Glastocam!

pauladam

On 7/1/2022 at 7:47 AM, Robjbrear said:

Did they have a bonfire up there in 2019 so had to rope it off for safety reasons? However this year there was the lotus flower which wasn't getting burnt till Sunday so they didn't need to? 

There was definitely a bonfire there in 2019. The top area had stewards and was cordoned off. This year it was only the fireworks on the Wednesday. It felt a lot busier this year. We struggled to find a space, so watched from the tipi field. x

1 hour ago, Jensescapade said:

There was definitely a bonfire there in 2019. The top area had stewards and was cordoned off. This year it was only the fireworks on the Wednesday. It felt a lot busier this year. We struggled to find a space, so watched from the tipi field. x

They had bonfires on the hill this year too, not on the hill above the park but definately stone circle field and the field in between above the Tipi village.

Edited by Dave_c

Just had a quick look at the cam during the festival - could anyone tell me what the massive empty field "above tipi village" is used for? is there anything there? I don't remember walking through it and was just curious! Never made it up to strummerville unfortunately which is a small regret from this year! 

10 hours ago, Neville Street said:

One year I’m pretty sure it had loads of flags in it (proper big ones like the ones around the site) and was called Flagtopia. I think it was 2008 or 2009 as I remember doing a random 130-3am full lap from Kidney Mead all the way around and we sat there for a bit under one of the flags.

Flagtopia was going as recently as 2015. I’m not sure when or why it stopped. 

10 hours ago, Neville Street said:

One year I’m pretty sure it had loads of flags in it (proper big ones like the ones around the site) and was called Flagtopia. I think it was 2008 or 2009 as I remember doing a random 130-3am full lap from Kidney Mead all the way around and we sat there for a bit under one of the flags.

I can remember going to that field and sitting within the flags one evening in 2008.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

Flagtopia was going as recently as 2015. I’m not sure when or why it stopped. 

Looking at the webcam archive, 2015 was the last year they put the flags up there.

To be honest I hadn't even noticed, but it's shame. The last time I went up there was in 2014.

image.thumb.png.40a557c459a7b734cadae1ec880180fe.png

If it stopped in 2016 do you reckon it had anything to do with that being an incredibly difficult start to the festival and, I think, some things like track-ways (and maybe flag-poles?) not arriving onto site until very late?  2017 / 19 then then were setting up things like cinemargeddon / glasto-on-sea and maybe it just got lost in the mix.  

There didn't used be be a bar at the top of the hill though, so they've probably added more than they took away 🙂 

14 hours ago, Cheesey said:

Looking at the webcam archive, 2015 was the last year they put the flags up there.

To be honest I hadn't even noticed, but it's shame.

In all honesty - this is the first time I've realised, and I think at the time it passed without comment on here as well - which might well be why they thought the money could be better spent elsewhere (or possibly, the flags better utilised elsewhere).

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Looking lovely this morning, wouldn't it be lovely to wander round the remnants of the festival today!

I had exactly the same thought yesterday, the fence is down now (mostly) so at what point are you allowed to use the public footpaths etc again? 

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Itwill be sometime yet , once all the vehicle movements have stopped and the place totally cleared. 

There aren't actually many legal rights of way through the site anyway that I can find, and it seems they've deposited a CA16 statement to protect the land from the opening of further routes... 

There's SM16/28 that goes from just north of Sticklinch, across the back end of Silver Hayes and the JP towards Pilton, but that's about it... So I guess technically (other than maybe this route) they can keep you off for as long as they want. 😕 

• Like 1