ID - ok to take photo of passport?

wetflame

So I somehow managed to lose my girlfriend's driver's licence at some point over the last few weeks and now the only form of ID she has is her passport. Is it ok to take a photo of that to show at bars etc to avoid having to bring it to the festival and carry it around all day? She's 28 now but for some reason still thinks she's going to get ID'd. She does look a bit young to be fair though. Anyway. Anyone think there'll be issues with that?

So I somehow managed to lose my girlfriend's driver's licence at some point over the last few weeks and now the only form of ID she has is her passport. Is it ok to take a photo of that to show at bars etc to avoid having to bring it to the festival and carry it around all day? She's 28 now but for some reason still thinks she's going to get ID'd. She does look a bit young to be fair though. Anyway. Anyone think there'll be issues with that?

sorry but No chance - as a photo can be edited its impossible to tell if it has or not so all the Bars will not accept it.

she shows up with her valid passport { bars will not accept a cancelled passport } and collect a Challenge 21 wristband at the ' Challenge 21 tent ' and then stores her passport in lock up's - end of problem.
  • Upvote 2

sorry but No chance - as a photo can be edited its impossible to tell if it has or not so all the Bars will not accept it.

she shows up with her valid passport { bars will not accept a cancelled passport } and collect a Challenge 21 wristband at the ' Challenge 21 tent ' and then stores her passport in lock up's - end of problem.

Just out of curiosity - why don't bars accept cancelled passports? Surely if you're over 18 when it expires, you won't have got any younger since?

I'm sure there is a reason, I've just always wondered that,

Challenge 21 tent and wristbands seem a great idea.

Just out of curiosity - why don't bars accept cancelled passports? Surely if you're over 18 when it expires, you won't have got any younger since?

Usually because a passport lasts ten years - a person can change a lot in ten years so it's often difficult to see if they resemble the person in the picture.

When I used to work in bars people tried to use expired passports where they were about 12 years old in the image but were well into their 20s....

Usually because a passport lasts ten years - a person can change a lot in ten years so it's often difficult to see if they resemble the person in the picture.

When I used to work in bars people tried to use expired passports where they were about 12 years old in the image but were well into their 20s....

Knew there'd be a reason.... remember going on holiday when I was 17 with a passport from when I was about 10 (it'd got an extra 2 years because there was some chaos in the passport office when I was supposed to renew it). 

Really no idea how they knew it was me.

its always been a current passport as other wise people could show up with a old passport with photo well out of date + people may be less willing to tamper with a  current passport rather than a old passport - it saves all the messing about and trust me there would be a few who would show up with a cancelled child passport and claim it was them { even although they may only be 10 in the photo } - each year some people will bring photocopies which are completely worthless.

Thanks for all the replies - I knew about the wristbands but as glasto-worker has said elsewhere they can stop being accepted at the drop of a hat so was hoping there was a better way of doing it all. Doubt she'll have a problem, I'll bring the passport and we'll get the wristband but I imagine it'll be me going to the bar rather than her anyway! 

Just out of curiosity, what are the C21 wristbands made of? Paper?

Edit: Just seen a photo and they're the standard "wrap this around your arm and hope that the sticky bit doesn't trap all your arm hairs" kind. 

Edited by wetflame

Thanks for all the replies - I knew about the wristbands but as glasto-worker has said elsewhere they can stop being accepted at the drop of a hat so was hoping there was a better way of doing it all. Doubt she'll have a problem, I'll bring the passport and we'll get the wristband but I imagine it'll be me going to the bar rather than her anyway! 

Just out of curiosity, what are the C21 wristbands made of? Paper?

Edit: Just seen a photo and they're the standard "wrap this around your arm and hope that the sticky bit doesn't trap all your arm hairs" kind. 

bar staff will use a lot of common sense if they do get suspended and its not every year they have been - any problems then ask for a Line Manager .

• 4 years later...
7 hours ago, Tiaxox said:

I lost my valid passport this weekend but have a photo of it on my phone, would that work to get into clubs? 

the odds are NO

I could take any image and change the DOB on it in seconds so a image proves nothing.

the key part of below is ' If you look under 21 ' so a person who was 30 could still be asked as the bar person has a split second and most will not take any chances.

bars.thumb.jpg.91210c8e4d4388c06b7e5a0c9d1b74df.jpg

On 6/22/2015 at 10:36 AM, wetflame said:

I lost my driving licence a few months ago and it was only £20 to get a replacement - arrived within a few days.

Unless you look about 13 you arent going to get ID'd at the bars. If you do, and there really is a problem, don't worry get someone else to buy the pint for you. 

Pretty trivial thing to worry about. Im not sure who is worse, a Glastonbury barman who actually asks for I.D (get a life), or someone who ask this kind of question months in advance on an internet forum. 

• Downvote 1