Walking time between stages

briddj

That's all well and good, but your analysis does not take account of when you need a mighty turd explosion when going from point A to point B via point Longdrops

or my cousin's meandering.

Yeah the timings seem a bit off to me but I'm a fast walker, I always thought that a table showing the distances in meters using the actual shortest possible walking distance would be better, and possible using qGIS, but it would take ages to build all the vector files which tbh I can't be arsed to do.

Ok so I did it, sort of, here it is:-

gallery_5843_636_20384.jpg

This should be used as a rough guide only, due to computer truobles I couldnt do it exactly as I would havve liked (its not propper LRS anaysis for those interested as my PostreSLQ seems to be out of action). I had to manually coded the routes taken based on my experience of festival, so these may not always be the shortest possible route in reality but hopefully this gives an indication of distances invloved

The distances assume the type of crowd denisty around mid afternnon meaning that you can cross stage field slightly behind the mixing position, distances for outside venues are calculated roughly to the mixing position and for tented venus the the points taken are roughly the centre of the rear wall of the tent. Fields are roughly to the centre point of the field.

John Peel to the Stone Circle is 2km...

...fuckanory!

Ben

So about a 15 minute walk then?

I know it isn't, but as a newbie I'd probably think that it was given that it takes me about 15 minutes to walk a mile. Dunno why everyone's being so down on the times graph. Obviously a walk will take longer if you stop half way but for the most part the times are accurate enough if you're trying to get from one band to another without dallying too much.

My first Glastonbury was 10 years ago ; as a fresh faced festival Virgin, I had massive plans to see a dozen or more acts a day all over the site. Little did I appreciate the size of the site.

My approach to the festival is much more Zen now - only *plan* to see 2 or (max) 3 acts a day - and count anything you see in between as a pleasant bonus. You can very easily get distracted by some new music you just have to stay for as you're passing between stages.

I know it isn't, but as a newbie I'd probably think that it was given that it takes me about 15 minutes to walk a mile. Dunno why everyone's being so down on the times graph. Obviously a walk will take longer if you stop half way but for the most part the times are accurate enough if you're trying to get from one band to another without dallying too much.

It's not that I'm being down on it particularly its just that 'walking time' is quite subjective and the chart is largely based on memory and perception so I thought I'd add this one as another way of looking at it. It is certainly possible to walk from SC o JP in 15 minutes at 6am when there's nobody about but from my experience I would take about 20-30 minutes on your own at say 4pm and probably up to 45 minutes towards headliner time

I wasn't really referring to you, a lot of people were saying it was next to useless, which isn't true. If I was going from my tent (Oxlyers/Other) to watch someone on the Pyramid with a couple of mates, I'd make sure we left 15 minutes before the act started at the very latest. I know people like to see Glastonbury as a magical unpredictable place where you can't walk down a path without also spending half an hour being taught glass blowing or something, but as a rough guide of how long it will take you to get between two bands you want to see, the graph is pretty good.

I wasn't really referring to you, a lot of people were saying it was next to useless, which isn't true. If I was going from my tent (Oxlyers/Other) to watch someone on the Pyramid with a couple of mates, I'd make sure we left 15 minutes before the act started at the very latest. I know people like to see Glastonbury as a magical unpredictable place where you can't walk down a path without also spending half an hour being taught glass blowing or something, but as a rough guide of how long it will take you to get between two bands you want to see, the graph is pretty good.

It's a miracle they're allowed to bring the glass in to be honest

100%

• 2 weeks later...

Probably just leave West Holts at the back of the field turning left up to the Railway and then right along the Railway. Along there for a bit then take a left somewhere around Spirit of '71.

Beaten to it, but we're both saying the same way so that's a positive.

Edited by TheNewUnion

Can someone tell me what the fastest route from West Holts to The Park would be? Want to see as much as humanly possible of RTJ and Sharon Van Etten on Friday evening.

I'd walk directly away from the stage. When you reach the junction that has the leftfield tent on your right, I'd take a left which goes up hill towards the glade. At that point you can carry on and should be signposted (I think)

Yeah even though I knew I did have a little panic that I may have remembered wrong and sent some poor newbie on a wild goose chase.

Although if I had, they'd have still had the best of times so maybe we were wrong to send them the right way.

It's okay- I loosely know my way around, won't get lost! I just want to cut this one journey down to the minimal possible time.

Looking at Glastomap, there's a path that goes from Green Futures straight to the heart of The Park through Pennards. Could this save a couple minutes?

• 6 years later...
Just now, Junglist1981 said:

I'd go along the railway then down past Greenpeace and up through Williams Green. Probably no quicker though tbh

I'd probably take a route twice as long going fuck knows where, it's a lot easier sitting here with google earth in front of me