get there

It's just down to which driver you get... everyone on my coach got theirs before we set off. However, we didn't even stop anywhere on the way there as the journey wasn't that long

Edited by TomViolence

Was given my ticket before I got on the coach last year, so could have decided not to get on and to drive down instead if I wanted, but what on earth would have been the point.

Like others have said, it depends on the driver, but I wouldn't count on it. And if they don't give it to you before boarding but do give it to you before stopping at any services, they aren't going to let you take any luggage out of the hold.

I see the pre-Glasto cheer is lost on some!

The reason people get frustrated is the coach packages are offered early for people willing to put up with the inconvenience of getting the coach in order to have first shot at tickets. And it's always an inconvenience - even if you want to go by coach, booking National Express separately is cheaper, has a wider range of departure points and let's you pick your time.

If you know you don't want to travel by coach, there is a 100% certain way to ensure you don't have to, and that's to not book a coach ticket in the first place.

I got mine in the resale. I won't have luggage for the hold as my mate is taking me to Preston then onto Glastonbury with a camper.

I don't mind going by coach. Just wondering as it'll save my mate driving 8 hours alone. So you can put your soapboxes away tbh

If he follows the coach the driver may hand out the tix after an hour or so and you can bail and join your mate. Don't give the driver a hard time though. There was a total knob on our Bristol coach last year shouting and being offensive at 6am. I was silently hoping the (lady) driver would rip his ticket in two (not a very charitable thought I know). He was an idiot and there were kids on the bus.

Edited by Neville Street

The reason people get frustrated is the coach packages are offered early for people willing to put up with the inconvenience of getting the coach in order to have first shot at tickets. And it's always an inconvenience - even if you want to go by coach, booking National Express separately is cheaper, has a wider range of departure points and let's you pick your time.

If you know you don't want to travel by coach, there is a 100% certain way to ensure you don't have to, and that's to not book a coach ticket in the first place.

Yeah I totally understand that but the OP was just asking a question... and didn't buy a coach ticket with the intention of trying to beat the system

The coach packages are there for a reason - it helps the festival meet carbon footprint and traffic targets stipulated in their liscence from the council.

It's a pain the arse, but a necessary one, and travelling is such a small part of the festival. I'd grin and bear it.

I got mine at the departure point last year. I explained my situation to the driver who talked to the manager and my problem was solved. I was already inside the coach with all my stuff, ready to go. 

I had a last minute presentation to give in a conference in london in the afternoon, so would be horrible to take the bus to glastonbury, train back, conference, train back. They trusted me. I'm not sure how they'll react if you just say that you want to drive up with your mates though.