keeping tent cool

alexwetherell

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has gone to sleep freezing but been woken up in a boiling hot tent at 7/8am in the morning. What would people recommend to.keep a tent nice and cool? I can deal with the freezing part in early hours but waking up boiling hot doesn't make my hangover any easier..

sound advice - I also use a layer of space blankets that reflect the sun rays which is between the inner and outer tent { they don't have to be on the outside } it knocks it down a fair bit - I also tend to work early in the morning as I see no point baking in a hot tent - lucky enough in the afternoon I have a handy tree { a really big tree } in our crew area that gives great shade hence why I camp in the same spot each year.

2013-wbc-30.jpg

Space blankets sound like a good idea. Will give that a crack as I found a two pack on ebay for £1.89!

Last year I ended up sleeping with the door open, helped a bit. A nice air con unit would have gone down a treat though!

depending on the size of your tent you may need more than that -
if you look at this image you can see part of it sandwiched at the rear of the tent I think it took four taped together but I knew it was covering the right side and that blue covered fencing also cut down the sun as well .
you need them taped together as with a bit of wind they will slip down so its more like a extra flysheet. - well worth the money.

2013-wbc-125.jpg

Good point, I'll get a couple extras. My tents pretty much the same size as that so I reckon four is the way to go. I've got some electrical tape in my Glasto pile already so that should hold it together.

Going to need it this year as its going to be so hot and sunny!

... if you're happy to live in a rustling crisp packet for 5 days. ;)

There's a reason why you don't see many tents doing it.

Yeah, Glasto-worker's tip of having them between outer tent and flysheet makes that not such a problem though, but to be honest yours was the top tip, that's my method every time. I've tried the space blanket thing and it didn't make half as much of an impact as the shade of a well placed sleeping bag unzipped on top of the tent.

My sleeping bags a bit chunky to put on top of the tent, the weight would make it slide off! I do have an old sheet at home I was going to put in the recycling. Would this really make much difference? I might try the sheet and space blankets.

I have a feeling its going to be a hot one this year! :cool: :cool::cool: http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/glastonbury/ba6-9/june-weather/330614?monyr=6/1/2015

Ive been thinking of the idea of get 4 hoses, like you would use on a dryer, then 2 computer fans( small and quiet), attaching to hoses to each fan,and the have one sucking air from outside and putting it in low, and the other high up inside the tent sucking the warm air out, when i drink it sends my temp high, so when i was getting changed my clothes where getting drenched, so the heatd hell for me inside my tent

Edited by waynewdk

Just got a quechua msh3 for the kids. Tons of ventilation, mostly silver and easy to put up (air beams). Decathlon clearing them out £120 instead of £220. Not the lightest tent but seems to be very well made / designed

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking just taping a bit of tin foil in between the inner tent and outer sheet, just in the direction of the morning sun? Is that a daft idea?

Buy emergency blankets from Poundland. You get two in a pack and they're a decent size. Reckon 4 blankets taped together would cover the best part of an average 3 man tent and would be stronger and less hassle than trying to tape together bits of tinfoil.

I tried the silver blanket thing but it rustles a lot.

Some years back I took a silver tarp instead and a couple of decent hazel poles. Combined with a bit of paracord and some pegs I set up a shade over the tent fairly easily and it worked a treat.

Edited by ink1ing